i want to practice making my own..and i can get pine blocks very cheap, i wanna make a full pine guitar..just for fun
Idk how bad it will sound, but i hope it sounds better than that mandolin made out of ceramic.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
There's a kind of Pine used for making guitars. Check Wiki for the Fender Esquire and the use of Pine. The new Classic Vibe Squier Telecaster is actually a Pinecaster and a very nice-sounding and great Bang for the Buck guitar.

There are lots of Pinecaster fanatics at TDPRI, the largest Tele forum. Check them out.

its not that it would soun bads, its just that it would warp easily as it is a softwood
Quote by GmacD
its not that it would soun bads, its just that it would warp easily as it is a softwood

+1

yeah, it would actually sound very nice
Just make sure it isn't riddled with knots.
Same goes with any wood for a guitar though.
Quote by GmacD

A softwood isn't necessarily soft, nor for that matter is a hardwood necessarily hard. It's do do with the microscopic structure of the wood. Douglas fir is technically a softwood, but is much harder than most hardwoods, while balsa is technically a hardwood, but is actually very soft. Sorry, I sell timber for a living...

You can make guitars out of softwoods (there are many different species which are suitable, and many that aren't). Eric Johnson's '54 Strat "Virginia" (which he has now sold) was made of spruce, and I have always thought that that guitar sounded abolsutely stunning. The guitars I've played that were made of softwood have been very resonant, and very toneful.

If you're planning to make a guitar out of a softwood, make sure it's free of knots.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Pine, as said above, is a very resonant wood, and at the price (especially if you live in Ontario ) is unbeatable. I would suggest doing a body from pine, the top maybe a flame maple, or even a nice mahogany top, and then a pine bolt on neck.... I'm sure it would sound quite nice actually.... After all....the Esquire is quite a sought after guitar
^+1 to beware of knots, pine tends to have lots of them.
And to prevent any warping or bending or anything under the tension of the strings, maybe add a strip of something harder down the center? (Like semi hollows have)
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by NJNoise
Pine, as said above, is a very resonant wood, and at the price (especially if you live in Ontario ) is unbeatable. I would suggest doing a body from pine, the top maybe a flame maple, or even a nice mahogany top, and then a pine bolt on neck.... I'm sure it would sound quite nice actually.... After all....the Esquire is quite a sought after guitar

I think you're gonna have to stick to a maple neck. Pine seems too soft, even with a truss rod, to support the pull of the strings.
------

Shwiggity.
^ I agree.
I can't see a pine neck supporting the tension very well.
zachary guitars has done several out of pine and he claims that they sound much better than top of the line les pauls, etc.
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
pine wont warp, use common sense. structures are built out of pine for a reason, it is stable, easily renewable, and cheap. basswood is barely harder than pine (some pine is harder than basswood) and basswood is known to be one of the most stable woods. it would be difficult to work the pine as it is extremely soft, the routing and neck joint fitting could be a challenge. it would sound as good as the pickups you put in it.
Quote by GmacD

Just to tell you, Balsa is a hardwood. there are a few strong soft woods, I think redwood is one of them...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just to clear up, a hardwood is defined as wood coming from a tree that is deciduous (shed its leaves), a softwood is from a tree that is coniferous . woods from deciduous trees are known as hardwoods as GENERALLY speaking they are harder that those from coniferous trees, however this is generalisation and is not always the case ! (as is shown with balsa wood, a relative of the hard hickory :P)
thats for the tips..think ima start on a pinewood strat lol