Hey guys just want to check something out with you guys. My brother picked me up a set of strings for my Elite-5 the other day as I needed some new ones, the thing is he got me a set of Rotosound Swings and they are Long Scale 32-34 inch. The problem I see is that my bass has a 35 inch scale neck. I put the E and G strings on to try and they were too tight, very low and couldn't play an open note.

I didn't have a problem last time I restrung my bass so am I right in thinking that these strings are too short and don't have enough slack for my bass?

Thanks in advance guys.
Does the string reach the nut when it's still thick. If the thinner bit is over the fretboard, you'll have a problem.

With them being too low, you can adjust the action.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
They're probably too short. My guess is that your schcecter is string thru body as well right? Have a look at the end of the strings where they taper off. That should be on the headstock side of your nut, if it's on the fretboard side of your nut, then they're too short and you need some longer strings.
The length has nothing to do with how much slack a string has. That's completely dependent on the gauge of the string. Sounds like you were used to lighter strings and wound up with a set of heavy ones. Nothing to worry about.
Nope, no sig here.
They reach the nut when they are thick, but the nut fell off yesterday and my bridge saddles have started to come out too, methinks a trip to getr it set up and sorted is in order =[

There goes my birthday money!
You can put the nut back on with superglue...

How are the saddles coming off? That makes no sense...
Nope, no sig here.
I've glued the nut back on otherwise I wouldn't be re-stringing lol

Here's a picture of the bridge from an Elite-5:

See the silver things the string runs over about halfway up the bridge? They are coming out pretty easily, and I'm not sure whether they are supposed to.

Thanks for the help guys.
from what I can see that bridge is similar to the one on my bass. so find a set of allen wrenches and look for something you can screw in

i think that's what you should be tightening
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Last edited by capslockisnton at Dec 14, 2008,
Tightening the screw will only raise the action. TS the saddles coming off isn't a big deal as long as they stay on when there are strings on it.
They haven't come off when the strings have been on, the problem is that the strings I have at the moment are too short. You guys think getting some longer strings will sort my original problem with them being too tight to play an open note and being pretty much resting on the frets?

Cheers!
If they dont reach the nut properly you need longer strings.

Theres no other way around it.

When you have longer strings, but want less tension, buy a thinner gauge. If they're hitting the frets, raise the action.

This is as best an answer you're gonna get with the information you've supplied.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by TobyFellrunners
They haven't come off when the strings have been on, the problem is that the strings I have at the moment are too short. You guys think getting some longer strings will sort my original problem with them being too tight to play an open note and being pretty much resting on the frets?

Cheers!

so is the reason that your strings lie on the frets because your strings taper before they reach the nut, causing them to lie lower?
I mean if you're trying to put 32-34 inch strings on a 35-inch bass i'm 98% certain you need longer strings
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
so is the reason that your strings lie on the frets because your strings taper before they reach the nut, causing them to lie lower?
I mean if you're trying to put 32-34 inch strings on a 35-inch bass i'm 98% certain you need longer strings

They don't taper before the nut, but even when I try and tighten them up to tune them, they eventually become too tense thus making it unable to play an open note. the strings are too tight. I'll have a go at raising the action to see if that changes anything, would I go about doing that by using the screws that were pointed out in the above picture? If not I'll get some Long Scale strings and maybe a lighter gauge although these are regular gauge which are what I have always used.

Anywho cheers for the help guys!
The tension will be just as high if you used extra long scale strings of the same gauge.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
I just can't understand why it's doing this now, as I've never had the problem before when I've restrung it. I'm thinking raising the action will be my next step then if that doesn't work I'll take it for a setup, needs one considering it's only been setup once since I bought it, lol.
the screw i pointed at in that picture is (on my bass at least) the one to hold the saddles in place so they don't fall out when you change your strings (and then find out a day later after your mom vacuumed the floor and start freaking out even though it turns out she picked them up and put them on a shelf ). the ones to change your action are on the top side of your saddles

and your problem has perplexed me, so i support the idea of taking it to a store
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
what are you tuning it too?

I've tuned EADG with BEAD strings in my past, it made my fingers strong very fast because of how hard each string had to be played.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
This sounds very much like you got a thicker gauge than normal. It's nothing to worry about. Just get a thinner set
Nope, no sig here.
Just thought I'd update the thread. Solved the problem at last!

Turns out that the problem was just that I hadn't put all of the strings on and that was causing the neck to back bow a little. Once all 5 were on and in tune the bass sounded amazing. Thanks for all the help guys, can close the thread if you want.

-Toby