I've been listening to a lot of Guthrie Govan lately, and I LOVE his lead tone, it just sounds amazing, so I read up a bit on him, and read that he uses Cornford amps.

Now, I'm DEFINITELY a noob when it comes to amps, so can anyone give me a good idea as to what these amps are suitable for? And what their generally priced at?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

thousands of dollars
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
High end boutique amps. Usually a bit more vintage sounding if I'm not mistaken. Cornford Roadhouse is a pretty legendary amp.
Quote by valennic
I've been listening to a lot of Guthrie Govan lately, and I LOVE his lead tone, it just sounds amazing, so I read up a bit on him, and read that he uses Cornford amps.

Firstly, what Guthrie material have you been listening to? Most of Erotic Cakes was recorded on RK100s, his Guitar Techniques covers were usually recorded on a Harlequin, most of his recent Youtube videos are using the MK50 or MK50II, and the older Tone Merchants videos/DVDs were done with a Hellcat.

Quote by valennic
Now, I'm DEFINITELY a noob when it comes to amps, so can anyone give me a good idea as to what these amps are suitable for? And what their generally priced at?

They're expensive. The MK50II is listed at £1899, the RK100 at £1799, the Hellcat(35W) at £1699 and the MK50 at £1399. That's the heads only, no cabs. The Hellcat Combo (35W) is listed at £1999, the Hurricane (20W) at £1199, the Carrera (6/8W) at £999 and the Harlequin (6W) at £699. It is normal though to see them priced online at maybe £50-100 off the list price. The Roadhouse series is cheaper, but isn't really in the same league as the handwired models.

Personally I think they're good for just about anything bar modern metal (and at that, that's more about voicing than lack of gain), but then I'm biased, because I have two of them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Mostly his Erotic Cakes album, I love it, I've only ever seen a few of his Youtube vids.

Wow, that IS expensive...

So nothing modern metal eh? Well, do you think a good rig could sport a 6505 for rhythm AND an Mk50 for the leads?

Because I hate the 6505 for leads, love it for rhythms, but from what I've been hearing, the Mk50 has an amazing tone for lead.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Based solely on the fact that you're avatar is a second-generation pokemon,

I would be highly impressed if you could afford that rig anytime in the near future.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say I've played a harlequin and it sounded stunning. If all cornfords are of the same quality then I'm sure they're worth the money. Too bad they're extremely rare and cost more than what you folks pay.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by valennic
Mostly his Erotic Cakes album, I love it, I've only ever seen a few of his Youtube vids.

Wow, that IS expensive...

So nothing modern metal eh? Well, do you think a good rig could sport a 6505 for rhythm AND an Mk50 for the leads?

Because I hate the 6505 for leads, love it for rhythms, but from what I've been hearing, the Mk50 has an amazing tone for lead.

Yeah they're pricy, and addictive...it would be great if I had an MK50II and used amp switching between it and the Hellcat, but I don't need more amps (keep telling yourself this Tom, maybe you'll convince yourself). I wouldn't say they CAN'T do modern metal, just that they wouldn't be my first choice for it if it were all I wanted to play. I don't play modern metal, so Cornfords suit me down to the ground.

The MK could handle modern metal, but I wouldn't say it's built for it. The lower powered combos definitely aren't geared towards metal though, I can tell you that.

I'm sure you could use amp switching between an MK and a 6505, but I think the MK would sound better for just about everything, personally. What are you judging the MK50 tone on?
Quote by Prophet of Page
Yeah they're pricy, and addictive...it would be great if I had an MK50II and used amp switching between it and the Hellcat, but I don't need more amps (keep telling yourself this Tom, maybe you'll convince yourself). I wouldn't say they CAN'T do modern metal, just that they wouldn't be my first choice for it if it were all I wanted to play. I don't play modern metal, so Cornfords suit me down to the ground.

The MK could handle modern metal, but I wouldn't say it's built for it. The lower powered combos definitely aren't geared towards metal though, I can tell you that.

I'm sure you could use amp switching between an MK and a 6505, but I think the MK would sound better for just about everything, personally. What are you judging the MK50 tone on?

I've only tried an RK100 (at NAMM), but could not find anywhere in the western US to buy one without waiting 6 months. Incredible tone, for sure. If I had a Cornford, the only thing I'd use a 6505 for would be a beer holder/backup amp .

BTW-Tom, don't kid yourself. You need more amps. We all do!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i definitely liked the hurricane i tried, a lot. absolutely awesome, that organic, woody lead tone is more or less the tone it does. I wasn't as fussed on the hellcat i tried, but i did try it about a year or two earlier, when i was much more a noob and not as used to valve amps, so it's entirely possible (probable, more like ) that i didn't give it a fair shot.

agreed about it not being the first choice for the br00talz, but pretty awesome for most other stuff.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
riffhog, the problem is that there are so many other things that I have to get first. My Hank Marvin Strat was a beautiful player before I hired an idiot to refret it, so now I have to send it away to have the neck stripped, relaquered with thin nitro and then refretted with some nice big jumbo frets. After it comes back, I’ll need to replace most of the hardware with parts from Callaham Guitars, install a set of Callaham/Fralin Real ’54 Special Winds and install a Suhr BPSSC.

That would all be fine if I didn’t need to send my American Std Strat off to have the neck stripped, oiled and refretted with jumbo frets. After that, I’ll need to replace the stock bridge with a Gotoh 510TS-FE1, replace the stock pickups with a set of Suhr Fletcher-Landaus and install a Suhr BPSSC.

My Jem could use a pickup change too, I’m getting tired of the Evolutions.

You think I’d just have the sense to sell all my guitars and order a custom Suhr Classic, but then I’d like an EJ Strat and a new acoustic too, those Stanfords are gorgeous...

Of course then I’ll have to replace my cables, my George L’s are nice but a bit too noisy. I’ll have to either replace them with Evidence or Mogami cables, so more expense.

And didn’t I mention that currently own now effect whatsoever? I’ll be needing an AnalogueMan NKT-275 Sundial, an Xotic RC Booster and BB Preamp, a TC SCF and an EHX DMM at least, as well as some kind of remote true bypass loop for the modulation and delay, since they’ll be in my effects loop.

So it’s fairly easy to see that at least for the moment, I DON’T NEED MORE AMPS. I DON’T NEED MORE AMPS. I DON’T NEED MORE AMPS.

However, I still want the MK50II (and of course, another Cornford 2x12 and replace the speakers with G12s), a Blankenship 50W Variplex, a Soldano SLO-100 or Avenger, a Bogner Ecstacy, a Fuchs 100W ODS with a half power switch, etc, etc...
i don't find them to be all that rare, a local guitar shop by me has stacks of Conrfords laying around.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
yo, tom, have you tried cleartone cables? i haven't tried george Ls, but cleartones are really nice (van damme cable, neutrik jacks), and really cheap- you could try one (should cost you about a tenner), and if you don't like them, or if they're no improvement over the george Ls, there's no harm done. But if they're an improvement, they could save you a ton of money over mogami etc....

here's the link: http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

i should probably get commission on these by now...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yo, tom, have you tried cleartone cables? i haven't tried george Ls, but cleartones are really nice (van damme cable, neutrik jacks), and really cheap- you could try one (should cost you about a tenner), and if you don't like them, or if they're no improvement over the george Ls, there's no harm done. But if they're an improvement, they could save you a ton of money over mogami etc....

here's the link: http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

i should probably get commission on these by now...

I haven't actually, I'll try one. Ten quid for a cable is certainly alot more affordable than, oh I don know, £60 for a ten foot Evidence Lyric HG!

Good tone is so bloody expensive. One upon a time I was happy with a set of squealing, microphonic feedback inducing singlecoils and a 10W Epiphone practice amp.
^ yeah, that was my thinking. I replaced all my cables with cleartones for a similar amount to one of those really expensive ones. I haven't tried any of the really expensive ones, but those cleartones made a major improvement over planet-waves type quality cables. I certainly used to wonder why, when plugged into amps in music shops, even if the amp wasn't as good as mine, it seemed to sound clearer, or more alive... the cleartones cured that, that's for sure! and being able to get them in the exact length and with the exact jacks etc. you want is really handy.

just check how much the postage is- it may be more to ireland... i think it's £3 on orders under £50 to the UK (if your order is over £50, just split it into two, as it's £8 over £50 i think ).

to be honest, when i had cheaper gear i was never really happy with my tone- granted i disliked it less than i would do now, but i was always wondering why i couldn't sound like the dudes on the record did... good gear cured that, more or less. Or at least now i can only blame my playing...

(if course in the meantime i've improved as a player which helps too, and knowing vaguely how to setup guitars etc. doesn't hurt either)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?