tried using google, but keep getting varying results

surely she can't have, because she was merely born into her role, and wasn't voted in?

i heard she "technically" can say no to political proposals, but she doesn't?

anyway, someone please help clear this up!
the monarchy has no political power.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
she has no real political power as outlined in the Bill of rights - and any laws passed must pass through the commons 3 times, the Lords 3 times and then must recieve the royal seal - too which the queen has no power to refuse as the Lords have already voted, and they carry more power (politically)
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Technically if war is to be declared by England on somewhere else, it has to go through the queen first...
But i heard that if she ever says no, all the government has to do is take a vote to eliminate the power of the monarchy and then they're in!

So i've heard....

<.<
>.>
----
The monarch is formally the sovereign of your nation, as well as Canada and Australia. She has a lot of formal power, and seen as there is no written constitution the power exercised by the royals can vary with each generation and/or with different governments.
The royal assent is a token power for the queen put simply. Yes it is her decision but it would provoke a political crisis if she actually used it because it is just something that was put in place to keep Charles the fourth happy after the English Civil War when we changed to a constitutional monarchy.

she has the power to raise tea taxes on the United states though...
Yes, but only in theory. She can veto most parliamentary decisions (but she wouldn't unless it was a serious threat to human rights or something, especially given that it would probably provoke parliament to abolish the monarchy), and she can actually dissolve parliament if she wants to, but if she did there would probably be protesting and rioting. She's the only one who can call elections, but she's "advised" when to do so by the current Prime Minister.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Dec 13, 2008,
The Queen can say no to political proposals, but this would simply provoke a vote in Parliament to remove Royal prerogative if not to remove the monarchy outright.

The Monarchy is an outdated institution that needs to go.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by Trickycindy
The Queen can say no to political proposals, but this would simply provoke a vote in Parliament to remove Royal prerogative if not to remove the monarchy outright.

The Monarchy is an outdated institution that needs to go.

I'm glad we agree.

Care to continue where Guy Fawkes left off? Except we do it at Buckingham Palace!
Quote by maggot9779
I'm glad we agree.

Care to continue where Guy Fawkes left off? Except we do it at Buckingham Palace!

MI5 is now camped outside your house.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I'm not British myself but I've heard that the people love the queen or whatnot so basically she has the leverage of the 4th power - mass media?

Like she could use her position to inform the country of a bad/not-so-good reform and thus the people would become restless and she could veto the reform with no ill consequences to herself?

Idunnah!
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

I'm very liberal and all for the Royal Family.

Remove them, and you probably have celebrities replace them. N000oooo!!
Quote by BloodMoon666
I'm not British myself but I've heard that the people love the queen or whatnot so basically she has the leverage of the 4th power - mass media?

Like she could use her position to inform the country of a bad/not-so-good reform and thus the people would become restless and she could veto the reform with no ill consequences to herself?

Idunnah!

Actually no-one really gives a shit about her. The only thing she's good for is as a tourist attraction.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
She could have you beheaded for questioning her authority
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Quote by break-me-in
Actually no-one really gives a shit about her. The only thing she's good for is as a tourist attraction.

How can no-one give a shit about an icon of their country?

You're young and don't give a crap but I think that everyone interested in politics don't share your sentiments.

I mean it's like in the US. They have the president as their icon. Most people hated/disliked G.W. Bush eventually but it doesn't mean that every single one of them wanted to discard the position of the president just for that one reason. And yet you're here telling me that you don't need the one thing that everyone in the world relates to Great Britain. How's that?
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by BloodMoon666

Idunnah!

No, this is completely untrue. People in England like the Queen because English people make a fetish out of tradtition and the fact that we have a monarchy, even though England was the first counry to execute a monarch, 100 years before the French Revolution.

The Royal family is scandal-ridden and a waste of money. The Queen lives in the biggest council house in England, overlooking the council housing that we have to put up with. I bet the Queen doesn't have to wait 3 weeks for pest-control, the plumber or even a f:ucking policeman.

The Queen's political opinions are irrelevant and it is a major part of the her power-relation with parliament that the Monarchy stays out of political affairs. If she got involved it would lead to a backlash against her.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by BloodMoon666
How can no-one give a shit about an icon of their country? You're young and don't give a crap but I think that everyone interested in politics don't share your sentiments.

I mean it's like in the US. They have the president as their icon. Most people hated/disliked G.W. Bush eventually but it doesn't mean that every single one of them wanted to discard the position of the president just for that one reason. And yet you're here telling me that you don't need the one thing that everyone in the world relates to Great Britain. How's that?

Because she gets given our tax money to do very little. Her role is only a formality, and otherwise she serves as a cultural icon, not a political one. Only the right wing want her kept in power, and only some of them at that.

It's a totally different situation, ridding the US of the Presidential position would lead to political collapse. Ridding us of the Queen would do very little to affect us. People might miss the Queen's 5-10 minute speech on Christmas day, that's it. Plus, I'm not suggesting it because she's doing a bad job, I'm suggesting it because she's not really doing a job. She's a glorified Paris Hilton with more impressive jewellery.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT