Alright, I just decided I need to sort my self out some bass gear. I've been playing guitar badly since forever, but I haven't really touched a bass since a band I was in very briefly like 8 years ago. Lots of musicians dump their gear at my house between gigs, so I've had an Ashdown five fifteen here for a couple of days, and I dragged out this Bass Collection SB300 to have a bit of jam.

First song I decide to learn was NIB by black Sabbath, and I had a lot of fun playing along to that, and decided that I had to get a bass of my own. I've just been killing my hands learning black dog

First priority is getting an amp, cos I'm delivering the Ashdown to a gig tomorrow afternoon, wheras the SB300's owner is unlikely to claim it any time soon. I'm probably looking for something cheap, solid state with about 100W and a 15" driver.

What should I be looking at? Ashdown and Behringer 115 combos seem within my price range, but I don't really know bass gear all that well yet.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
i was playing a Fender Bass amp yestardy

they decent

Ashdown are also prtety good
The UN-exiled one.
Ashdown and Acoustic are the general responses you'll get here. The Acoustic B100 is exactly what you just described. Peavey is a bit more expensive, but they have excellent small amps that are practically indestructible. Yorkville/Traynor is good too, but GC doesn't carry much of their stuff.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 13, 2008,
I think I'm about to buy an Ashdown fivefifteen on Ebay, it's probably the cheapest thing I'll be happy with. My friend's Ashdown which I was briefly using has been hauled to gigs all over the state over the last couple of years and it seems pretty reliable with a nice thick sound. Probably exactly what I'm after.

He also has an Ampeg SVT2 pro with a 4X10. 300W all tube, that thing sounds well sexy, but for smaller gigs and practice the Fivefifteen seems right on the money.

A better bass would be nice too, but the SB300 is in my house for the time being, so I may as well use it. I'll buy my own when it's owner finally collects it (he's since gone in a piano playing singer-songwriter direction).
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Dont buy that little piece of crap. It is the worst combo i have ever played, my rumble is better than it. See if you can get an ashdown mag.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's with all the Behringer hate? I have a BXL1800 and it's just fine...
Quote by bassbones
Whoa, whoa, whoa... What's with all the Behringer hate? I have a BXL1800 and it's just fine...

tell me that in a year.

it will be blown out by then.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ashdowns are quite nice. Fenders have their fans, but I always found the Rumbles to be a bit meh sounding to my ears.
Quote by bassbones

No it's not. Behringer makes horrible amps/cabs.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by anarkee
Ashdowns are quite nice. Fenders have their fans, but I always found the Rumbles to be a bit meh sounding to my ears.

Im not saying rumbles are good i cant wait to get rid of mine. Im just saying that thos sweet 15 things or what ever there called are terrible. The couple i played kept farting out, and bad natural overdrive. It just wasnt nice.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Check out Hartke too
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Ashdown
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by fatgoogle
Im not saying rumbles are good i cant wait to get rid of mine. Im just saying that thos sweet 15 things or what ever there called are terrible. The couple i played kept farting out, and bad natural overdrive. It just wasnt nice.

Sweet 15 is Warwick. reconsider statement.

And it's the Fender rumble series that define average. You were right first time. The one at my school is a complete POS.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The Rumbles are fair for their price, but not the best. It's not exactly sterile, but it's not a bad amp. It's a solid starter amp. Behringer, however, isn't.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Behringer sucks. A guy I know used their cabs once, blew them out on his first gig. not even half volume. look at ampeg too. or swr.
Sorry i cant remember the name of it im sure the warwick sweet 15 is very nice.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by ScottB.
Check out Hartke too

I did, and it turned out to be the best amp/dollar deal I was going to do. I now own a Hartke A100.

A new development is that my brother gave me a bass of my own for christmas. I have old tendonitis in my fingers from long shifts as a fruit grader (weird time of my life) and after watching me in a lot of pain after agravating it playing bass, he gave me this squier with a very low, easy to play action. It's helped quite a bit, and now I have a bass of my own that I can start tinkering with. It's a California series P-Bass, so no bragging rights, but it does play pretty easily, and the Hartke makes it sound decent and is more than enough to be heard over a drummer for practices.

I'm thinking a Bad-ass bridge and a better pickup, probably some tuners as well because I'm not really happy with the one's it's got. So far I've just added straplocks, after the strap slipped causing the bass to swing round and smack the tuners into my head. This beast is heavy and I got a nasty lump from that.

I still can't believe my little brother actually bought me an instrument.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

A Badass bridge and a Quarter Pounder pickup would suit your P-bass pretty well.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
A Badass bridge and a Quarter Pounder pickup would suit your P-bass pretty well.

I concur, and I'm keeping an eye on Ebay for cheap SD pups, because they're not cheap to have fitted at any of the stores around here. I do feel like I'm not getting enough around the bottom end on the squier pup, it kind of clatters out on the bottom E, even more so when I have in D.

How resonant am I going to find the "Hardwood body" on the California Squier (it's solid whatever it is). Is this bass going to be worth adding a whole lot of stuff to?
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by the humanity
tell me that in a year.

it will be blown out by then.

No, not really... I've had it for almost two years now.
Quote by bassbones
No, not really... I've had it for almost two years now.

maybe you're lucky.

but every damn one I've played blows out. every once and a while though, a good one gets out of the factory I hear.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Haha, maybe I am then. I should be knocking on wood or something though. I've got my first gig coming up this Thursday and another one two days after that, and no backup amp. I might upgrade anyway, as soon as I actually have the $$$ to do so.