Well I use .010 strings for my high e string (standart tunning)... I think I should use 9s.

I don't know but I always ****ing freak it! It's frustrating! I know it's not my bridge since it never breaks in there, but is it me or it's not really good to use 9s for the high e string with standart tunning?

Well, I think I do too much bends but anyway...

edit: forgot to mention.... I'm always breaking my high e string
Last edited by kevC4 at Dec 13, 2008,
What exactly is going on?
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
He's breaking his strings. I imagine it's one of the frets. Look over and see if any of them have sharp edges.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
i'm using .011 strings and they don't break. and i also do bend a lot. i'm constantly playing on the upper strings and they don't break
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Quote by YourDad
What exactly is going on?

Holy shet my bad dude, I think I was soo raged that I forgot to say x.x

Quote by rusty-knives
He's breaking his strings. I imagine it's one of the frets. Look over and see if any of them have sharp edges.

Yeah always breaking that high e... Sharp edges? how do I find that XD

Quote by DeathOn2Legs
i'm using .011 strings and they don't break. and i also do bend a lot. i'm constantly playing on the upper strings and they don't break

With standart tunning?
you're fine with 9's or 10's. do what rusty said, and you might also try other brands. certain brands tend to break more easily than others.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
I agree with rusty knives, however you can check your nut aswell as your bridge, and also if the keep snapping, then you might need to take better care of them i.e room tempreture, cleanliness and really boring stuff.
Could have a small amount of rust/decay on the parts of them just enough that when you do a hard bend that it snaps. Check sharp frets with just sliding your finger and fingernail across and check for ridges or dips. You could try cleaning your strings after you play each time. Also the temperature thing will help, but id probably look at how humidity is doing also.
i haven't broke a guitar string playing in years if your a beginner you will snap a lot, you can hear when its about to break. i would say its your strings man, super slinkys what i normally use they are cheap and don't break go for them. this set has been on this guitar for about 4 months they are old but they are not dead yet. I have gone over half a year on one set and I do play a lot. Older strings sound better on a electric (well not to old) but newer strings sound better on a acoustic.
yeah check the saddles if they keep breaking there...biggest problem ive had...otherwise if ur a beginner you prob just hold the pick hard and hit the strings harder which create tension
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by kevC4
Holy shet my bad dude, I think I was soo raged that I forgot to say x.x

Yeah always breaking that high e... Sharp edges? how do I find that XD

With standart tunning?

yea standart tuning!! that trains your fingers, and without power in your figners you won't play anything!
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Quote by DeathOn2Legs
yea standart tuning!! that trains your fingers, and without power in your figners you won't play anything!

Yeah. Besides, .11s in Standard are nothing. If jazz players can use .12s and .13s in standard, then we sure can use .11s.
I do some really crazy bends on my guitars and I use 9s, even when I used 8s I rarely broke strings. Also since I switched to D'addario's I have had better luck. There has to be something wrong. Do the strings always break in the same place? If they do check for sharp edges and your frets there. A small bur can easily break a string and not right away it acts like a saw taking a little out of the string at a time you might get a dozen bends and then snap it's gone. If they are breaking at the tuner make sure there are no burs or sharp edges around the holes in the tuners. What ever you do do not buy cheap strings stick with a major brands. If they break just about anywhere some of it might be your playing style like a few have suggested you might be really hammering on the strings a little too hard.

John