Page 1 of 2
what does everyone think of the news that the MIM 09's will come with a maple option? im lookin forward to it, i much prefer maple (also the new colours are cool)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I'm indifferent to maple and rosewood. Although, I have always thought maple LOOKS alot better, especially on a natural finish.
Doesn't make much of a difference to me because I'm hardcore-rosewood, but I'm glad they're finally offering it as an option. Fender's really stepping up the bass department lately, minus their elimination of the Precision Deluxe 5-string
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Pics?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Awesome. I won't be getting one but i always thought the fact that you couldn't get them with a maple board was stupid. sunburst + black guard + maple = SEX
My next Jazz bass will probably have a maple fb.

Black/black/maple

Atm, i got a black/white/rosewood one.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
My next Jazz bass will probably have a maple fb.

Black/black/maple

Atm, i got a black/white/rosewood one.

Do that and swap the necks on those suckers, that would be awesome
Well that pretty much sold me on a MIM Jazz with maple neck. Now it's time to start saving my paychecks...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by CaptainJack666
what does everyone think of the news that the MIM 09's will come with a maple option? im lookin forward to it, i much prefer maple (also the new colours are cool)

Sounds great, but at the same time I honestly think that, as of late, the VM and CV series Squiers have pretty much surpassed the MIM Fenders in both build quality and tone and I can already get one of them with a maple fretboard.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
Sounds great, but at the same time I honestly think that, as of late, the VM and CV series Squiers have pretty much surpassed the MIM Fenders in both build quality and tone and I can already get one of them with a maple fretboard.

Resale value is lower, brand name isnt as respected; these are the facts, tone is subjective, ive not played a "duff" mim standard and im over the moon with mine.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
I've always found rosewood to be kind of ugly on Fender design basses.

I'd love to get a sunburst Jazz with a maple fretboard.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Jonnomainman
Resale value is lower, brand name isnt as respected; these are the facts, tone is subjective, ive not played a "duff" mim standard and im over the moon with mine.

I was just stating my opinion. I was not informing others of what they should do. I am aware that tone is subjective, which is why I began my statement with "I honestly think" instead of "you honestly think." I have played quite a few bad MIMs, just as I have played quite a few bad MIAs and bad Squiers (yet to play a bad MIJ though), I just believe that many of the modern VM and CV Squiers are of a higher quality than modern Standard Fenders (MIM). I do agree on the "resale value" bit though. If you buy a Squier, you are much better off modding it than selling it IMO.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
Where are you playing these bad MIA Fenders? They must have had dreadful setups from being left on the shelves for so long without the proper care and attention. Quality control at Fender's plants is very consistantly high.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Where are you playing these bad MIA Fenders? They must have had dreadful setups from being left on the shelves for so long without the proper care and attention. Quality control at Fender's plants is very consistantly high.

The bad setups have something to do with it, but I am mainly speaking from my experience playing basses owned by other people (not hanging on the wall in music stores). And as consistent as their QC is, there is often a great difference in overall feel from one Fender to another. I have played some MIA's that "felt" like garbage and some MIMs that played like butter. I am not attacking Fender, I am just saying that sometimes I can play ten different MIA's with almost the same setup and only really love the "feel" of one or two of them. I'm sure this is entirely subjective, but I've heard a lot of other people (on TB and here) make similar comments.
Quote by Caustic
I agree with beast within to an extent i have played some pretty amazing mims and some horrible mia's. But i would still buy an mia if i could afford it. I like my fenders with rosewood, i like my stingrays with maple though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Jonnomainman

I know a few people that have sent basses back due to finish imperfections etc. Nit picking? Maybe, but you shouldn't expect that sort of thing when you're spending the best part of a grand (£ on a BRAND new bass, not even been on the shelves.

That's why i'll always respect musicman as a company. I've never heard of ANYBODY returning a bass due to any sort of imperfection. They set the bar for companies like fender, and i know which i'd rather have.
I nearly crapped myself with excitement at the prospect of a maple fretboard MIM... until i saw the price. I think £500 is too much for a standard MIM.
Not much else to add, just thought I'd throw that in =]
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
Quote by James Gadd
I nearly crapped myself with excitement at the prospect of a maple fretboard MIM... until i saw the price. I think £500 is too much for a standard MIM.
Not much else to add, just thought I'd throw that in =]

Bloody hell. £529 on gak.co.uk

I bought my 2006 Standard Jazz on there for like £340... A couple of years back.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
yeah tis a shame theres no cheaper fender now. but im sure the standards will be made better now
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
You'll be able to get older standards for a while.

It seems like Fender are really stepping up the game.

Higher quality Squiers, higher quality MIM Standards, higher quality MIA Standards

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by mountaindew88
Doesn't make much of a difference to me because I'm hardcore-rosewood, but I'm glad they're finally offering it as an option. Fender's really stepping up the bass department lately, minus their elimination of the Precision Deluxe 5-string

And yet STILL SO MANY 20 fret basses! WHY?!
Can someone post a link for all the new colours? I went on GAK but they only had 3 colours for their new range

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by IndianRockStar

That is one thing about Fender that I will never understand and one of the biggest reasons that I do not currently own one. Soon I will have a 22 fret American Precision Deluxe, but I am sure that the event will arise where I will want those 2 missing frets.
Quote by Caustic
Never missed the top frets meself...I never go above 15 or so in regular playing.

Also, have I been misinformed or is Lake Placid Blue now a MIM color? I'd have some serious GAS over a LPB/White/Maple Jazz.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 14, 2008,
Any links to these new basses?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Mutant Corn
Never missed the top frets meself...I never go above 15 or so in regular playing.

Also, have I been misinformed or is Lake Placid Blue now a MIM color? I'd have some serious GAS over a LPB/White/Maple Jazz.

I PRAY TO GOD you haven't been misinformed, if that's true that will definetly be my next bass purchase except LPB/White/Maple Precision

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
chrome red is being replaced by candy cola red (grrr i love CR) and the standard blue is being replaced by lake placid blue
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
This is news to me, and some of the best news I've ever heard! I've always loved maple fretboards on fenders, but if you don't want to shell out the cash on an American model, you're sort of stuck. I wish this was around when I first started, I'd probably still be playing a black P bass with a black pickguard and a maple fretboard

Just my two cents.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by IndianRockStar

whats to speacial about 21+ frets anyway?

on topic: maple MIM's

woo about time, not to get some money
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255

on topic: maple MIM's

woo about time, not to get some money

More notes? Economy of motion while in those upper neck solos?

What's bad with having 21+ frets?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Vampire 255

The fact that you can actually play a high E would be nice. Fender (for some unknown reason) designed his basses to be played from a low E to a high Eb
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
The fact that you can actually play a high E would be nice. Fender (for some unknown reason) designed his basses to be played from a low E to a high Eb

are the higher frets really that important tho?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
are the higher frets really that important tho?

YES! I play up there all the time and the 24 frets I have are incredible. Most basses you can only comfortably play quickly up to about the fourth last fret or so. So when you have 24 frets it makes you not only able to hit the high notes, but quickly play runs and passages at the 16th position, which is nearby impossible on a 20 fret bass.
I think im the only person who owns a 24 fret bass but still loves playing fender standards and stingrays etc etc, I find that 24 frets or not i still enjoy the bass. I love having 24 frets but i can easily live without them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Meh i still really wont a stingray like really. I love my jazz 24 but i can live with out those four lovely frets personnally.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Back on topic-

Anyone got pictures/links of said basses?

I looked on Gak and they jacked up the prices of their MIMs immensely, but no mention of a maple option or new colours

And with the new price tag, does this mean we could see a rise in build quality and hardware?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Page 1 of 2