I want to take down the uber-glossy finish on my strat neck to just a silky smooth finish, or none at all. I've heard what the results of what I want to do described as "having the feel of a baseball bat".

Now, i've heard methods of how to do this: wet sand paper, steel wool, etc.

How exactly do I do it, and what grit do I use, and if i'm going from about fret 1-13, do I still need to remove the neck from the body?

Cheers.
What kind of strat do you have? Mine didn't come glossy it came really smooth and not sticky at all, but would be interesting to know what kind you have.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
I'm not exactly sure what grit to use, but I think steel wool is the best option for doing that.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

I've got a classic player 60's strat, which imo is the best strat for under 1000 hands down. CS 69 pickups, and an absolutely fantastic finish w/aged hardware. The only problem is the neck
^not worried about voiding the warranty. I've had it for two years, about. I'm fairly sure i'll just get the finish off, and if I am not satisfied, well... I've been looking at a SRV flamed maple neck anyways :P
Quote by JMTrio134
^not worried about voiding the warranty. I've had it for two years, about. I'm fairly sure i'll just get the finish off, and if I am not satisfied, well... I've been looking at a SRV flamed maple neck anyways :P

Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

I sanded my neck down with 400 grit, lightly, and it made it feel much nicer to me.
micro fine sandpaper from stewmac. Get the kit and start at about 400 and go up until you like how it feels. If you want to take all of the finish off start at a bit less. I think they have a 320 grit and I'd start there if you want all the finish off. It'll take a bit of time, but definitely worth it.
Steel wool or very fine grit sandpaper, it's a fairly easy process and a lot of the guys on the EBMM forums do it regularly to their basses to keep the neck nice and smooth because they're unfinished, they just use a coat of gunstock oil.
If your just trying to dull the finish use 800 grit.Go slow with it and constantly clear the paper and wipe the neck.
Remove the neck.

I'd recommend Scothbrite, the scrubbing pad - like abrasive pads. Very easy to keep the result smooth and even, doesn't shed like steel wool. You can get them in a range of different grit equivalents, use a medium or fine. The finer ones will almost polish and give a super smooth touch.