well today is my cousin's birthday and i havn't bought him a present yet (yeah im horrible) I play guitar, he plays bass. So im thinking i could just go to GC and pick up something for him. What would a bassist who likes RHCP type music want from GC for atmost 50$.

thanks
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Maybe some tab books? A compression pedal might be good if they have any in that price range. A gift card if nothing else.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Get him some stainless steel strings.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
for their instrument and role to be spelt correctly.

and to not be a dick...
some strings.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
he's turning 13, so he's pretty young but he does play in a band, (his school has a rock-band program) but they play pop rock stuff. so i really dont know.. but yeah ill look into a pedal or some strings. But what about a good strap, ya think he'll apreciate that?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
ghs flea signature strings. a chili peppers tab book. picks if he uses them.

edit: the levi's 2 1/2 inch wide strap is great and its about 40 bucks. it really helps when playing standing up though.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Funkbass: That's not John

Anyway, I'd say get some Strings, a RHCP tab book, or maybe new strap.

And if you get him a pedal, note that Flea only uses Three pedals:
MXR Micro Amp
Boss Bass Overdrive
EHX Q-Tron
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Or a cheap multieffects unit.

i think i'd prefer a grenade without a pin.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
i think i'd prefer a grenade without a pin.

So if I asked the question:

Multi FX unit or messy and destructive death you'd say the latter?
Quote by DeltaFunk
Funkbass: That's not John

Anyway, I'd say get some Strings, a RHCP tab book, or maybe new strap.

And if you get him a pedal, note that Flea only uses Three pedals:
MXR Micro Amp
Boss Bass Overdrive
EHX Q-Tron

i know thats not john but i like john better. Flea also uses more than 3 pedals. i saw them play live in 07 and he had about 8 pedals on his pedalboard.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by aaciseric
So if I asked the question:

Multi FX unit or messy and destructive death you'd say the latter?

I'd say multi-fx. He might not even like distortion.
A nice strap with straplocks would be an awesome gift. I personally recommend Dunlop Straplocks (sometimes called "Dual design" straplocks I think) and a planet waves nylon strap. They have a good selection of cool designs and I find them the most comfortable. That should run you right about $35.

Be warned: the straplocks require some minor installation. Not hard, but don't over tighten the screws when you install them or you'll strip the wood.
A Boss ODB-3 pedal, pretty sure flea uses, or did use it, though its probably more then $50.
See if they have a DOD FX25b, Its a $40 envelope filter. If he likes Flea he will love it.
multi-fx, imo and experience, are tacky peices of plastic that really mess up tone. my boss (nnot sure what exactly) has really unrealistic sustain, which means if you play a note softly, it doesnt register to go through the box....
i think a cd of a cool bassist would be good- (vic. wooten?) for awesome inspiration, or mbe a nice lead or something- you can get ones with wooden cases at either end of the lead that look really nice.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Safe to say dude's birthday was over a week ago.

And for a week I've been wondering what's so funny about getting a bassist a wah-wah pedal. I mean, I have 2 different ones on my board...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Safe to say dude's birthday was over a week ago.

And for a week I've been wondering what's so funny about getting a bassist a wah-wah pedal. I mean, I have 2 different ones on my board...

Ive jammed with a pretty large number of various musicians who didnt even know they make bass-specific distortion pedals. From that stand point, a bass player with a wah pedal is kinda funny.....eh nevermind

Most people associate wah with people like Slash, Hendrix, and Hammet - the people who rarely turn it off. Applying such a tool to the bass guitar (Burton excluded) seems unfathomable to the ignorant.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Ive jammed with a pretty large number of various musicians who didnt even know they make bass-specific distortion pedals. From that stand point, a bass player with a wah pedal is kinda funny.....eh nevermind

Most people associate wah with people like Slash, Hendrix, and Hammet - the people who rarely turn it off. Applying such a tool to the bass guitar (Burton excluded) seems unfathomable to the ignorant.

RHCP, Higher Ground. There you go. Pretty well know song.
Get him a pack of strings! You can't go wrong with strings!!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by watchingmefall

What are proving to him? One example of wah-pedal use? he already gave three, albeit a generalization
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by watchingmefall

Im aware of this, i was just commenting on how little the general populace of non-dedicated bass players know about effects pedals for the instrument. People familiarize wah wah with guitarists who are in love with the effect, like the 3 i listed, and cant imagine something like using wah on a bass. Even people who are familiar with Higher Ground dont really recognize the wah, they just go "wow, sick slapz, Flea is the worlds best bass play0r!!11!". I showed a friend of mine a picture of Justin Chancellors rig and setup, and he commented, "why the f*ck would a bass player need that many effects?"

So yeah, my point was that the musician population that ive been exposed to personally are ignorant about the realm of bass guitars. Then again, im young so alot of the people i play with are in the musical dark age still (i.e: Dethcore and metalcore are the dominant genre's around here). People find it odd that im not a slap bass fanatic and i idolize JPJ more than Flea.