Ok so I am just starting to get into recording. I mostly play metal, and have been playing for about 5-6 years.
I am getting a peavey vypyr 30w later this month, and a new computer next month. I am looking to have a fairly simple setup, similar to a friend of mine. I want to be able to hook up a keyboard to my computer to record drums and keys, and I want to be able to hook up my guitar to record as well.
I have used my friends setup a lot, and he uses garage band on his mac. I like the functionality of garageband, and it has pretty decent quality IMO.

I am wondering if I should get a mac so I can use garageband, or should I get a pc and try other recording programs, what else will I need? an interface? my new computer budget is about $500-800. Any suggestions or input ?
I say if your getting a Mac get a recording program called Logic I've used it for a while now and I prefer it over Garage Band thats just my oppinion though.
ok..... first off, garageband is basically pro tools, but mac obviosuly didnt want to get into **** so they made it a tad differnt but bare bones, its pro tools pretty much. I would suggust getting the mac cause it has a good firewire card and the computer over all has low latency and low noise. as for the interface http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498 i would get this but if youdo get this, DO NOT install pro tools its pretty much exactly like garage band but more complicated and it will only confuse you when you try to record aswell interfere with garage band when you get too confused with it and try to use garageband.
The good thing about getting a Mac is you can always install XP if you wanted. I'm not sure what Mac you can get with that amount of money though, they are usually very expensive.
Quote by ScottyB724
I want to be able to hook up a keyboard to my computer to record drums and keys, and I want to be able to hook up my guitar to record as well.
I have used my friends setup a lot, and he uses garage band on his mac. I like the functionality of garageband, and it has pretty decent quality IMO.

I am wondering if I should get a mac so I can use garageband, or should I get a pc and try other recording programs, what else will I need? an interface? my new computer budget is about $500-800. Any suggestions or input ?

Save up more money. A lot more. If you want to record drums, and it's not sampled or electronic, you'll want a Firewire interface that records 8 inputs so your whole band can go at once (Presonus Firestudio and Focusrite Saffires), which run ~$500 minimum. Since you're familiar with and like Garageband, you'll want at least a Mac Mini...which requires a monitor too.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by convictionless
ok..... first off, garageband is basically pro tools, but mac obviosuly didnt want to get into **** so they made it a tad differnt but bare bones, its pro tools pretty much. I would suggust getting the mac cause it has a good firewire card and the computer over all has low latency and low noise. as for the interface http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498 i would get this but if youdo get this, DO NOT install pro tools its pretty much exactly like garage band but more complicated and it will only confuse you when you try to record aswell interfere with garage band when you get too confused with it and try to use garageband.

haha that is ridiculous, garage band is not protools. That 'confusing' stuff is what makes protools so much better.

If you need to save $ I would buy an interface with bundled software. Most all of the main software (cubase, logic, protools, abelton live, acid, sonar, digital performer, reason).

Mac Only: Garage band, Logic, apogee interfaces (that is all i know of)

Garage band is included with mac if you're willing to settle for that, it is actually pretty cool, not on par with a lot of the other software though, but you will be able
to get a PC for cheaper than a mac usually.

I'm assuming you will use your keyboard for drums and not be miking drums? Do you want to do simultaneous tracks or just one at a time? And if you want to mic things you would probably want a pre-amp or an interface with a pre-amp for your mic. Does your friend just run his line into the computer's sound card? If that's all you want to do then you just need a computer, otherwise you probably want an audio interface (which often come with software).
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Last edited by zipppy2006 at Dec 15, 2008,
No. That's midi.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'll +1 that garageband is NOT pro tools, it is NOTHING like it, its midi and sample focused, its horrible! (in my opinion) Logic is much better

You will need an interface to hook it up... usb one coz its a new macbook.
Look for a used Power Mac G5 and run Pro Tools. That might push your budget to the max but nothing else compares. Logic has a steep learning curve and is only useful if your doing a lot of midi stuff.
Sorry, i didn't see that you already bought a macbook. if an m-box is enough for you go with that, otherwise look for a used 002, or an 001.
It seems we have a protools fanboy on our hands.

Just buy some cheaper, probably better quality hardware and run logic..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
001s are a bit nasty :P old technology, i'd also like to say that logic is JUST as good as pro tools for recorded sound, just the steeper learning curve, it can do all the same things, you just need to learn how to do it.
ok this is not for a professional recording or anything, im mostly going to just mess around in garage band, and maybe upgrade to logic in the future. whats a decent cheap interface that will allow me to record with my macbook and vypyr 30 watt, just looking for some links and opinions.

thank you.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
On the front of my amp there is a headphones/record out port. Could I just use an adapter at each end and use a regular guitar cable to plug directly into my mac that way?
Quote by ScottyB724
On the front of my amp there is a headphones/record out port. Could I just use an adapter at each end and use a regular guitar cable to plug directly into my mac that way?

You could but you would be using the soundcard on the mac which will not produce very good results. You can do a line out into an interface and not go the mic route. But then you will need some more software for effects and such.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
heres my two (or three) cents....

1) if you are on a budget and buying new and want to try lots of different software effects/ daws (like garageband)and form your own opinions- dont get a mac, you will be stuck with either garage band, protools or cubase. In other words, free software with an expensive machine, expensive software, or cost prohibative software.

There are loads of free ones out there for pc etc - more choice, etc etc, but saying that, garageband is really cool I reckon.

2) people always say get a separate interface, mixer, controller etc - I have an Alesis multimix usb2 which allows me to record up to 8 channels/instruments at once into my daw (cubase), it's a mixer with built in effects, has mic preamps and phatom power for running condenser mics etc. I got it on ebay for £150.

I started off with a soundblaster fatality xfi which is a high end gaming soundcard with 7.1 surround sound blah blah, but more importantly a breakout box with all the inputs that fits into one of the cdrom bays on your computer. It was the only thing in PC world which had ASIO drivers, Personally i cant fault it. I tried to replace it with lower end interfaces twice, but ended up keeping it and still use it now alonside my multimix

3) dont rule out analog!! take a look at a tascam 424 mkIII on ebay - I got one last week to master some old tapes that never made it to my PC. I have not been able to put it away! The mixer s great, very versatile, portable. just plug in and go, no p*ssing around with softawre versions blah ruddy blah and trying to make your digital recordings sound more analog!! just boot it up (ooooh can take as long as 5 seconds), bung a ruddy tape in and off ya go

back in the day, cheap 4 tracks were crap, the 424 was an expensive one that i could never afford back then, but I was amazed at the quality of my old tapes and new stuff i have recorded over the last few days.

Plug it into the the line in on the soundblaster (or whatever) and master to your computer and burn to cd - sorted.

If you want to use computer based fx - plug your pc intop the fx loop!!

you can get a 424 in mint cond for less than 50 squids FFS

I dunno, everyone (including myself) seems to look past 4 tracks these days which is a shame - 4tracks are all part of the process of learning the craft IMHO.

it must rather a first rate 4 track now than a third rate computer setup any day of the week now, though it has taken a number of years to realise this!!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald