I asked the guy that works there if they had any tube amps. He said no.

Then, my dad asked about them. The guy said that I wouldn't like it when I "broke it in" in a year. He basically told me that a decent tube amp wasn't worth it. I think he was trying to f*ck me over into a deal with a MG...well actually it would be the Randall equivalent of an MG. Am I right?
what a dick! DONT DO IT!!!
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
yep. go somewhere else that isn't full of pricks.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
probably. I would tell him to F off. Sales persons are there to help you buy what you want, not to tell you their opinion on what is good gear, unless it falls into what you want. I would tell the manager, guy should be reprimanded for killing sales like that.
i enjoy head
Quote by underoath0902
what a dick! DONT DO IT!!!

I wasn't planning on it mate. The only thing is, I can't get my dad to understand that the freakin' ones up there sound just as 'tight' as my MG practice amp. Dear god, I hope he doesn't spend $500 on a crap amp as a 'surprise'...

Quote by metallicafan616
yep. go somewhere else that isn't full of pricks.

I would, but there aren't any others around here. The closest one is a Guitar Center that's likie 2 hours away...ROAD TRIP!
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 13, 2008,
what a douchebag
how he got the job, he must have been the managers son or something
go somewhere else but tell them why when you get a new tube amp and take pictures in and say how much you spent and then tell them that you spent it somewhere else and that they just lost a business oppitunity because of the salesman. really really rub it in.
they'll be more careful when they pick their staff next time
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
yeah, pretty much. assuming you're willing to spend on tube changes and rebiasing every so often.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The.new.guy

I would, but there aren't any others around here. The closest one is a Guitar Center that's likie 2 hours away...ROAD TRIP!

hey i drove for 4 hours to get to a guitar shop
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
When I went to get my first Tube Amp, I didn't how much about them, so they were pricks. Just sound like you know what you're talking about, and they'll put you on the throne. Sad, but true.
It's all going to depend what AMP if he buys for one for you at $500.00 there are plenty of good Solid State amps out there. Marshall MGs are horrible though I had an MG 100 full stack before I got my Line 6 Spyder II half stack. I couldn't believe how much better the Line 6 is. I also have an MG 10 practice amp that is just horrible. I got a cheap Estaban 10 watt that blows it away and I use a whole lot more.

I think the guys was blowing smoke up your a** and I would never go back there. They probably don't want to invest in expensive amps and are trying to sell you something they are making a huge profit on. A good tube amp can be great but again there are good solid state amps out there that can stand up to tube amps.

Hey, if i had an endless supply of dough I would get me another vintage Marshall full stack like I used to have an early 70s JMP Superlead MK II with 1960 a/b stack but they are just priced out of reach now and I am not crazy about the new ones. I have tried a few tube amps but so far nothing has impressed me enough to go out and get one.

I did just get back from my usual trip to the guitar shops and I finally tried out some Blackheart Amps and was impressed. I need to bring one of my own guitars with me next week and give it a shot.

John
+20 Level UP!! Taking your guitar is VERY IMPORTANT.
Thanks for bringin that up.

That guy is a real jerk. He's just tryin to move an amp he can't sell.

If you go into a reliable store with used gear...you can get some amazing
deals on the stuff dreams are made of.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I love tube amps. although solid states are good for metal if you get a decent one. Tube all the way!
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by johnro6659
It's all going to depend what AMP if he buys for one for you at $500.00 there are plenty of good Solid State amps out there. Marshall MGs are horrible though I had an MG 100 full stack before I got my Line 6 Spyder II half stack. I couldn't believe how much better the Line 6 is. I also have an MG 10 practice amp that is just horrible. I got a cheap Estaban 10 watt that blows it away and I use a whole lot more.

Oh wow.

Anyways, I'd suggest you learn more about tube amps before making a decision, because they are a lot of trouble (buying new tubes and rebiasing), although their tone makes up for it... or you could get a nice solid state amp.

Looks like they are screwing you though. They probably think you just want to try them out not actually buy them.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by The.new.guy
Hmm...What's rebiasing, how often do you have to do it, and how much does it cost?

if it's a push-pull amp (most amps with more than one power tube), when you change power tubes you normally also have to rebias. Not with every amp like that (as some are biased in such a way as you don't have to rebias), but with a lot, you do. you only have to do it when you switch tubes, i think (unless the bias was already set incorrectly, or drifted)...

not entirely sure how much it costs, it's going to depend on the tech i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The.new.guy
Hmm...What's rebiasing, how often do you have to do it, and how much does it cost?

You can bias it yourself also with a multimeter and a bias probe, if you dont mind working with lethal voltages
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard