This shocked me and I was wondering if there's any truth behind this.

I saw on musicians friend that the Fender Standard Stratocaster is in the clearance section.

So I searched it and came across this article

That says they'll be upgraded in 2009.

What do you guys think?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Last edited by gilbs73 at Dec 13, 2008,
sounds like good improvements. the pick guard can be a bit overpowering sometimes, so i like the "warmer" color they are going for
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
The upgrades aren't that significant IMO... although I hope the pickguard change looks better. The current pickguards are cheap and fall apart.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Well, the logo is getting bigger and the choice of colours has changed ever so slightly. Hardly a huge improvement.

I'd buy a 2008 standard while they're cheap.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I don't think that upgrade from a mexican strat to a new mexican strat it's big upgrade.
If you want better guitar buy an american strat or a good G&L.
The way they descibe the changes is very dramatic.I don't think there is any reason to sell the old guitar to "UPGRADE".If they really do discount the old model it might be worth it to buy one and change the pickgaurd and shield it yourself.As far as the CLEARANCE seems to me the price is the same the just put them in a clearance section to get attention..
Quote by gilbs73
This shocked me and I was wondering if there's any truth behind this.

I saw on musicians friend that the Fender Standard Stratocaster is in the clearance section.

So I searched it and came across this article

That says they'll be upgraded in 2009.

What do you guys think?

they clear out old stock every year.

if you like the new headstock look, then go for it.

but i'm not surprised it's only cosmetic this year. they changed; fret size, shielding, and trem block just a few years ago.

imo, if you want a good strat at a great price then look used.
if you want a new one then dont worry about $20 here or there, just get the one that plays the best, in the store.

my 96' plays great. i dont give a **** that it says mex on the headstock.

there isnt a huge price jump between the mex std strat, and mex classic, deluxe, powerhouse or even the Hw1, strats.
adding more options to their standard, just discourages players from buying higher end models.

they made the same mistake with their squiers. the new vintage squiers are taking away from Mex standard sales.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 13, 2008,
sweet, lake placid blue? i love how that looks on older fenders. doesn't seem like any real important changes though.
"Country of origin and serial number moved to the back of the headstock "

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
"Country of origin and serial number moved to the back of the headstock "

I did think this was pretty funny too.Guess it's a big enough deal they had to mention it.
yeah, i mean it's amazing how badly some people want to pretend their instrument is made in the USA. if it matters that much (and it shouldn't), either man (woman?) up and pay for it, or else stop pretending, as you look like a dick. sometimes i wonder if fender and gibson could sell a shoebox strung with elastic bands if they put "made in the USA" on it, alongside their logo...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe for 09 they will put "Made in USA" on the front.I have a US and a Mex both are great.I never paid much attention but mine already said "Made in Mexico" On the back..Go figure
Last edited by Strat-agist at Dec 13, 2008,
Biggest thing I like is the tinted necks. The ones now are pretty bright for the maple necks.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i mean it's amazing how badly some people want to pretend their instrument is made in the USA. if it matters that much (and it shouldn't), either man (woman?) up and pay for it, or else stop pretending, as you look like a dick. sometimes i wonder if fender and gibson could sell a shoebox strung with elastic bands if they put "made in the USA" on it, alongside their logo...

Tell me about it. One of the teachers at the place where I take my lessons has a Squier and he shaved the name off and put a Fender sticker on it, and it wasn't an old MIJ Squier, it was like a recent one. Honestly, if a guitar works, who cares what the headstock reads?

Still, i'd probably hide the squier name with tape or something myself. jk, jk.
I already bough one of this years MIM Teles, so it doesnt really affect me
?!
i'm actually really tempted to nab an MIM Tele in artic white now that they're clearing them out, give it a black pickguard and some hum cancelling dimarzios and use that as my new guitar. They play really great and look sick, plus white + black pickguard is a nice combo. I figure it'll be about 600 bucks after taxes and all the changes. Not bad for a soon to be kick ass instrument.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Tell me about it. One of the teachers at the place where I take my lessons has a Squier and he shaved the name off and put a Fender sticker on it, and it wasn't an old MIJ Squier, it was like a recent one. Honestly, if a guitar works, who cares what the headstock reads?

yeah, exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?