OK guys, I'm new here so let me start by saying "Hi"...

Now, I'm not new to playing guitar.. I have been playing for about 5 years now... Although never anything serious... Mostly just noodling around in my bedroom and using guitar to impress my friends and some choice ladies... But now I'm going to college and am going to major in music... I am enrolled in a couple of bands all of which are centered around guitar... I have talked to the band teacher and he said that I would need a decent amp but that it didn't have to be huge because at the performances that we will be putting on they have a PA system and it could always be mic'd... But I also want something that I can use at home to practice on when I'm not at school... So I need an amp that is small enough to not annoy any neighbors yet still has good tone at lower volumes, and is also capable of producing good tones at full volumes...

I know that I don't want anything solid state... I was looking at a couple of smaller tube amps that are within the budget of a struggling college student, such as the Epiphone Valve Junior (which I like because I have seen that they are very moddable and electronics work doesn't bother me at all), the Peavey Windsor Studio 20 watt combo (which I like because of the attentuator built into it), and the Peavey Valve King 112 Combo...

I have an Ibanez TS808 reissue and a Dean VX guitar, both of which I am very happy with, I just need some help on choosing an amp that can deliver more then one style of tones with a wide range of usable volumes and is equally suited to playing clean or to playing some heavier 80's style rock sounds... So any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks everyone.
the VJ isn't going to do that range of sounds without some serious modding (and still may not even with the modding, i haven't got round to modding mine yet ).

haven't tried the peavey windsor studio... there was a lot of pre-release GAS for that model (myself included), but it took ages to be released, and then when it was, the few people who tried it said it sucked. Would be worth a try if you can find one.

The VK isn't bad, but it's very much a budget, jack-of-all-trades tube amp. If it has to be tube, reasonably versatile, and cheap, you could do a lot worse (as long as the reliability is ok), but if it doesn't have to be tube (if it's *only* for practicing, say), a modeller might be a better idea (or not- depends on how badly you want/need tube tone), or if you can save up more money for a higher-end tube amp, you could maybe do better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My budget is only going to be between $250 (for the Epiphone stack obviously) and about $600... I really am not too comfortable going with a used amp either cause the last time I tried that I ended up losing about $400 on the amp I bought cause about a week after I got it it fried... So...
$600 would almost get you a traynor ycv50- they're meant to be pretty nice. I haven't tried it, but i have tried the 40 and 20, and they're nice (they're all voiced differently, though- the 20 is kind of voxy, the 40 fendery, and the 50, allegedly, marshally, which is probably what you want for the 80s metal stuff).

it really depends on how quiet you need to be able to get it for when you're practicing, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
have talked to the band teacher and he said that I would need a decent amp but that it didn't have to be huge because at the performances that we will be putting on they have a PA system and it could always be mic'd... But I also want something that I can use at home to practice on when I'm not at school... So I need an amp that is small enough to not annoy any neighbors yet still has good tone at lower volumes, and is also capable of producing good tones at full volumes...

I wouldnt' get a YCV50 for this.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
I wouldnt' get a YCV50 for this.

yeah, that's what i was wondering. would need to be tried to see how good it sounds at the lower volumes... the big problem is that a lot of the lower-powered amps don't have enough gain (or the voicing, or tight bottom end) required for even 80s metal, regardless of how much you crank them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well for practicing, I do need pretty quiet... I live in an apartment and my neighbors get pretty mad if I have my tv up to loud, so I'm sure that a 50 watt tube amp would probably cause them to suffer a stroke or something similar...

I also don't want modeling cause that's what I have now and at anything over whisper quite levels it sounds like I'm scraping a cat on a cheese grater so I don't really want to be doing school performances with tone like that... Ya know?

The main reasons I was looking at the first two amps I mentioned was because the Windsor was supposed to sound kinda Marshall-y similar to that 80's tone that everyone had back then, and I played a modded Valve Junior once which had that thing where is went to half the stock watts with the flip of a switch or something like that (it was in a pawn shop so...) but with a distortion pedal in front of it it seemed pretty nice for that older style of rock... But certainly not for newer metal, which I don't really need...

These are all the amps I have looked at... They are all name brand because I can't afford anything boutique...

Epiphone Valve Junior stack
Peavey Windsor Studio 20
Peavey Valve King 112
B-52 AT-112
Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior
Randall RG50TC
Crate V18
Fender Pro Junior

But I also dont want to pay a whole lot, because there may be times when I have to leave my amp in the trunk of my car while I go in to one class and I dont want to have to worry about someone stealing a really expensive amp out of my car...
the big problem is that even 5 watts cranked is going to be too loud. you shouldn't avoid a higher-wattage amp which'll do the tones you want, assuming it sounds good enough for you turned down, only to buy a lower wattage amp which will still be too loud, and to add insult to injury, not do the tones you want either. that's kind of what i'm saying.

if you can try the windsor, i'd try that first- if it doesn't sound like crap (as i said, i haven't tried it), considering it has an attenuator etc., it might be worth considering.

the problem is i haven't tried everything on your list- it'd certainly be worth trying everything there (and that traynor i mentioned- there's a shop, as far as i know, selling them on ebay for $650 new, i think) to see what you personally think. However, for the ones I have tried, here are my thoughts:

Both Fenders: nowhere near enough gain, nor the voicing, for 80s metal. (i've only tried the blues junior- considering the pro junior hasn't got a master volume, i'd assume it's even less use for distortion at low volumes). should have nice cleans, though, and maybe up to lighter classic rock tones...

Valve junior: nowhere near enough gain for 80s metal, and way too loud unless you mod it and/or get a pedal.

Randall: probably too modern-sounding, it's aimed more or less at metal, at least from what i can remember.

Peavey Valveking: you could probably do worse, but i'm not sure if it has the 80s metal voicing. it's quite versatile, though. only thing is, for $600 or so (assuming you're willing to stretch to $600 or so), you could probably do better (e.g. traynor, as i mentioned).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I will certainly have a look at the Traynor like you mentioned, I'm just a bit worried that 50 watts will be overkill for me... As far as pedals go, I do have a TS808 but I am seriously considering ditching it for an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with top boost cause I really like those pedals for leads and such...

But I know that most hard rock/metal bands of the 80's used Marshalls for pretty much everything and I have heard that the Windsor is supposed to be very Marshall-esque... And plus the built in attenuator and the price tag make it sound really amazing... And the fact that it has built in reverb so I wont have to buy any other pedals for that... From what I have seen on youtube though the Windsor seems like one heck of a deal...
Quote by music_mike
Well for practicing, I do need pretty quiet... I live in an apartment and my neighbors get pretty mad if I have my tv up to loud, so I'm sure that a 50 watt tube amp would probably cause them to suffer a stroke or something similar...

I also don't want modeling cause that's what I have now and at anything over whisper quite levels it sounds like I'm scraping a cat on a cheese grater so I don't really want to be doing school performances with tone like that... Ya know?

The main reasons I was looking at the first two amps I mentioned was because the Windsor was supposed to sound kinda Marshall-y similar to that 80's tone that everyone had back then, and I played a modded Valve Junior once which had that thing where is went to half the stock watts with the flip of a switch or something like that (it was in a pawn shop so...) but with a distortion pedal in front of it it seemed pretty nice for that older style of rock... But certainly not for newer metal, which I don't really need...

These are all the amps I have looked at... They are all name brand because I can't afford anything boutique...

Epiphone Valve Junior stack
Peavey Windsor Studio 20
Peavey Valve King 112
B-52 AT-112
Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior
Randall RG50TC
Crate V18
Fender Pro Junior

But I also dont want to pay a whole lot, because there may be times when I have to leave my amp in the trunk of my car while I go in to one class and I dont want to have to worry about someone stealing a really expensive amp out of my car...

The only one's that'll really get that sound are the Windsor and V18. Maybe you could look at a Laney AOR, or an Epiphone So Cal
Holy hell.. The Windsor can also run different style of tubes?!?! It says it can run EL34's, KT66's, KT88's, 6550's, 6L6's... So I guess that I could really play around with it until I got the exact sound I wanted out of something like that correct?
^ dunno about the exact sound. the tubes aren't the only thing affecting the tone. I mean, if the base tone of the amp sucks, i doubt any tube change is going to fix that. but if the amp sounds good, you might as well have the option to switch tubes.

Quote by music_mike
Well I will certainly have a look at the Traynor like you mentioned, I'm just a bit worried that 50 watts will be overkill for me... As far as pedals go, I do have a TS808 but I am seriously considering ditching it for an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with top boost cause I really like those pedals for leads and such...

But I know that most hard rock/metal bands of the 80's used Marshalls for pretty much everything and I have heard that the Windsor is supposed to be very Marshall-esque... And plus the built in attenuator and the price tag make it sound really amazing... And the fact that it has built in reverb so I wont have to buy any other pedals for that... From what I have seen on youtube though the Windsor seems like one heck of a deal...

my point is that if 50 watts is overkill, it's likely that 20 will be too (though the windsor studio does have the attenuator).

i wouldn't ditch the ts808 until you have your amp, a lot of players like tubescreamers with tube amps.

my only concern is that, while the windsor head is good for 80s metal, the combo might be a lot more vintage-sounding (i've heard it is, but as i said, i haven't tried it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave's post #10 pretty much nailed it.

80's metal would basically be thrash metal (Metallica etc) and that was the sound I heard every time I played the Windsor. Granted it was a half stack and I have not played the combo. VK would work, but you would need a new speaker.

I think the Windsor would fit well and Welcome to UG
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well what type of bands are you playing in for school?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah, I have heard that the Windsor is great for that Marshally gainy sound that Im hoping to find on a budget... Plus that attenuator does seem really handy for playing at home... I will be playing rhythm alot so that 80's rhythm sound would be really nice, but we also play alot of lead based stuff as well, so Im hoping that I can get a good rhythm and a great lead tone out of it, cause my rhythm parts are blended well enough with others to not have to nail the rhythm tone dead on...

But I play in the major guitar ensemble and also the jazz band, but I use my acoustic for that... Major guitar ensemble we play alot of neo-classical ish stuff, blues, and classic rock... So thats where Im wanting to get that 80's lead tone for...
Line 6 spider valve.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Well I'm a bit concerned about modeling... I'm not a complete tone wh0re but I do want a good sound... Most of the modelers I have played before sound utterly horrendous at anything other then bedroom levels... Plus the Spider Valve is a bit out of my price range...
as i said, the windsor combo might have a different tone to the head... you'd need to try it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok... I will Dave... And thanks for all of your help... All of yall... I really appreciate it...

But I am gonna be heading up to Guitar Center one day this week to kind of mess around with some amps and to try the Windsor combo... Are there any other amps that yall suggest I should look at while I'm there? I want to be able to try out as many as possible while Im there...
B-52 AT-112 if you want a TON of versatility, amazing tone, and good sound at low volumes. Its as versatile as a tube amp. The cleans are immaculate, and the distortion, you can get a blues tone, 80's metal tone, new metal tone, death metal tone, anything. It is an awesome amp.
What do you mean "Its as versatile as a tube amp"? The AT-112 was a tube amp I thought??
Quote by music_mike
What do you mean "Its as versatile as a tube amp"? The AT-112 was a tube amp I thought??

Oh, sorry, yeah it is a tube amp. I meant as versatile as a modeling amp, but with good NATURAL tube tone. 3 Channels, a bright switch, and a contour switch.
Isnt the B-52 the ones that they say try to emulate Mesa's as best as possible without breaking the budget?
Quote by music_mike
Ok... I will Dave... And thanks for all of your help... All of yall... I really appreciate it...

But I am gonna be heading up to Guitar Center one day this week to kind of mess around with some amps and to try the Windsor combo... Are there any other amps that yall suggest I should look at while I'm there? I want to be able to try out as many as possible while Im there...

there was a post in the only amp thread about the windsor combo- i'll copy and paste it across:

Quote by MustangSVT
I played for 2 hours through a Windsor Studio at music store about a week ago. I thought it was alright, but not great. This weekend I played through a Classic 30, and a Traynor YCV50 and also a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 combo. I thought all of those blew the Windsor Studio out of the water, but different price range of course. I play through a MIM Strat by the way and I was looking to get those 80s hard rock tones but also good cleans. I didn't like that the Windsor Studio only has 1 channel so that was a deal breaker for me. I don't listen to Guthrie Govan, so I'm not sure what kind of tone that is. If you want versatility, I've heard Mesa F-30 do very well in that deparment, but they're not cheap and you have to find it used.

hopefully that helps a bit too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by music_mike
Isnt the B-52 the ones that they say try to emulate Mesa's as best as possible without breaking the budget?

No, people just like to call it a poor mans Mesa. I dont think they were trying to emulate Mesa, because mine doesnt really sound like one.
Wow.. Thanks again Dave, that post was actually quite informative... Since I havent had the chance to play one yet, that really gives me an idea of what others think of it. And if people who played longer or better then me dont like it then it may not be all that Im hoping for...

Bulletrocks, thanks for that info... I had heard about some amp being said to try and "rip off" Mesa triple recto's and I couldnt remember if it was the B-52... But as I've never played one of them either, I dont really know what they sound like, so...

But in another thread I saw something that sounded kind of interesting and was wanting to get yalls opinions on it real quick...

They were talking about someone getting a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 to run a Line 6 POD through... I know that one of the guys from TSO uses a Line 6 POD directly into a PA system to get his live tone, and I like the tones that they have... SO would some kind of modeler pedal like that run through the Tech 21 be an ok choice for getting some decent tones? Because the more and more I think about it, I think that alot of versatility could come in handy since hopefully this will be the last set-up that I have to buy while in college....
no problem. as i said, i haven't tried it, but most who have seem to either think it sucks, or that it's alright, but nothing special. EDIT: i'm not too sure about the modeller route, i don't really have all that much experience with them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dave's post #10 pretty much nailed it.

80's metal would basically be thrash metal (Metallica etc) and that was the sound I heard every time I played the Windsor. Granted it was a half stack and I have not played the combo. VK would work, but you would need a new speaker.

I think the Windsor would fit well and Welcome to UG

Seriously.

This guy is great.

Everything he post makes perfect sense.

Also check out.

Classic 30.

Delta Blues.

all peavey amps that are one hell of a bargain for 600 bucks, some of the best amps youll play and pay for the price stock.

Also AC15's go for 600 and there really nice little amps with lots and lots of power.

some of the nicest and gritty, clean and OD's youll get from this amp.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 15, 2008,
Ha! Thanks KID^

BTW - I'm not always right

I played the stack version at Best Buy in the loud room. Pretty decent for the price. Effects loop and EQ are nice to have but lacking a second channel like someone else pointed out is a draw back imo. Would I buy one? Maybe, if I needed that sound at that budget. Would I recommend someone to go play for themself? Yes. Worth checking anyway.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8576882&type=product&id=1204331537149

Not as nice as a Classic 30.
Well I know how hard it is for me to try and describe a sound that Im after and yall be able to know what Im talking about (cause most of the time I dont make any sense... lol) so I guess the easiest way to describe the tone that Im looking for is somewhere between the solo to Lady Redlight - Great White and No More Tears - Ozzy.

And really guys I cant thank yall enough for the tips, hints, pointers, and overall great advice that yall are giving me...
Quote by Dave_Mc
as i said, the windsor combo might have a different tone to the head... you'd need to try it.

I want to add a comment to this. I haven't played the Windsor head, only the combo, but I have played the Classic 30 combo, and also Classic 30 head with a 4x12 cab, and I've also played the Classic 50 combo with 4x10. Out of all those 3, I liked the Classic 30 half-stack the most. To me it seemed that playing it through a separate cab, it just stood out. If it had dedicated EQ for channel 1 and 2 and if I was in a market for a half-stack, I'd probably bought that instead of the Traynor YCV50 Blue that I bought. To me, I don't have room for a half stack. But I just want to underline the fact that the Classic 30 head+cab I thought sounded fairly better and also sounded more warm than the combo version, even compared to the Classic 50. So head might be different story to the combo.

Not to mention that Windsor head is 100 watts and the Winsor Studio is 30 watts I think, so I imagine things are different. From my understanding, the Windsor 100 watt head is very similar to the Marshall JCM800. It is one channel, 100 watt amp head, I can see it sounding VERY similar to the old-school one-channel JCM800 (on paper).

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

EDIT: At the end of the day, it's what makes you satisfied that you should buy. I wanted a dedicated clean channel so the Windsor wasn't for me. If it fits your bill though and the sound you hear when trying it is something you want, then by all means go for it (be it the Windsor or whatever else you try out that you like).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 15, 2008,
^ thanks for checking this thread

my problem is the opposite- i've tried the head and not the combo. The head will certainly do that 80s hot rod marshally kind of tone... will the combo? dunno. but if you need good cleans too, the head didn't really have anything in the way of clean headroom, even with being at 100 watts. the tone started off at kind of ac/dc levels of dirt, and only got heavier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
$600 would almost get you a traynor ycv50- they're meant to be pretty nice. I haven't tried it, but i have tried the 40 and 20, and they're nice (they're all voiced differently, though- the 20 is kind of voxy, the 40 fendery, and the 50, allegedly, marshally, which is probably what you want for the 80s metal stuff).

Interesting you mention this. I got my YCV50 this weekend for $600 CAD used from the music store. It sounds great and I got a full year warranty with it, and as far as I'm concerned with these type of amps, if it works great it's basically as good as new. With the exchange rate nowadays, it appears I paid $485 US for my amp, which I think is a good price.

FYI, I was looking for something similar what the TS described, good cleans and 80s "hard rock" tone. I have only been playing for a few months though compared to TS's 5 years, so his opinion of quality of tone on these amps will probably differ than mine. The best thing you can do is go out there and try some amps out. It was really cold here in my town this weekend (and also last weekend) so the music shops were pretty lifeless, I was able to crank these things to what I would consider a reasonable level to hear what they're made of.

BTW, this thing's more than loud enough for gigs.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 15, 2008,
ah, you spotted that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?