Page 1 of 4
I personally hate them. Flat dynamically, dark and generally uninteresting sound.

Im curious..

Why does anybody rate them?
because some people have different tastes to you
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Horlicks
Because TUBES ARE THE BEST AND YOU WILL GREAT TONE FROM ANY AMP AS LONG AS IT HAS TUBES.

This
Valvekings are the next step up from a practice amp, so any time you read a review, chances are that it's being compared to a 15W MG. Therefore, it gets great reviews.
I think they're decent amps for the money too, have the peavey name, lots of features, etc.
They're tube. They sound reasonably good. they're CHEAP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The valve king sucks I agree. I really don't see no reason to buy one now that bugera came out. I understood before.. some people couldn't afford a great tube amp but preferred having a tube amp over a solid state amp. so it was a way to get into tubes without the price. But now bugera has came out... Which has the same kindof tone as the more expensive tube amps for the cheap price. I personally don't see how anyone could try out a valveking and a bugera and buy a valveking. And talking about cheap parts.. the valveking also has a lot of issues. It's not made like a tank like the peavey 6505. It's best to save up for the 6505 if you want a peavey. There is a reason you hear a peavey 5150/6505 on almost every metal record. Even if the band don't use them live it's on one of their cd's more than likely. Even bands who never mention it... If you look in megadeth's recording studio.. there it is the 5150. Look in metallica's... there it is the 5150. And then look at all the bands who have went back to them. Chimaira dropped engl and went back to the 6505. Unearth dropped their vht's and went to 6505's. Trivium dropped their Marshalls and went back to 6505's.
Quote by hcsn2008
The valve king sucks I agree. I really don't see no reason to buy one now that bugera came out. I understood before.. some people couldn't afford a great tube amp but preferred having a tube amp over a solid state amp. so it was a way to get into tubes without the price. But now bugera has came out... Which has the same kindof tone as the more expensive tube amps for the cheap price. I personally don't see how anyone could try out a valveking and a bugera and buy a valveking. And talking about cheap parts.. the valveking also has a lot of issues. It's not made like a tank like the peavey 6505. It's best to save up for the 6505 if you want a peavey. There is a reason you hear a peavey 5150/6505 on almost every metal record. Even if the band don't use them live it's on one of their cd's more than likely. Even bands who never mention it... If you look in megadeth's recording studio.. there it is the 5150. Look in metallica's... there it is the 5150. And then look at all the bands who have went back to them. Chimaira dropped engl and went back to the 6505. Unearth dropped their vht's and went to 6505's. Trivium dropped their Marshalls and went back to 6505's.

Um, VK's are pretty reliable in comparison to bugera... Which needs a correct bias and a once over by a tech.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by hcsn2008
If you look in megadeth's recording studio.. there it is the 5150. Look in metallica's... there it is the 5150. And then look at all the bands who have went back to them. Chimaira dropped engl and went back to the 6505. Unearth dropped their vht's and went to 6505's. Trivium dropped their Marshalls and went back to 6505's.

The problem IMO is, none of the bands you listed have a really great tone. An argument could be made for Megadeth and Metallica maybe, but I don't think the element of their tone that was good came from a 5150. The only great 5150 user is the original. Just my opinion.
Quote by oneblackened
Um, VK's are pretty reliable in comparison to bugera... Which needs a correct bias and a once over by a tech.

I've read more threads about VK's breaking down. I know people personally that have had VK's break down. Everyone that has gotten a bugera from my bugera dealer has had no problems. I have had mine since day one with stock tubes and nothing wrong with it. The bias is fine with me. It's exactly the same as the peaveys. Some people don't prefer it and some people want it biased warmer. When I do a tube change I will probably get it fixed but still it's a small price to pay to have the tone that the bugeras have. The VK just can't stack up to it. Honestly my bugera is just as good as my peavey 6505 which cost me 1200. And before anyone says I don't own them like they always do I'll post the pic once again. And I like showing them out hehe.
oh my god, am I really hearing this? "They are good because they are tube?"
I have heard SS amps sound better than some tubes. For example, the B-52. Thing sounds like a Ukrainian ****ing a goat. When compared with the Line 6 vetta it's no comparison. The line 6 further adds insult by being better at modeling other types of amps with built in effects etc.

Just because something is tube doesn't it make it grand master. Valvekings sound very thin, I am personally not a fan. The Fender '57 and marshall vintage modern are two more amps that arent the greatest. For shred I'd take a Ibanez tone blaster over the valve king, it's got a thicker sound and you don't have to scoop the mids to get the metal sound.

Fact is, there are probably 20 people on this forum who are familiar with true tube tone. The rest of you coudn't tell the difference between a tone blaster, a peavey windsor, a marshall JCM800 and an orange rockerverb without someone telling you.

So shut the **** up.
Quote by mindstealer
The problem IMO is, none of the bands you listed have a really great tone. An argument could be made for Megadeth and Metallica maybe, but I don't think the element of their tone that was good came from a 5150. The only great 5150 user is the original. Just my opinion.

What? dude have you ever saw Chimaira live? I have saw many of bands live and rather you like Chimairas music or not their tone live is literally the best tone I've ever heard. And it's all 6505. Both guitar players use them. Unearths tone is also awesome now that they went back to 6505's. Not to mention I have played shows with tons of bands who have had much more expensive amps than me. Everytime they say man you're peavey is awesome I got to get one. Megadeth and metallica actually don't have anywhere near as good of tone as Chimaira. If they used a 5150 live it'd sound a lot better. The 5150 has played a big role in a lot of bands recordings sounding the way it does. Killswitch engage for one... framus users. recorded the end of heartache with a 5150 and a framus cobra and dragon with a slo dashed in there. And amazing tone on that album.
Quote by WACOM
I have heard SS amps sound better than some tubes. For example, the B-52. Thing sounds like a Ukrainian ****ing a goat. When compared with the Line 6 vetta it's no comparison. The line 6 further adds insult by being better at modeling other types of amps with built in effects etc.

Just because something is tube doesn't it make it grand master. Valvekings sound very thin, I am personally not a fan. The Fender '57 and marshall vintage modern are two more amps that arent the greatest. For shred I'd take a Ibanez tone blaster over the valve king, it's got a thicker sound and you don't have to scoop the mids to get the metal sound.

Fact is, there are probably 20 people on this forum who are familiar with true tube tone. The rest of you coudn't tell the difference between a tone blaster, a peavey windsor, a marshall JCM800 and an orange rockerverb without someone telling you.

So shut the **** up.

Dude the guy who said that was being sarcastic and was making fun of people who say that. And for what I said... Some people want to get a tube amp and it's their only option with what they can afford. But I agree. There is solid state amps that sound better than the valve king
Quote by WACOM

So shut the **** up.

that was sarcasm from horlicks, calm your ass down.

damn, beaten
Quote by hcsn2008
Dude the guy who said that was being sarcastic and was making fun of people who say that. And for what I said... Some people want to get a tube amp and it's their only option with what they can afford. But I agree. There is solid state amps that sound better than the valve king

I was making the point that SS has come a LONG way since the 1990's and IMO can easily compete if not outdo a lot of tube amps.
Tubes are finicky creatures, they are also heavy and cumbersome. SS will never wear out, tubes will never break, they can be plugged into a mixer board directly.
They are just a lot easier to use, you also get the same tone no matter the volume.

Get a GOOD modeling SS and you've got a good amp.

If I was gonna suggest a good SS amp I would actually suggest you don't bother with an amp. Get a line 6 X3 live, you can plug it into a mixer and have it on the PA system. You can have all your effects, amps and tones right at your feet. Best part is you don't have to have an A/B selector and two amps to go from a fender to a marshall or vice versa.
Quote by Highwaytohell
its all a matter of personal taste

personally, I think 5150s sound fizzy and dry

/thread

It does when people don't know what they are doing. Go listen to some Chimaira, the new album on youtube or somewhere. Go listen to the new trivium album go listen to the new unearth. Go listen to the end of heartache by killswitch. None of that sounds fizzy at all. i know my tone isn't fizzy at all. But when I first got a 5150 and it was my first tube amp it was. I had no idea what I was doing. I set the eq like i did my solid state amp. I ****ing hate when I go to see a band live and they have 5150's and they have the presence maxed out. And the highs up. It's ear screaching. Also the lead channel can sound a little fizzy at low volumes you have to open up the power amp gain louder and you see why the amp has the fizz. Because when it gets louder you see the dynamics in it and notice how that fizz turns into a really brutal sound. But at a low volume it just sounds like fizz. It's made to be loud.
Quote by hcsn2008
It does when people don't know what they are doing. Go listen to some Chimaira, the new album on youtube or somewhere. Go listen to the new trivium album go listen to the new unearth. Go listen to the end of heartache by killswitch. None of that sounds fizzy at all. i know my tone isn't fizzy at all. But when I first got a 5150 and it was my first tube amp it was. I had no idea what I was doing. I set the eq like i did my solid state amp. I ****ing hate when I go to see a band live and they have 5150's and they have the presence maxed out. And the highs up. It's ear screaching. Also the lead channel can sound a little fizzy at low volumes you have to open up the power amp gain louder and you see why the amp has the fizz. Because when it gets louder you see the dynamics in it and notice how that fizz turns into a really brutal sound. But at a low volume it just sounds like fizz. It's made to be loud.

Trivium has **** sound... thanks for backing his point.
Quote by WACOM
I was making the point that SS has come a LONG way since the 1990's and IMO can easily compete if not outdo a lot of tube amps.
Tubes are finicky creatures, they are also heavy and cumbersome. SS will never wear out, tubes will never break, they can be plugged into a mixer board directly.
They are just a lot easier to use, you also get the same tone no matter the volume.

If I was gonna suggest a good SS amp I would actually suggest you don't bother with an amp. Get a line 6 X3 live, you can plug it into a mixer and have it on the PA system. You can have all your effects, amps and tones right at your feet. Best part is you don't have to have an A/B selector and two amps to go from a fender to a marshall or vice versa.

I would say a SS amp can be better than the valve king but you are dead wron gother wise. A line 6 x3 into a PA cannot compare to a good tube amp. Neither can a solid state amp. Yeah it can beat a valveking out but not a finer tube amp. A digital effects processor in a PA will not do so either. I used to know these guys who swore their effects processors into a PA would kill any amp... I tried out for their band with my 5150 and their jaws were just dropped. Man nothing can beat the warmth and natural harmonics that the tubes give. That warm heavy sound when you hit a power chord.. It sounds so sweet. Especially with a tube overdrive driving those tubes and when they get really hot it's even sweetier. that's what tone is supposed to be. Having all these amp models and tones on a line 6 processor is nowhere near the real thing man. having a marshall on a processor is not the same as having the real tube amp marshall. It just simply can't even come close to the warmth and the clarity of a tube amp I don't care how well of a pa you have. THERE IS A REASON there are guitar amps. If this was the case we could just plug any modeling processor into some speakers and say yeah that's my amp. Yeah you can do that but you'll never have sweet tone. I get the feeling you've never sat in front of a fine tube amp that was turned up with the tubes burning and struck a power chord. That feeling man... It's worth every pennny.
Quote by WACOM
Trivium has **** sound... thanks for backing his point.

Triviums new album is peavey 6505's and the tone on that album is pretty damn good and if you say chimairas tone is bad then you have no idea what tone is.
not to mention if solid state has come a long way then bands would be using them more. Solid state is better than it used to be but 1's and 0's and digtal or analog solid state processors can never beat out the natural sound of warm tubes man. Theres just noway around it. Tube amps are going nowhere.
Quote by hcsn2008
I would say a SS amp can be better than the valve king but you are dead wron gother wise. A line 6 x3 into a PA cannot compare to a good tube amp. Neither can a solid state amp. Yeah it can beat a valveking out but not a finer tube amp. A digital effects processor in a PA will not do so either. I used to know these guys who swore their effects processors into a PA would kill any amp... I tried out for their band with my 5150 and their jaws were just dropped. Man nothing can beat the warmth and natural harmonics that the tubes give. That warm heavy sound when you hit a power chord.. It sounds so sweet. Especially with a tube overdrive driving those tubes and when they get really hot it's even sweetier. that's what tone is supposed to be. Having all these amp models and tones on a line 6 processor is nowhere near the real thing man. having a marshall on a processor is not the same as having the real tube amp marshall. It just simply can't even come close to the warmth and the clarity of a tube amp I don't care how well of a pa you have. THERE IS A REASON there are guitar amps. If this was the case we could just plug any modeling processor into some speakers and say yeah that's my amp. Yeah you can do that but you'll never have sweet tone. I get the feeling you've never sat in front of a fine tube amp that was turned up with the tubes burning and struck a power chord. That feeling man... It's worth every pennny.

The reason they still sell tube guitar amps is because idiots like you will still pay thousands of dollars because you have been told they sound good and can't be replicated.
Think about this, vaccume tube computers filled a room and had about the same processing power of a standard 6 function calculator. Write a computer program to randomize a standard straight note's minor to "color" it like a tube normally would. It's not really that hard to replicate a tube, line 6 is just the only company who has put the time into doing it.
If you have the right pedals, you can coax a faux-5150 rhythm tone out of the VK.

Valvekings can be great for balads and slow poetic indie, but the majority of the
players here play and learn to play with a degree of technical difficulty. Most players
on this site that have owned VK's outgrew them.

The Marshall MG does have a decent crunch to it after a super hot OD pedal and a
great cab. Thats all it does. When you place a VK beside it...the MG wins on crunch.
The VK beats the MG on tone, but it still clips at levels that are considered low to
intermediate+ players. It does not have a whole lot of head room.

Also...When you play the Valveking beside the MG in a room where you are not
distracted and do a fair comparison...the Valveking doesn't perform well enough to
justify the price difference. I am basing this on my experiences with two cabs:

Marshall 1960 straight 412....and a Peavey Windsor slant 412.

The VK does have one thing I enjoyed though. They dynamics of the tone can really
vary according to your playing. It is responsive.

With all of the reasons I have stated above..I call the VK an HD Solid State.
I have learned that when you buy an amp, you should purchase an amp that
can satisfy you with the on board settings.

A $1000 amp may seem steep...but its much better than buying an amp for $599
and having to spend $400 to dress it up...and its still lacking.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by WACOM
The reason they still sell tube guitar amps is because idiots like you will still pay thousands of dollars because you have been told they sound good and can't be replicated.
Think about this, vaccume tube computers filled a room and had about the same processing power of a standard 6 function calculator. Write a computer program to randomize a standard straight note's minor to "color" it like a tube normally would. It's not really that hard to replicate a tube, line 6 is just the only company who has put the time into doing it.

What are you talking about dude? Line 6 is making hybrid amps like spider valve because even they said it... "nothing compares to a tube amp" So now these companies goals are to mix their technology with tube amps. It's not IDIOTS buying anything. First of all a lot of bands can have ANY AMP THEY WANT and they get tube amps for a reason. Don't be mad because you can't afford one. I'm not an idiot for paying 1200 dollars for a tube amp. I care about my tone and I care about how I sound live. And everyone is always amazed at my tone and I was in a band where my other guitar player had a solid state amp. We all had to chip in and buy him a tube amp. We simply couldn't hear him in the mix with his solid state amp and it sounded like a toy and it was a high end solid state at that. Computers and amps are not the same thing dude. old radios had tubes in them.. they didnt sound as good as radios now. But when it comes to guitar amps nothing beats a tube.

again your defense made no sense. You say it's not hard to replicate a tube and line 6 has put the time into doing it.. yet it seems like nowadays line 6 is spending time putting tubes in their new products. You sir are a douche. Maybe you'll be able to get yourself a tube amp one day so you won't be so bitter towards people who have better amps. Don't be jealous over it.

and if you seriously think people buy tube amps for the simple reason that they were told they sounded better.... you are even more of a dumbass. People go and try out lots of amps and the tube amp they go for because it SOUNDS better it's that simple. IT SOUNDS BETTER. Theres nothing else to it. Nothing can beat a good tube amp. That warm tone compared to a solid state screaching tone... solid state cannot hold together at high volumes like a tube amp. Even the high quality vetta solid state amps lack having that warm tone that the tube amp has.
I've used Digital amps...Line 6's and Vox's...and with those types of amps the
signals can get all messed up when you add accessories. I'm not a big fan because
of these reasons. They can produce some nice tones, but you can have pedals
that cause some ugly sounding conflict with them. Sometimes you can have lag time
with areas of tone..and there can be huge gaps in tonality. When you add hot
pickups, Spiders can handle the 1st octave but struggle with the 2nd octave.
You will experience notes farting out..and it simply collapses on sustained bends below the 12th fret.

On the positive side...they can do some amazing things at low volumes.
They are a good choice in situations where you want to get ballz to the wallz sound without disturbing everyone around you. They can also bring back the feeling of listening to your favorite albums on cassette.

Digital amps can also be good for experimenting and learning your needs as a player as your ear develops. But i think the Digitech RP series and the Pod series...will do just
as well.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by hcsn2008
Triviums new album is peavey 6505's and the tone on that album is pretty damn good and if you say chimairas tone is bad then you have no idea what tone is.

Well my idea of good metal tone is Tony Iommi, and he uses laney TIs...
My other idea of good metal tone is Iron Maiden, and they use JMP pre-amps and marshall power amps

Trivium's tone is just... generic thrash tone. Whopedee do

just as i said, personal opinion.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well my idea of good metal tone is Tony Iommi, and he uses laney TIs...
My other idea of good metal tone is Iron Maiden, and they use JMP pre-amps and marshall power amps

Trivium's tone is just... generic thrash tone. Whopedee do

just as i said, personal opinion.

I agree, I listen to Chimaira, Trivium, and the 500 other bands that sound exactly the same and the tone is just lifeless scooped mids bull****. My idea of good tone is Gary Moore on Still Got The Blues and Parisienne Walkways, or Santana's more recent tone.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I've used Digital amps...Line 6's and Vox's...and with those types of amps the
signals can get all messed up when you add accessories. I'm not a big fan because
of these reasons. They can produce some nice tones, but you can have pedals
that cause some ugly sounding conflict with them. Sometimes you can have lag time
with areas of tone..and there can be huge gaps in tonality. When you add hot
pickups, Spiders can handle the 1st octave but struggle with the 2nd octave.
You will experience notes farting out..and it simply collapses on sustained bends below the 12th fret.

On the positive side...they can do some amazing things at low volumes.
They are a good choice in situations where you want to get ballz to the wallz sound without disturbing everyone around you. They can also bring back the feeling of listening to your favorite albums on cassette.

Digital amps can also be good for experimenting and learning your needs as a player as your ear develops. But i think the Digitech RP series and the Pod series...will do just
as well.

You're judging line 6 based on the spider? /yourself
That is like saying "marshall sucks, I had an MG and hated the tone."
Quote by WACOM

So shut the **** up.

You honestly can't compare a 52 AT and a Vetta II.... whole different ball games there. I would compare something in the price range of the Vetta..... to the Vetta.... not a $500 budget tube amp....
Quote by NJNoise
You honestly can't compare a 52 AT and a Vetta II.... whole different ball games there. I would compare something in the price range of the Vetta..... to the Vetta.... not a $500 budget tube amp....

The line 6 floor pod X3 live. go go go!
Quote by WACOM
The line 6 floor pod X3 live. go go go!

Pretty much....

There are modelling amps out there that are good.

The Vetta II, the HD147...hmm Line 6 has something going for them..... but to get to my point...

There ARE good modelling amps out there... but they are pricey.

I honestly can say though, that I would NOT suggest a Peavey 6505+ as a versatile amp. You can get a used VHT Deliverance 60 for $1100 easy.

I think THAT is a better suggestion.
Quote by WACOM

Tubes are not finnicky. Maybe if you're mentally ill, completely ignorant/unknowledgeable and/or lazy as ****. Then it might become a slight annoyance. Then again, so would CHANGING A LIGHTBULB.

I don't want the same tone at all volumes. That's pointless.

Line6 X3 lives cannot compare to a high end Marshall or Fender.

The effects aren't great.

I wouldn't want my amp run through a PA unless I was playing a stadium/arena where the PA costs more than my annual salary.

The only SS I'd ever buy is an AxeFX, and at that price I'd rather have a first gen Model T and some pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by WACOM

Your kidding right?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by xwearesinking
Tubes are not finnicky. Maybe if you're mentally ill, completely ignorant/unknowledgeable and/or lazy as ****. Then it might become a slight annoyance. Then again, so would CHANGING A LIGHTBULB.

I wouldn't want my amp run through a PA unless I was playing a stadium/arena where the PA costs more than my annual salary.

The only SS I'd ever buy is an AxeFX, and at that price I'd rather have a first gen Model T and some pedals.

Thank you sir!
Quote by xwearesinking

Oh my god, the irony. You don't just "change a lightbulb" you stupid ****. You have to get it rebiased. You also have to pay a pretty hefty price for the tube, then pay some ****head another $50-100 to rebias it.
Oh, and mr "I wouldn't want to run my amp through a PA" you will sound like ****.
Quote by WACOM
Oh my god, the irony. You don't just "change a lightbulb" you stupid ****. You have to get it rebiased. You also have to pay a pretty hefty price for the tube, then pay some ****head another $50-100 to rebias it.
Oh, and mr "I wouldn't want to run my amp through a PA" you will sound like ****.

Okay... I've had it.... reported.
Page 1 of 4