Hey guys. I am going to start saving for a recording setup, and this is my plan.

I have 3 questions though.

1. Do I need a mixer to get a good sound?
2. If I need a mixer, would I use a USB instrument cable to go out of the mixer and into my laptop?
3. If I have to use the USB instrument cable, where do I put the cable into? (Main Line Out? Control Room Out? etc.)

Remember, I am on a budget under $200. Keep the total prices under $200.

This is the setup I am planning on using.

1. Sennheiser e609 attached to amp cab

2. Microphone Cable (which I will probably get at a local store) connected from Amp Mic to mixer.

3. Microphone connected to a small mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802) and whatever EQ needed will be done.

4. USB Instrument cable runs out from mixer and into computer.

-----------

Will I need to use that setup because I would need a mixer, or do I not need a mixer and just run a USB Mic cable out of the Amp Mic?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/LightSnake-USB-Microphone-cable?sku=330183

^^Thats the USB mic cable if you need to know.

-----------

Once again, here are my questions.

2. If I need a mixer, would I use a USB instrument cable to go out of the mixer and into my laptop?
3. If I have to use the USB instrument cable, where do I put the cable into? (Main Line Out? Control Room Out? etc.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 14, 2008,
Sorry guys I thought that forum was just for recordings.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore

No. If you are using just 1 microphone at a time, a single pre amp/channel strip will give you better quality.
Quote by tmfiore

A usb instrument cable is not a good idea, since it means you still have to use your laptop's sound card. Try and get an external USB audio interface (i can recommend some if you tell me your budget)
Quote by tmfiore

The line out of the mixer will be a stereo out whereas the USB cable is mono. it might work, might not. Better to go with a proper audio interface, then you won't need a mixing desk at all.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
^^my budget is $200, but $100 from that will need to be for the microphone
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Bump
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
i would suggust getting this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-USB-Dual-Pre?sku=703092 with that mic, and maybe squeeze in a cable. now dont expect anything amazing but it will do the job. also you will probly find out how much you MG sucks by listning to it through recording.
you will also need a program to record, msg me and i can help you with that.
Quote by convictionless
i would suggust getting this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-USB-Dual-Pre?sku=703092 with that mic, and maybe squeeze in a cable. now dont expect anything amazing but it will do the job. also you will probly find out how much you MG sucks by listning to it through recording.
you will also need a program to record, msg me and i can help you with that.

Was saying something about my amp really necessary?

Thanks though, I see how that works now. I have audacity to record and if I need better editing I will get ACID.

Would a mixer give me a better sound if I made the output go to the computer and did EQ on my sound?

*Once I get my recording gear set up I will record things from an MG to show you that you can get a good sound from them.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 14, 2008,
You can mix on your computer after you've recorded, there shouldn't be a reason you need a mixer and especially not that one. Just get a mic and an interface with a nice mic preamp or some other way to get good quality sound from your mic, most things come with a connection to your computer so that shouldn't be a problem.

Don't try to get in over your head, if you don't know anything about mixing, you probably shouldn't get a mixer. Read and do some research first on the different options, but if you want to mic your amp then you probably just want something with a good mic preamp that goes to your computer.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
^^Yeah I am going to do the preamp and do anything else I need to do on the computer.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43