so out of boredom i think i might mod my schecter by making a switch to switch of the emg's to single coils because the new ones have it and they sound better clean single coil

any one ever thought of doin this?
it wouldnt cost that much just need some wire and solder and a switch
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Why? All Schecter Hellraisers Have coil Taps, basically making any humbucker a single coil when you just pull the pots up.
only the new ones do i bought mine last year
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
theres a way its all just with electrical **** i know it can be done
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
Quote by NGMF-Sam
theres a way its all just with electrical **** i know it can be done

That's funny, because EMG are pretty adamant that it can't be done.

How do I wire a coil splitter? A phase switch?

The design of EMG active pickups doesn't allow access to the individual coil outputs from the pickups. As such, it's not possible to wire coil taps or pickup phase switches in the traditional manner. We do provide a number of alternative accesories to help you simulate some of these tone mods.

To create the sound of a split coil pickup, you can either change to the EMG-89 pickup which contains both a dual-coil humbucker and single-coil pickup selectable by a switch, or you can add the EMG DMSK Dual Mode Switch Kit which lets you customize a switchable high-pass filter to create a sound reminiscent of a single-coil pickup. One advantage of using these devices are that they will retain their low-noise performance, unlike a split coil pickup which will be quite buzzy compared to the humbucker mode.
It wouldnt make a drastic difference. Mainly bad cleans are from bad EQ on the amp or pedal or whatever(ad infinitum). The Lead settings on various pieces of equipment are there for a reason.

EDIT: has, TS got nailed. But the new ones DO have taps, not splits.
Quote by Lunchbox362
It wouldnt make a drastic difference. Mainly bad cleans are from bad EQ on the amp or pedal or whatever(ad infinitum). The Lead settings on various pieces of equipment are there for a reason.

EDIT: has, TS got nailed. But the new ones DO have taps, not splits.

*Splits.

Split - split the humbucker into single coils.

Tap - tap a single coil between the start and finish to incorporate fewer winds, and reduce the output.
well i meant making a tap
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
TS You CANNOT coil split an 81 or an 85, even if you think it can be done by changing something internally in the pickup, you will destroy it trying to open it, they are sealed in epoxy, they cannot be modified.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Just sell those EMGs and get the ones that do split! Yeesh =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
it cant be done end off

buy new pickups then it can be listen to mint
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
FYI:

THe new C-1 Hellraiser models come with this pickup in the bridge position:

http://www.emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?catalogid=190&section=Guitar&categoryid=6

It's the lead version of the EMG 89, which is a DUAL MODE pickup, not a splittable one.

The EMG-81TW humbucking pickup takes an EMG classic to a new level. The dual-mode design allows for maximum flexibility, with the original 81 providing all the crunch and aggressiveness it's famous for and an all new single-coil that features a fatter tone with plenty of punch and clarity. Either mode is accessed through a push/pull pot for versatility. Dual internal preamps, one tuned for single-coil mode and the other for dual-coil mode, give the 81TW two distinct sounds while delivering EMG's well known noise cancelling technology in both modes.