Hey =]
My friend and I want to go busking in the big scary city of Birmingham in tropical England, and other than wearing a lot of clothes and such, we were pretty much ready.
Our only fear is for our solid top acoustic guitars, as the cold weather could dry them out and so on. Would this be an issue? If so, is there any way around it?
Thanks
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
i don't think it would be a problem, i've busked in 20ish degrees i'd say before and Irene still sounds sweet. also, the tropical England bit made me crack a smile... very good
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
As long as you let your guitar slowly adjust to the cold in it's case before you take it out then it should be fine. If it's not too long then your guitars should be fine. If it gets windy then you may want to put the guitar away. It can get REALLY cold when the wind starts to go.

After you're finished and take the guitars in, don't take them out until they've adjusted to room temperature inside the case. Taking a cold guitar into room temperature can be harmful for the guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ Right on cappy. It's the instant shock to the wood that'll kill it. Going from a nice warm room to nipply cold ouside temps tends to make the guitar want to shrink in on itself and everything get's really tight. Too cold and more than likely you'll wind up with something cracking on the guitar. Slow adjustments is the trick here. Give them time to acclimate.
This thread reminded me of a photo of a guy who climed up to the top of some mountain and he had an acoustic guitar with him. Imagine playing a guitar from the top of a mountain?! If his guitar survived, then I'm sure your's will too.
Guitars are wood. Even in its cut and dried and painted form. Wood is still living, forever until it is burned. It is porous and responds to climate just like cells normally do.

Its the same deal with leather, its always alive, its just stopped functioning so to speak.

Guitars are living entities, if you don't treat them as such, well then good luck getting them to go along with what you want.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Guitars are wood. Even in its cut and dried and painted form. Wood is still living, forever until it is burned. It is porous and responds to climate just like cells normally do.

Its the same deal with leather, its always alive, its just stopped functioning so to speak.

Guitars are living entities, if you don't treat them as such, well then good luck getting them to go along with what you want.

Too true. I also console my instruments if they need to talk, and water them regularly.

Recently my dreadnaught gave birth to a parlour guitar. Soooo cute!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by sesstreets

Wow, deluded much? Once the tree has been cut down, it ceases to live. No roots, no leaves to continue the photosnythesis, no growth, no life. Same thing with leather. Do your Nike's keep growing and repairing themselves as you're wearing them like your skin does after you cut it? No? Imagine that, it's not alive after all.
A guitar is an inanimate object. There's no "getting it to go along" with anything. It just is. Talking to it and trying to persuade it to bring forth those notes that you find so elusive will do no good, unless you have a bed waiting for you at Bellview. There are people there that would take a keen interest in listening to your conversations I'm guessing. lol.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go holler at my car, the damn thing just doesn't know how to listen sometimes!

(This post is pure sarcasm, and should be treated as such)
Quote by AlanHB
Too true. I also console my instruments if they need to talk, and water them regularly.

Recently my dreadnaught gave birth to a parlour guitar. Soooo cute!

hahahaha
I hope you find yourself and the dreams you pursue sitting out there on the side of the street in the freezing cold plucking away.