Hi i just buyed a Pod 2.0 and I need help to get some specific sounds out of it.
I want my guitar to sound like these songs:

-Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Fade to Black (clean and heavy) by Metallica
-Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
-Comfortably Numb solo by Pink Floyd
-Don't Forget Me solo (live at Slane Castle) by Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Master of Puppets by Metallica
-Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
-Any acoustic sound

Sorry for my english im french
one of the best places to get tones is customtone.com, thats line 6's website for patches that users have done and one that line 6 themselves you should fine them easily, then upload them through the usb to your pod
have you hooked it up through midi cables and installed the software? if so, go to customtone.com and look for presets
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i got a 1/8 to 1/4 cable but after i plug it in my comp, i dont know what to do. And how much cost a midi cable? Is it worth the price?
Quote by JFrusciante007
i got a 1/8 to 1/4 cable but after i plug it in my comp, i dont know what to do. And how much cost a midi cable? Is it worth the price?

you dont NEED to hook up your POD to the computer with midi, but since you dont have the USB option, your going to need it if you want to edit your patches on the computer as well as download other people's settings. i dont know exactly how to hook it up to the computer with midi, but look into it since compatibility with computers is pretty much my favorite thing about pod's
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I don't have the recent version of the pod 2.0, so it doesnt have a usb plug in it. Can u send me a picture of what the midi cable looks like?
Quote by JFrusciante007
I don't have the recent version of the pod 2.0, so it doesnt have a usb plug in it. Can u send me a picture of what the midi cable looks like?

none of the pod 2.0's have usb. i dont know anything about midi cables and stuff, so your probably gonna want to ask someone else.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Midi won't help, you can't assign tones to the Pod 2.0 from the computer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
most of those tones are pretty straight forward ones.
Like for the metallica use the modern high gain model with some slight mid scooping.
For frusciante try the brit models with some EQ tweaking.
For the floyd put in some delay on the classic brit model.
Quote by JFrusciante007
Thats the cable i have: http://www.music123.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-Dual-1-4--Y-Cable-330480-i1166742.Music123

I plug it in my pod to my comp, but after i have no idea what to do, there's is no message like New material detected or something like that. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!

no, you dont understand. that type of cable will work for recording, but for editing tones on your computer, you'll need to use the midi outputs of the pod. no digital signal is transmitted through that type of cable, only audio, and therefore, it's not gonna show that a new device was put in or anything.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I never get this. I mean modelers are okay for what they do and I messed with them for years before I just started buying more and more tube amps. I understand the need for recording and practicing with them. But when people try to achieve tones that sound like their favorite band it doesn't work. I've saw all kinds of settings and it never sounds ANYTHING like it. I'd just get a tone that sounds simliar to what you want to play and then play it. You can probably get it better than what someone else recommends. A lot of people get confused because of how they market these things. I met a guy one time who REALLY did thing that getting a spider was a better option than dual rectifier because it simply said it had a rectifer model on it. He actually believed that it would sound the same because he was a beginner and knew no better.

flame me all you want lol I know I was once a beginner with these same questions but I realize how stupid I looked back then.
Quote by hcsn2008
I never get this. I mean modelers are okay for what they do and I messed with them for years before I just started buying more and more tube amps. I understand the need for recording and practicing with them. But when people try to achieve tones that sound like their favorite band it doesn't work. I've saw all kinds of settings and it never sounds ANYTHING like it. I'd just get a tone that sounds simliar to what you want to play and then play it. You can probably get it better than what someone else recommends. A lot of people get confused because of how they market these things. I met a guy one time who REALLY did thing that getting a spider was a better option than dual rectifier because it simply said it had a rectifer model on it. He actually believed that it would sound the same because he was a beginner and knew no better.

flame me all you want lol I know I was once a beginner with these same questions but I realize how stupid I looked back then.

you do realize how stupid you look, right. first of all, many bands use modellers because tube amps can be unreliable and annoying to carry around. they know that a modeler isn't a tube amp. theres a guy named misha mansoor in a band called periphery for example, he has owned several tube amps including extremely high end ones. he likes them, he uses them for live stuff and practice and recording occasionally, but he still uses his line 6 pod for tons of stuff. my point is that people dont buy modeling stuff just for the sake of trying to sound like theyr playing through a tube amp...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by hcsn2008

Ok thats good for you but im only 15 years old so my budget is very limited and buying tube amps is not an option for me, thats why i bought the Pod.
Last edited by JFrusciante007 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
no, you dont understand. that type of cable will work for recording, but for editing tones on your computer, you'll need to use the midi outputs of the pod. no digital signal is transmitted through that type of cable, only audio, and therefore, it's not gonna show that a new device was put in or anything.

I know that I cant edit tones but how can i record? I just downloaded cubase but i dont know how to record.
plug the two 1/4 inch ends into the two outputs of the pod, and put the 1/8 inch part of the cable into the microphone or line input on your computer. try recording now and tell me if it works
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I know how to plug it but i dont know how to record. What im supposed to do on my computer? thx for your help
Quote by JFrusciante007
I know how to plug it but i dont know how to record. What im supposed to do on my computer? thx for your help

on cubase, start a new track and hit the record button im guessing...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
you do realize how stupid you look, right. first of all, many bands use modellers because tube amps can be unreliable and annoying to carry around. they know that a modeler isn't a tube amp. theres a guy named misha mansoor in a band called periphery for example, he has owned several tube amps including extremely high end ones. he likes them, he uses them for live stuff and practice and recording occasionally, but he still uses his line 6 pod for tons of stuff. my point is that people dont buy modeling stuff just for the sake of trying to sound like theyr playing through a tube amp...

Many bands? None of the bands i listen to use modellers. They use the real thing. Annoying to carry around and unreliable? What are you talking about? out of all the years I have used tube amps I've never had one problem. And who cares if it's heavy? I'm not lazy and I'll do it for the tone I get. Some people may like them better but I've never heard a band even using a line 6 vetta that I thought sounded good tone wise. The music speaks for itself though. But as far as tone goes NOTHING beats the real thing... the warmth of a tube.. the feel of a tube.. the dynamics the harmonics the clarity at high gigging volumes.

Some people don't want a modeller when they can have the real thing it models. Even line 6 themselves have said their stuff is getting closer and closer but still does not sound like the real thing. But it never will because it simply isn't the real thing.

So I don't think I sound stupid at all. I think I sound like I'd rather have good tone... and the real thing over a little red pod in front of a Pa system just because I'm not strong enough to pick up a tube amp. "oh man they are so heavy" c'mon man are you serious? lol
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
on cubase, start a new track and hit the record button im guessing...

I tried that but i hear nothing, but the audio activity is moving when im playing.
Quote by JFrusciante007
I tried that but i hear nothing, but the audio activity is moving when im playing.

so you mean your sound is being recorded, but you cant hear it as its being recorded?

Quote by hcsn2008
Many bands? None of the bands i listen to use modellers. They use the real thing. Annoying to carry around and unreliable? What are you talking about? out of all the years I have used tube amps I've never had one problem. And who cares if it's heavy? I'm not lazy and I'll do it for the tone I get. Some people may like them better but I've never heard a band even using a line 6 vetta that I thought sounded good tone wise. The music speaks for itself though. But as far as tone goes NOTHING beats the real thing... the warmth of a tube.. the feel of a tube.. the dynamics the harmonics the clarity at high gigging volumes.

Some people don't want a modeller when they can have the real thing it models. Even line 6 themselves have said their stuff is getting closer and closer but still does not sound like the real thing. But it never will because it simply isn't the real thing.

So I don't think I sound stupid at all. I think I sound like I'd rather have good tone... and the real thing over a little red pod in front of a Pa system just because I'm not strong enough to pick up a tube amp. "oh man they are so heavy" c'mon man are you serious? lol

1. you're what people call a tube snob,
2. tubes sound nice, but most of the people who go for interfaces like the POD can't afford to buy every single amp and effect it models
3. modeling companies' intention is to make people who can't afford tons of mics, amps, cabinets, and effects have the ability to sound decent and be able to record. i never said my pod sounds EXACTLY like the real thing.
4. 84 lbs for a 2x12 combo is pretty heavy to me...
5. i understand your point that awesome rigs sound better than pod's and stuff, but to me it sounds like your going overboard, as if you needed huge amps to compensate for something...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Dec 22, 2008,
i have audacity so i'll try to help. alright, you said you already know how to hook the cable up, so next step, is to go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> click on the "audio" tab. next, in the section that says "sound recording", click on the "volume button". find out which slider affects the input that your pod is plugged into, and adjust it so that you can hear yourself playing through your computer speakers. next, on audacity, try pressing the record button. tell me if that works, you should be able to hear yourself as you're being recorded
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i have audacity so i'll try to help. alright, you said you already know how to hook the cable up, so next step, is to go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> click on the "audio" tab. next, in the section that says "sound recording", click on the "volume button". find out which slider affects the input that your pod is plugged into, and adjust it so that you can hear yourself playing through your computer speakers. next, on audacity, try pressing the record button. tell me if that works, you should be able to hear yourself as you're being recorded

IT ****ING WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks by the way
Quote by JFrusciante007
IT ****ING WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks by the way

its been a long thread, but im glad i could help i had trouble getting my pod exactly the way i wanted to at first, but now its perfect. also, after doing a few recordings on audacity, try going back to cubase, you'll probably be able to work it from the experience, and its a much better program. at first, i got reaper, and i didnt understand the slightest thing in it, so i went back to audacity for a while, then i went back to reaper and i was able to work it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
-1 for bumping old thread, but in response to your question, i think it should work. ask the line 6 forum just to be sure
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand