Page 1 of 3
i see all these douchy local bands bringing their full stacks to their shows. why would you need a full stack when ur not even playing it full volume, youre mic'd to ONE speaker. they are just creating more work for them to load and unload and move that **** around.
to pick up chicks
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
To look cool with their Marshall MGs.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
why bring an amp anyway? why not just plug into the pa with a danelectro pedal and your SG copy like a real badass!
Quote by iloveboobs99
what im a pig bcuz i like boobs. Ok who here like boobs! just wonderin. i do

Quote by Shoestick
Never has there been a time more in need of a smiley that pops a boner.

tee hee

check this out 4 real
Yeah, I see lots of people with full stacks just for the purpose of having a full stack. Lots of the time you can get a combo that sounds better than a fullstack, where if you need the volume you can be mic'd anyways. I realized I didn't need a half stack and 4 12's yet so I bought Fender Twin Reverb with 2 12's. Way more volume than I needed but I didn't buy it because of how loud it is, I don't even get the thing past 5 and a half or 6. Honestly I get happy when I see locals with Fender Twins or the smaller amps like Vox. Because they are there to play the music not focus on who's amp is bigger. And the funny thing is these amps have more balls, are louder and sound better than most peoples cheap fullstacks.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
to make up for your their penis

This.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
To look cool. Seriously. I hear local musicians all the time speaking on this. They think it looks better to have a bunch of dummy cabs or extra guitars on stage - like it makes them somebody. To bring a combo amp to a metal/rock show is kinda weak, image-wise. It is all about imagery, anyways. Perception is 90 percent of reality in this business.
How big are your local shows?

Full stacks are a bit over the top, but a half is nice for stage volume.

I hate monitors, they suck my dick.
Quote by willieturnip
How big are your local shows?

Full stacks are a bit over the top, but a half is nice for stage volume.

I hate monitors, they suck my dick.

Well... local shows range from 50 people to 2,000... depends on the venue. There are a few venues in my town worthy of bringing a full stack or more. Most are not even worth playing in.

I agree, half stack is perfect. Monitors do suck, but are a necessity.
Quote by SoulTrip
Monitors do suck, but are a necessity.

Only if you sing.

I just stand with the kick drum drilling into the back of my head. Works every time .
Yeah really the only reason I enjoy playing through a halfstack is the ability to back up to my amp and be able to atleast audibly and clearly hear whats coming out of the amp itself rather than going off whats coming out of the p/a and monitors...combos can kind of be a pain for this. I don't know how many looks I've gotten at local venues from me walking in with my 112 combo and putting it on stage...I laugh.
not everybody has talent or a strong enough work ethic to play well - and really why bother? i mean people like watching full stacks with crap guitar running through them more than they like a guitarist who knows what the hell he's doing anyway, right?
Truth, 85 percent of the audience won't be able to tell a difference between a 30 watt tube combo or a 120 watt solid state head running through 4 stacks, but damn the guy with the wall of speakers must be a professional right!
Quote by willieturnip
Only if you sing.

I just stand with the kick drum drilling into the back of my head. Works every time .

You gig much?

Ok... walk 20, 30, or 50 feet away from your amp on a big stage without a monitor system. Can't hear d!ck, can you?

Monitors are generally a must. All pros use them because this is so. It's not an opinion issue. The only place you don't need monitors is dive bars if you play on a certain level.
yeah i play my little blues jr. which mind you is plenty plenty loud for small venues...it looks lame as hell but i get good tone out of it and its easy to carry...the truth is def that it looks cool, and like the guy said being able to hear yourself, i have trouble hearing wut im playing which makes it hard for me sometimes
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"

Aw come on! Don't that just scream SEX!!!!!!!!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument

Aw come on! Don't that just scream SEX!!!!!!!!

Yes, it does. It is the epitome of Rock and Roll.

if i had a van and a full stack. i'd bring it. why the hell not?

if i had a compact car and a 2x12 combo.. i wouldn't complain either
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Paul Gilbert uses a Marshall 2x12, and he plays to well over 10,000 people at times.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I felt very refreshed to see one of my favorite bands (The Dear Hunter) playing out of little combo amps on their headlining tour. Casey had a Blues Deville 212, Erick had an Orange head and matching 212, their bassist used an Ampeg fliptop, and the other guitarist had a Vox AC30. They all set up their equipment themselves, and only brought the guitars and effects needed. Nothing flashy.
I still think heads and 212 cabs look bitching. They're more classy than just plain rocking. However, half stacks are visually very cool. I think it depends how high the stage is, too. a 112 combo looks a lot bigger when it's at eye level to the crowd. But it's tiny if the stage doesn't exist.

People like to see things. Orange amps not only sound awesome, but they're freaking orange! How eye catching can you get?
If you use a stack and it still sounds awesome who cares. Part of rock n roll is overdoing things to some extent in my opinion.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. He has a wall of marshalls but just mics a little one under the stage and pumps his sound outta that.

I have a half-stack, it's not really that hard to cart around. I can fit 2 milk crates, 2 marshall heads, 2 mesa boogle 2x12 cabinets, my les paul, my buddy's strat and my buddy himself in my car... we also have room for some Tim Hortons on the way (coffee for you non-canadians).

I like the attack I get out of it (probly because it's a marshall). I used to have a JCM 800 combo but I traded it for a head + cab because it just sounded better, it had balls. Yeah, both were 50 Watt too.
Last edited by Superstrat101 at Dec 14, 2008,
I think full stacks look great. But I understand what the negatives are to them in a smaller venue!

And it's kinda better for the lower wattage amps to be onstage than the high watt amps because of tone. You can crank your let's say, a 20 watt tube amp and get that amazing tone you want. That's better than having a 100 watt amp on the same small stage, it's volume arrow isn't anywhere near the volume arrow on the 20 watt! And you won't get that epic tone.

So, I'd choose tone over looks any day. Although, the looks are nice too.
Quote by Mockingbird452
I think full stacks look great. But I understand what the negatives are to them in a smaller venue!

And it's kinda better for the lower wattage amps to be onstage than the high watt amps because of tone. You can crank your let's say, a 20 watt tube amp and get that amazing tone you want. That's better than having a 100 watt amp on the same small stage, it's volume arrow isn't anywhere near the volume arrow on the 20 watt! And you won't get that epic tone.

So, I'd choose tone over looks any day. Although, the looks are nice too.

50 Watt amps are pretty much ideal for smaller venues... if you're a rock band anyway. Im talking like the real out and loud bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N Roses (in their early days of course). You just need to get your singer to cut through in the mix.
Dude because the point of playing rock music at least is to be as over the top and loud as humanly possible and to look kick ass while doing it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Dude because the point of playing rock music at least is to be as over the top and loud as humanly possible and to look kick ass while doing it.

you can only be as loud as the venues speakers and PA.. ur full stack is pointess when its mic'd to one speaker.
Quote by Brokntragedy
you can only be as loud as the venues speakers and PA.. ur full stack is pointess when its mic'd to one speaker.

I agree im just saying it looks cooler with a full stack if you can stand the extra lifting and moving
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
i have two cabs but i never needed to use them as a full stack.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Because tone. Combos, half stacks and full stacks (and of course the almighty 20' Wall Of Speakery Doom) all have different tones. Even if you have the same head driving them, they'll all sound different.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
do stacks sound bigger than combos? do they put out more bass thump? are four or eight speakers really better than one?
I'm In an area where the same plauge of Douche-bag guitarist who bring Half and Full stacks to a 20-80 person concert. My band shows up to the biggest venue around and we have on Spider 65watt(I think not my amp, I hate spiders) combo, Bass player has a small 80Watt(once again not sure)Amp and we feel good.

The biggest piece of equiptment should be in order, 1:The drums, 2:the PA(if you have or need one), 3:Bass amp, 4:Guitar amp
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Because it looks cool.

If you're a blues/jazz player playing to people who get your music, this probably doesn't matter. If, on the othr hand, you play metal/hardcore/any genre that attracts fanboys, your image, sadly, does matter.

I was at a punk show yesterday, and the first band to come on had:
- a Fender FM212R (rhythm)
- an old Ashton head (probably SS) and an Orange cab they'd borrowed from one of the other bands (lead).

Then the next band's amps consisted of:
- 2 Marshall full stacks with JCM800 heads (rhythm)
- A Soldano head with 2 Marshall 4x12s (lead).

Who sounded better and put on a better show? The first band. Who looked cooler? Number 2. Who were more popular with the crowd? 2.

The fact is, image does matter. I don't want a full stack cause I'm a skinny little c**t, but I do want a GOOD head with a 4x12.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^ I'm sure UG would want clips do decide on anything there...given you said "punk" maybe you're just not brootalz enough?
Theres this thing called tone... some people like their's... idk...
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Dec 14, 2008,
Page 1 of 3