Alright, so I need a little help for my senior project for my high school. I am writing and recording my own music and making an album, which I will burn to a CD, present, etc. Sorry for the long read...

I have acquired plenty of software for doing so. I have Sony ACID Pro 7, the EZDrummer app, Sony Sound Forge 9, AmpliTube 2, and Guitar Rig 3 from a friend who has been into the whole guitar recording deal for quite some time now.

I am facing recording problems with the computers themselves. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (Stock, about 7 years old) and a Dell Dimension 4700C desktop (Stock as well, roughly 4 years).

I record from my guitar to a Zoom GFX-5 multi-effects pedal, out the headphone jack on the pedal, through a 1/8" cable, and into the mic input located on the PC. I've noticed that it is near impossible to get the tone and sound quality I want through this method, so recently I've taken to experimenting with AmpliTube 2.

I've noticed that the sound quality when using AmpliTube 2 is a little sketchy, most likely because I'm still using the line-in on the back of the PC in conjunction with the GFX-5 (which I put into bypass mode whenever I use Amplitube), and because my computers aren't exactly high-end. I've considered buying the Behringer Guitar Link UCG102, which would allow me to record through USB.

Would this unit eliminate some of the problems I face when recording through the sound card? I'm sure many of you know that CPU usage and sound delay are major problems that I wish to avoid. I mainly use the laptop for the whole ordeal, but Dimension is a little more capable than the laptop due to the fact that it is more recent, so I am willing to switch computers if that would help.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Suggestions in ANY field of my recording situation would greatly be appreciated, as I am totally new to the experience. Being a teen in the midst of the crappy U.S. economy, money is pretty limited, so ungodly amounts of spending is completely out of the picture.

Thanks!
ya you can't ever really get like perfect sound from a mic in, you can record and eq it and see if thats good enough but if its not i would suggest getting a mic and placing it in from of the amp, give a much less synthetic sound and has a high quality if done right. Otherwise ya just record to your computer and eq and see if it sounds better
I do have a mic, but unfortunately, it's not exactly the best of quality... I'm not sure what it may sound like if I decide to record using the mic, and with using a mic comes a whole different field of recording (ambient noise, mic position, etc.).

As I'm not exactly an expert on the whole process, I'm trying to stick with the simplest methods of recording, but I WILL experiment with it and see what I get...
Quote by SoulTrip
Close mic yourself. Buy a 2-channel mixer, and run your mics into that, then into your pc through the line-in. The myth that a 'crappy' computer cannot get the job done is just that - a myth. Listen to the recordings on my profile... they were done in exactly the manner as I described, and on a 600 Mhz cpu, no less... running Windows Millenium! The important thing is getting a clean signal to begin with - so a mixing device is a must! A 2-channel mixer is probably the cheapest route to go, as even the most inexpensive usb interfaces are at least a hundred or more - but you need an interface to control your line volumes, be it usb or thru the line-in on your soundcard.

I know that the USB device I'm considering comes with an interface, but, as terrible as it sounds, I'm willing to download an interface if it really comes to that.

The editing programs (ACID Pro 7) DOES have the ability to adjust the volume of the finalized loop, if that applies to what you're talking about...

I'm fearful of the fact that the sound quality may be from my effects pedal itself, as I have read before that it has a pretty low sample rate on its effects. Should I stick to using computer programs to apply effects, or should I just use my pedal?

2 mics and a 2-channel mixer would cost me money I don't really have. I'm terribly broke... I have a USB mic...which is about it...
Quote by Yomaster
I know that the USB device I'm considering comes with an interface, but, as terrible as it sounds, I'm willing to download an interface if it really comes to that.

The editing programs (ACID Pro 7) DOES have the ability to adjust the volume of the finalized loop, if that applies to what you're talking about...

I'm fearful of the fact that the sound quality may be from my effects pedal itself, as I have read before that it has a pretty low sample rate on its effects. Should I stick to using computer programs to apply effects, or should I just use my pedal?

2 mics and a 2-channel mixer would cost me money I don't really have. I'm terribly broke... I have a USB mic...which is about it...

don't use pedal effects - focus on getting as clean a signal as you can. If you need distortion, then don't record direct - close mic your amp. Try to use the program's effects, in your case.
Quote by Yomaster

Well, I'd like to see how you are going to download hardware. That would be impressive.

EDIT : Ah, you have a USB mic. You might be as well to just use that. What model is it ?

Basically, an audio interface is a piece of hardware which bypasses your stock soundcard. They usually connect via USB or Firewire, and you can plug your instruments and mics directly into it. The reason for having an interface is for higher quality sound and decreased latency (lag). It also gives you inputs more for recording, such as TRS and XLR inputs.

A mixer won't really help you at this stage, and will most likely be a complete waste of money. This is because the mixer won't really increase sound quality, and will have no effect on the latency you've experienced. This is because the audio will still be going into your stock card. I would recommend you buy a cheap USB interface to use with the computer with the highest spec. Do you have an money to spend on this, and how much if so? You say a small amount, but don't specify.

Also, a friendly word, a lot of people here don't like torrents and stealing software etc, so be careful what you say.
There is poetry in despair.
Well, torrenting software is hardly 'sharing information' is it? It's not paying for something which costs money, therefore it is stealing. If you're going to torrent, then fine, but don't pretend that it isn't stealing, because it clearly is.
Listen, I'm not the one giving you a lecture here, I'm just telling you what you can expect. Sharing directly is the same as torrenting. You're giving the software to someone for free exactly like you do when you torrent.
UG rules say something to the effect of not promoting the illegal sharing or downloading of software.

**Reported.**

Please stop posting in this thread.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 13, 2008,
So, everyone doesn't like my old-school approach to recording? A 2-channel mixer used on ebay is STILL cheaper that any M-Audio or M.O.T.U stuff or anything else worth a damn. Anywhoo... This guy has little to no cash, and you have to consider the following:

1.) He needs outboard gear for any results worth a damn

2.) All he has is a multi-effects pedal and a usb microphone

ok, so let's get all MacGuiver for a second...

Sounds like he doesn't have an amp. So... does your stereo in your room have auxillary inputs? Use your stereo as an amp, close mic your stereo speakers with the USB mic, control the levels via your soundcard on your cpu, and record away! As long as you can keep your input level from peaking, you should have something better than your current method, if you can adjust all the settings correctly.

Anybody else got any ideas?
References to helping people steal software have been removed....

Fair 'nuff.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.