I've played guitar for a couple of years and I think its time that I learn to shred. I've recently been practicing scales with a metronome for a couple hours a day (2-3 hours) to work on crossing strings with alternate picking since I can alternate pick very fast on one string, but get all tangled up when I try crossing strings at a fast speed, hence the metronome and scales.

I was just wondering if there are any other cool exercises that I could learn for alt picking (other scales, etc.). I was also wondering about this dvd I stumbled upon called Speed Kills with Michael Angelo Batio. I heard it was a really good dvd for anyone looking to get good at speed picking and stuff.

And one last question: if you do shred, when you were learning, how often (and by often I mean times a day) did you practice for when learning to shred and about how long was it until you were able to speed pick all across the strings effortlessly? I'm just curious, as I'm hoping I'll be able to speed pick well in a couple of months time.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
^Alternate picking would probably serve you better in the long run, it's a matter of preference though.
I'm not a shredder at all but I know that the techniques needed are alternate and economy picking, tremolo picking, sweep picking and of course string muting. You should first learn to mute all the strings that you are not playing.
I like to tremolo pick hammer-on/pull-off patterns in whatever places I want. I usually go up and down the strings or up or down the neck. I also throw in a few pinch harmonics and tapping in some places.

I am not the best shredder but I use my own easier solution.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by guitarist792
I've played guitar for a couple of years and I think its time that I learn to shred. I've recently been practicing scales with a metronome for a couple hours a day (2-3 hours) to work on crossing strings with alternate picking since I can alternate pick very fast on one string, but get all tangled up when I try crossing strings at a fast speed, hence the metronome and scales.

(1) I was just wondering if there are any other cool exercises that I could learn for alt picking (other scales, etc.). I was also wondering about this dvd I stumbled upon called Speed Kills with Michael Angelo Batio. I heard it was a really good dvd for anyone looking to get good at speed picking and stuff.

And one last question: if you do shred, (2) when you were learning, how often (and by often I mean times a day) did you practice for when learning to shred and about how long was it until you were able to speed pick all across the strings effortlessly? (3) I'm just curious, as I'm hoping I'll be able to speed pick well in a couple of months time.

1 - All the exercises you will ever need are in the exercise thread.

2 - I consider myself to be still learning, as do all good musicians; at no point should you ever wake up one day, pick up guitar and say "right, I've learned how to play guitar now, I'm done.". I think it's very revealing that BB King says that he's been trying to play guitar in his career.

3 - Define "speed pick", depending on your goals it could take years. If you just mean play a scale up and down cleanly at X speed then a couple of months may be all you need.

Personally I think you're looking at this the wrong way anyway; you should be looking to play WELL, not fast.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Accuracy is more important- the key is to practice slowly and slowly SLOWLY SLOWLY build up speed so as to maintain accuracy throughout. Never settle for something sounding "ok" at speed- work to make it perfect.