Page 1 of 2
Hi all UG members!
i need help with choosing a new multi effect for my guitar. Right now i have an pod 2.0 but i need a better with pedals and more functions etc.

I've looked on things like Boss ME-50 and such but there are so many effect box so i cant choose. Help me to choose the right one! Thank you!

Sincerely, Charlie
I've got a Zoom 3.21u Multi-Effect pedal and it just does everything!
It's got everything from Octave Shifter to Flanger, Wah to Chorus, Distortion to Jazz Overdrive, Phaser to AutoWah.
I'm telling you this thing has THE lot. You can mix effects to make your own sounds. Comes with a manual so you know what you're doing with it. You can make custom distortion settings or mix Delay with Flange and Wah? It can do just about anything AND it has a drum machine in it!
I only paid $300(Aussie) for it and I'd trust to the end.
You couldn't go wrong with this pedal.
Trust me. Buy it, thank me later.
dont get a multi effects if your unhappy with a pod

reaserch into single stompboxes and pick and choose the ones you like the sound of, then you can get several of sounds you want and not over 9000 mediocre digital sounding ones

check out the danelectro cool cat range, all mega cheap, great sounding and have true bypass

and electro harmonix, boss are overpriced and not all that great so avoid them unless you have oodles of money and no common sense

but generally multi effects are fancy toys but if you want to get your own sound stompboxes are the way to go
well im not unhappy with my pod. I just want new sounds and inbuild pedals and even more functions.
What's your price range? As far as multieffects go, you can't get much better than this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-X3-Live-Guitar-Multi-Effect-Pedal?sku=150377

It allows you to have two split streams to have one guitar through two entirely different effect chains and amps to give it a harmonizing sound. Also has a looper, and tons of other effects.

The Boss ME-50 and all zoom pedals are just toys that kids buy when they are first starting out. The X3 live is actually something a professional will use.

I've known guys who have been performing musicians for decades doing cover bands, original material, etc and said it's easier to just have this pedal, a guitar and use this entire thing and plug it into the mixer and have it all come out through the club's PA.
I know I am good at guitar, not to brag, but it is something you feel after nearly 10 years playing.
I need some professional pedal and I saw that someone mentioned that the Boss and Zoom stuff is more toys. I have a lot of pedals and appliances, but not really any good and I am really happy with. I have my Zoom St2 as I play through USB but I would still have one on my live gigs and concerts and I was interested in the boss me-50. But I want to check up on where you mentioned, Wacom.

I can at the moment afford max 400$ since its almost christmas etc.

Thanks!
Quote by ibanezguy89
I know I am good at guitar, not to brag, but it is something you feel after nearly 10 years playing.
I need some professional pedal and I saw that someone mentioned that the Boss and Zoom stuff is more toys. I have a lot of pedals and appliances, but not really any good and I am really happy with. I have my Zoom St2 as I play through USB but I would still have one on my live gigs and concerts and I was interested in the boss me-50. But I want to check up on where you mentioned, Wacom.

Thanks!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-XT-Live-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150394

Could try that too, doesn't have the double layering, but if you can get over that they still share a lot of the same features. 84 effects, 36 amps, plus you can plug it into the computer and modify your tone there.

However, you may be able to talk the guys at GC down, or go to a smaller shop. I got the $400 one for $300 at a local shop. They get them dirt cheap and double the price in mark up.
Quote by ibanezguy89

Thanks!

I had heard the distortion is a little thin on the ME-50 and only comes with less than half of the effects. It also doesn't have the press wah, on the line 6 it works like a normal crybaby where you press down hard and it activates the wah, turn it off it's a regular pedal. On the boss you have to reach down and turn the knob to turn the wah on. Like I said, good for toying around with, but would be a bitch to use live. Not to mention you can't have any presets like the line 6, you can program a metal sound then have the modulation/delay to turn on/off and modify that sound. Then another press of a pedal you can go to cleans and have another modulation that sounds good with that sound. You don't have to mess with EQ either since it's all saved in no matter the current position of the knobs.
The LCD screen is also nice since it makes it easier to keep track of the status. Also, a pedal is dedicated entirely to a tuner for quick tunes.
But i still like all i've seen about the Boss ME-50
I like you can manage your own sounds for like metallica sound, paul gilbert sound, van halen (my favorite) im pretty sure you can do it with this too, but whatever. I like the boss me-50 on a couple of other ways.. still im not sure.
or i mean, i don't know which pedal is the best one. Sure, i can read and hook up several reviews but its kinda hard for me to decide :/
Quote by ibanezguy89
But i still like all i've seen about the Boss ME-50
I like you can manage your own sounds for like metallica sound, paul gilbert sound, van halen (my favorite) im pretty sure you can do it with this too, but whatever. I like the boss me-50 on a couple of other ways.. still im not sure.

You can do that with all pedals, the good thing about the line six is you don't have to spend 20-30 seconds redoing all the FX in between, one footswitch you've gone from Hammett to gilbert.
Quote by Highwaytohell
TC Electronics G-major

Does $400 price range elude you?
I like the Line 6 XT Live guitar multi-effect you named.
I see there's a couple of reviews to the right, but do you have some new reviews? I can't find any good quality on youtube or google.
I want to be satisfied with my purchase.
Quote by ibanezguy89
I see there's a couple of reviews to the right, but do you have some new reviews? I can't find any good quality on youtube or google.

Step 1. Read instruction Manuel to learn what the pedal has and familiarize yourself with the pedal.
step 2. Go to store and try it out
step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit
Quote by ibanezguy89

I ran an XT Live in the past and it was a solid multi-effects board.... stomp pedals right on it...everything you need at your feet......now I am switching to the TC Electronics.
However, I have the pedal and play it out of a cheap crate palomino 15w amp. (tube though) and it sounds awesome for recording. I have also played it out of a mixer board and into a PA system and it was SOO much easier being able to plug right in, have everything at your feet never having to worry about the amp.
Quote by NJNoise
I ran an XT Live in the past and it was a solid multi-effects board.... stomp pedals right on it...everything you need at your feet......now I am switching to the TC Electronics.

But you are very happy with it? and its very good too?
A friend of mine has the Boss Me 50. He wants my POD xt Live. There is a pretty big difference in tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by WACOM
However, I have the pedal and play it out of a cheap crate palomino 15w amp. (tube though) and it sounds awesome for recording. I have also played it out of a mixer board and into a PA system and it was SOO much easier being able to plug right in, have everything at your feet never having to worry about the amp.

Ok because if i buy this one, i will use it in my studio (my bands studio) and not very much at home. And there we usually used to plug in my POD 2.0 ( as we still do until i buy a new one ) in the mixer and out of two big great speakers.
The BOSS multi-effects are good except for the wah pedal.

I personally wasn't a fan of the distortion but its just because it wasn't very good for what I play.

Its good for modulation though, thats why I still have mine. The EQ is good for shaping tones also.

I would reccommend getting a Crybaby or a Weeping Demon if you don't like the wah.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
The BOSS multi-effects are good except for the wah pedal.

I personally wasn't a fan of the distortion but its just because it wasn't very good for what I play.

Its good for modulation though, thats why I still have mine. The EQ is good for shaping tones also.

I would reccommend getting a Crybaby or a Weeping Demon if you don't like the wah.

Ok but when i heard more about the line6 pod XT live im more instresered about that one o.o
Quote by ibanezguy89
But you are very happy with it? and its very good too?

I was REALLY happy with it, the only thing I hated was when the metal models and some others came out stock new in the POD X3.....

I would look into that...

Line 6 POD X3 Live....

I really loved it, and the only reason I'm switching is because of the rack. Makes things easier for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-6-POD-X3-Live-Floor-Guitar-Amp-Modeler-Effects-X-3_W0QQitemZ390016886433QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item390016886433&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
Quote by ibanezguy89
Ok but when i heard more about the line6 pod XT live im more instresered about that one o.o

Its cool, PODS are good also.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by NJNoise
I was REALLY happy with it, the only thing I hated was when the metal models and some others came out stock new in the POD X3.....

I would look into that...

Line 6 POD X3 Live....

I really loved it, and the only reason I'm switching is because of the rack. Makes things easier for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-6-POD-X3-Live-Floor-Guitar-Amp-Modeler-Effects-X-3_W0QQitemZ390016886433QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item390016886433&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

ok. but can you still get cool and good metal and rock sounds? (ofcourse:p) but i want to know more about the dist you told me about.
also, is it easy to configure out getting sounds like van halen and slash etc?
Quote by ibanezguy89
ok. but can you still get cool and good metal and rock sounds? (ofcourse:p) but i want to know more about the dist you told me about.
also, is it easy to configure out getting sounds like van halen and slash etc?

It is VERY easy. The Line6 community forum (you get to register when you buy the product) is so awesome. Everyone submits their tone "patches" and you download them to your pod and play with them, tweak them, whatever you want. It is really easy to get a good distortion, and actually, Line6 has an amp model DESIGNATED to EVH's classsic marshall overdriven tone.

Think about it this way

You get to pick:

Amp
Cabinet
Stomp Boxes
Mod Boxes
Room
Microphone

TONS of options.... not all sound 100% the best... but you will find your tone quite easily I imagine.
Quote by ibanezguy89
Ok because if i buy this one, i will use it in my studio (my bands studio) and not very much at home. And there we usually used to plug in my POD 2.0 ( as we still do until i buy a new one ) in the mixer and out of two big great speakers.

I think you would be happy, however, tone is VERY subjective.
It also may take some time and messing with knobs to find the perfect sound because there are so many ways to adjust it, but not every setting sounds like butter. So, you will need to program stuff while you sit at home and have a good amount of time to kill finding all those perfect sounds.
Quote by NJNoise
It is VERY easy. The Line6 community forum (you get to register when you buy the product) is so awesome. Everyone submits their tone "patches" and you download them to your pod and play with them, tweak them, whatever you want. It is really easy to get a good distortion, and actually, Line6 has an amp model DESIGNATED to EVH's classsic marshall overdriven tone.

Think about it this way

You get to pick:

Amp
Cabinet
Stomp Boxes
Mod Boxes
Room
Microphone

TONS of options.... not all sound 100% the best... but you will find your tone quite easily I imagine.

Thats freaking awesome! So people realise patches so you can download and transfer to your pod xt live? will you get a usb cable in the package?
sounds great actually, and even if you dont download you will still have alot of features right?
do yourself a favor and at least look at Guitar Rig 3..bout $600...and worth every penny
Quote by ibanezguy89
Thats freaking awesome! So people realise patches so you can download and transfer to your pod xt live? will you get a usb cable in the package?
sounds great actually, and even if you dont download you will still have alot of features right?

The downloads are just tones people found, so you can recreate it if you fiddle with it enough.
Quote by ibanezguy89

Yup, comes stock with a USB cable. People submit tones that they think are good, or close to an artist...sometimes even a song.. and they upload them. You still have the freedom to tweak those tones as well. And as for features... I don't think you will find more on a single unit...
it sounds great! so it must be a great mutli effect box, since you can download tons of done sounds and still make your own and config custom sounds. awesome! tell me more if there are more cool features!
Quote by ibanezguy89
it sounds great! so it must be a great mutli effect box, since you can download tons of done sounds and still make your own and config custom sounds. awesome! tell me more if there are more cool features!

The best thing, IMHO about the computer-pod interface, is the fact that you dont have to sit there all day turning knobs on the pedal. Plug it in to your computer, and open gearbox (free application) and you can see all the parts of your tone coming together. It is a very user friendly interface, and if you set your speakers to output to the pod, plug in your guitar, plug in your headphones, and strum away....dont like it? change it, strum again... whole different tone. It is VERY easy once you see it laid out in gearbox. The other great part, is the Live aspect of it. All your footswitches are right in front of you. There are different levels called banks, and on each bank, you have room for 4 presets. Therefore, if you have a rhythm tone, and a lead tone, and need to switch, step on "B" and voila...lead tone. The other great part, is if you need a chorus on... as long as the preset is SET.... you can just step on the "Mod" button, and voila...chorus....

It is a great product, and should you decide to go with it, I think you will be QUITE happy....

sorry for WOT....
Quote by NJNoise
The best thing, IMHO about the computer-pod interface, is the fact that you dont have to sit there all day turning knobs on the pedal. Plug it in to your computer, and open gearbox (free application) and you can see all the parts of your tone coming together. It is a very user friendly interface, and if you set your speakers to output to the pod, plug in your guitar, plug in your headphones, and strum away....dont like it? change it, strum again... whole different tone. It is VERY easy once you see it laid out in gearbox. The other great part, is the Live aspect of it. All your footswitches are right in front of you. There are different levels called banks, and on each bank, you have room for 4 presets. Therefore, if you have a rhythm tone, and a lead tone, and need to switch, step on "B" and voila...lead tone. The other great part, is if you need a chorus on... as long as the preset is SET.... you can just step on the "Mod" button, and voila...chorus....

It is a great product, and should you decide to go with it, I think you will be QUITE happy....

sorry for WOT....

awesome!
your statement made me really understand. thanks!
i will talk with a guy in a guitar shop later, might buy it.
once again, thanks everyone! and if you feel you want to share other pedals or multi effects, do it!
Quote by WACOM
That's a rack effect. He is looking for a pedal board. You fail again.

***Reported for flaming***
Quote by WACOM
That's a rack effect. He is looking for a pedal board. You fail again.

you buy a midi controller for that and you're set
They sound pretty much amazing for multi-fx (which usually sound like trash)
Page 1 of 2