I'm not sure if this is even the place to be discussing this, but can anyone recommend a decent pick-up for a Kontrabass 111 BR (set up for jazz).

I'm part of an alternative band, and there are influences from noise rock to funk.
Now obviously for the heavier songs I would be using a standard electric, and switching basses for different songs.

Also, can the double bass be played alright through a standard bass amp? (ashdown mag 300) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, but just in case.
Well... it won't sound the same.

Mic' it up through the PA system.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I have no idea but try find something that doesnt clour the tone. Just makes the signal.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Casketcreep
Double basses are awesomely hard to mic up correctly though.

You know what's harder? To find a decent sound with an upright through an amp. But if you're set on finding a pickup both fishman and the realist are good pickups.
^ it is very hard i'll give you that but not impossible and nowhere near as hard to do as mic-ing them up.

What you need is a feedback buster. I use long socks that are stuffed with other socks and i throw them in the F-holes. Now a 4x10 is not gonna be the greatest amp to play through, you really need a 1x15 for the lows that you're gonna need to EQ. As a general guide i cut highs and mids and boost lows on my double which has bug pickups. An EQ pedal or preamp is preferable too.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I'm going to attempt using the EQ settings on the amp for my regular bass, and then when I switch to the upright I can put it through an EQ pedal to even it out a bit.

If that doesn't work I'll look a little further into mic'ing it up.