So I got my guitar, and Ive sorta learned the begining of iron man. But Im having alot of trouble with playing a note. Like Ill press on the string, and pluck but it will sound dead. Im not touching the fret so I dont know what the prob is. Sometimes its fine, sometimes its dead.

So should I take leasons? Or should I just get a good book? Or learn off the internet?
Every Time You Fail, You Are Getting Closer To Success.
Take real lessons first, i mean to learn all music theory you can and technique of course, afterwards, learn by yourself online, where you have unlimited access to tabs and that kind of stuff
I would find someone who plays the guitar and let them have a look. It may be your guitar is not setup properly or you are just doing something wrong. They will be able to tell you.

I have not had any lessons but my wife is very musical and critical so that combination means if she says I am playing correctly or well I must be doing OK

ya get a teacher i have been self taught and its taken me 12 serious years probably first played a guitar 14 years ago but wasn't big into it until i was 7 and i am just now to the point of doing basic solos thats terrible....my friend on the other hand has played for 4 years 2 years of lessons and he can shred like crazy. heres the kicker though he can't make his own songs so thats a big downfall. my dad on the other hand has never had any lessons don't do solos but he can make a badass song up as he goes and then play something else he never has i don't know how he does it but he can jam out like crazy...
...Go Take Lessons. I'll give you an example;
my father is 53 Years-Old, Born in Chicago, Illinois in 1955, his family Moved to Florida with him when he was real young, he started playing guitar by 1963, & He is/was totally self-taught. He Developed some pretty bad habbits that I don't know of ANYBODY ELSE having (he Wrest his picking hand on the bridge of the guitar a lot & in the late 1980s or early 1990s he got a Fender Custom Shop, or made custom by a Mr. Ken Young who was the Head Fender Master Builder or something back then (I Don't know I was only 3 or 4 years old back when this happened) & it was a Wicked Decked-Out Stratocaster; it weighs like 95-Lbs. because the body is made from 1-Piece of SOLID (Dense) Ash, the Pickups were 3 Prototype Fender Custom Shop Lace Sensors (Blue in Neck Position, Silver in Center Position and Red in the Bridge Position which were only Prototypes back then except the silver which was one they Developed for Eric Clapton), the Tremolo is the Dual-Post Style (& Not the Traditional Stratocaster 6-Screws) it's got Graphite Saddles, & the Springs were 3 Hip-Shot Tremsetters & they made the Tremolo Float (A Lot), and he Couldn't Handle it, he HATED the floating tremolo...he switched to regular Stratocaster Tremolo springs (because of a bad habbit that he developed by self-teaching himself)

then there's ME...I was born during the 1st-Week of September 1985, I was playing guitar at age two (on a Broken Telecaster that one of my dad's friends gave to him because he BADLY SCREWED UP the pickups somehow) & I got a Red 1980s Kramer for my 3rd birthday, then on the week of my 4th Birthday I got a MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Stratocaster, & I Still have that Stratocaster & Play it Regularly...it's laying on my bed right now next to my girlfriend who is taking a nap on the same bed... (but back when I got it, the body was White, and now the white finish has COMPLETELY worn of the body. But he had me take Lessons & I was playing things like Eruption by Eddie Van Halen & a Personally Arranged Version of Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner (My Version is played 1-Octave UP and My version stays a little more 'On-Task' so-to-speak) by the time I was 10-Years-Old, & 3 years ago I Learned to play Steve Vai's Climax Solo "Eugene's Trick Bag" (which is a variation of Caprice Number 5 originally by Niccolo Paganini) to the 1986 Film Crossroads which starred Ralph Macchio as Eugene Martone, Joe Seneca as Willie Brown AKA: Blind Dog Fulton.

So as you can see from that example, that people who take lessons have an Obvious Advantage to people who are Self-Taught...My dad's really good now, but now that he's learned to play really well, he's 53-Years old, where as I'm 30-Years & 6-Months Younger then he is & I could still "Make it"...because I was given more advantages...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Get a good teacher. I didn't know what I should do at the start but the lessons gave me a structure. I think every beggining guitarist should get at least a few lessons. Theres lots of good teachers around. I would probably have quit after the first month without lessons.
Whatever works for you. I'de reccommend some lessons, they will be SO helpful in the long run, and can help you develop your own perspective on music theory and stuff.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
^^ (To Mazz)

Your dads guitar weighed 95 pounds? I think most of what you wrote is a pretty tall tale...
Quote by Mazz-
...Go Take Lessons. I'll give you an example;
my father is 53 Years-Old, Born in Chicago, Illinois in 1955, his family Moved to Florida with him when he was real young, he started playing guitar by 1963, & He is/was totally self-taught. He Developed some pretty bad habbits that I don't know of ANYBODY ELSE having (he Wrest his picking hand on the bridge of the guitar a lot & in the late 1980s or early 1990s he got a Fender Custom Shop, or made custom by a Mr. Ken Young who was the Head Fender Master Builder or something back then (I Don't know I was only 3 or 4 years old back when this happened) & it was a Wicked Decked-Out Stratocaster; it weighs like 95-Lbs. because the body is made from 1-Piece of SOLID (Dense) Ash, the Pickups were 3 Prototype Fender Custom Shop Lace Sensors (Blue in Neck Position, Silver in Center Position and Red in the Bridge Position which were only Prototypes back then except the silver which was one they Developed for Eric Clapton), the Tremolo is the Dual-Post Style (& Not the Traditional Stratocaster 6-Screws) it's got Graphite Saddles, & the Springs were 3 Hip-Shot Tremsetters & they made the Tremolo Float (A Lot), and he Couldn't Handle it, he HATED the floating tremolo...he switched to regular Stratocaster Tremolo springs (because of a bad habbit that he developed by self-teaching himself)

then there's ME...I was born during the 1st-Week of September 1985, I was playing guitar at age two (on a Broken Telecaster that one of my dad's friends gave to him because he BADLY SCREWED UP the pickups somehow) & I got a Red 1980s Kramer for my 3rd birthday, then on the week of my 4th Birthday I got a MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Stratocaster, & I Still have that Stratocaster & Play it Regularly...it's laying on my bed right now next to my girlfriend who is taking a nap on the same bed... (but back when I got it, the body was White, and now the white finish has COMPLETELY worn of the body. But he had me take Lessons & I was playing things like Eruption by Eddie Van Halen & a Personally Arranged Version of Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner (My Version is played 1-Octave UP and My version stays a little more 'On-Task' so-to-speak) by the time I was 10-Years-Old, & 3 years ago I Learned to play Steve Vai's Climax Solo "Eugene's Trick Bag" (which is a variation of Caprice Number 5 originally by Niccolo Paganini) to the 1986 Film Crossroads which starred Ralph Macchio as Eugene Martone, Joe Seneca as Willie Brown AKA: Blind Dog Fulton.

So as you can see from that example, that people who take lessons have an Obvious Advantage to people who are Self-Taught...My dad's really good now, but now that he's learned to play really well, he's 53-Years old, where as I'm 30-Years & 6-Months Younger then he is & I could still "Make it"...because I was given more advantages...

fairy tales.
Quote by r4ster
fairy tales.

This. Who the **** gets a MIM strat for their 4th birthday? What sort of 4yr old would have the attention span long enough to even learn guitar?

And to contribute to the thread, i've been playing guitar self-taught for three months now (although my guitarist friend regularly picks up on mistakes and such), and IMO i'm doing better than average.

I would advise lessons though.

EDIT: Fairy tale boy also has awful grammar.