so to all UK uni graduates/3rd years etc, what would you say is the difference in workload etc between the work you need to do to get a first and the work you need to do to get a 2.1?

i'm just interested to see what my next couple of years are going to be like in terms of work
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I thought you meant gettng a fist...

Use lube.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
In first year there's no difference - chances are that if you've done a lot of the stuff in secondary school you'll get good marks. After that I dunno :P

I'd expect the workload to start to rise in second year. If you're out of your depth, however, you'll know about it very quickly.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Depends on your course really.
If its something with relatively straightforward answers or definatively 'correct' answers (business, maths, accounting) its not too bad (but still fairly hard).
Essay writing and argumentative courses (sociology, law etc.) have very high standards for a first.
There it mostly depends on the lecturer and your ability to argue a point.
Let me put it this way: it's 70%+ to get a first down here.

Let me put it into perspective: a 75%+ essay is considered publishable.

Work your tits off.
Quote by titsmcgee852
I thought you meant gettng a fist...

Use lube.

same
There is quite a lot of difference between a first and a 2:1 on my course, I'm hoping for a 2:1.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GHJ
There is quite a lot of difference between a first and a 2:1 on my course, I'm hoping for a 2:1.

what course are you doing?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
i'm doing economics
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

I'm in my final year now. In the library... on the internet

I would say you have to do an awful lot more work if its anything like here. Learning is fun.

Depends on what you're studying though, I guess
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Something which differentiates a 2:1 from a 1st is the ability to other issues that aren't even mentioned as well as better analysis of the problem question. That's really all there is to it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Getting a first is pretty tough, i'm on the 3rd year of my masters, and holding a decent 2:1 score, i don't think i'd have any sort of social life if i tried to work for a first, this might just be engineering though
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
My bro was 2 points off a first, and it can make little difference.

Depends what you have done. If you are at that level you usually always do tests and stuff after Uni anyway, so...
It depends on how intelligent/naturally hard working etc you are....

I'm in my 3rd year of psychology and I'm well into a first with a good average so far this year....depending on your course you only need to work hard at certain points, I worked my ass off in 3rd term last year (10 hours a day in the library) but I did piss all for the rest of the year and it paid off.......

Oh, and if you have to do a dissertation get started early, mine is 12,000 words and counts for 3 of my 16 modules, and so far it's looking like I'm gonna get a first for that....

A first is quite easily doable if you enjoy your course, cause then working is much less of a chore!

Final point, first year is piss easy and in pretty much every uni in the UK it doesn't actually count to your final mark.
Quote by Domino
I'm in my final year now. In the library... on the internet

I would say you have to do an awful lot more work if its anything like here. Learning is fun.

Depends on what you're studying though, I guess

at least half of this library are on bebo/message boards.

Ya to get a first is pretty difficult in comparison to the effort needed for a 2.1. I'm aiming for a first though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
what course are you doing?

Geography MA, in my fourth year honours (four year system in Scotland), my dissertations due in next week

If you put in a lot of effort, firsts are obviously attainable, but I just don't have that level of commitment I guess. The people who are going to get firsts in the course are fairly obvious to me, some people are just head and shoulders above others intellectually.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Ur all $h1t
at least half of this library are on bebo/message boards.

I'm always terrified people will see me on UG and like.. stalk me or something
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Domino
I'm always terrified people will see me on UG and like.. stalk me or something

Stalk you?

Hmmm...
*prepares to wonder around the library looking for someone on UG*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
My thoughts on this is that the jump between a 2:1 and a 2:2 is bigger than between a 2:1 and a first. In my uni, if you don't do any background reading, or read around the subject and don't show evidence for it, you can't get higher than 59%, which is a 2:2. If you can get a 2:1, you certainly can get a first- it's just about pushing the boat out a little further.
On my course you got a 2:2 if you learned what was taught and understood it.

2:1 if you learned what was taught, understood it and augmented it with relevant external reading

1st class if you learned what was taught, understood it and augmented it extensively with relevant external reading.

However that's only in regard to the exams, obviously if you got 5 1st level exam scores but your dissertation, disertation presentation, Honours project report and viva all went down shit creek then you're not going to get a 1st.