Okay well this is my first tube amp, and I just got it from shipment today. I need to know how to properly put the tubes in this amp because I don't want it blowing up on me. The guy put several tubes in the package, the 2 standard mesa EL84's, 2 12AX7 electro harmonix, and 4 EL84 JJ's. Now if I'm not mistaken this amp only has 4 ports for 4 tubes? Is there a certain order in which I need to put the tubes in? Because I placed some in earlier, plugged in, and the area near the chasis started smoking..... What am I doing wrong if anyone could help please?
Technically, you should place the power tubes in in matched sets (inner two are a set and outer two are a set), otherwise, the preamps just pop in and you should be fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 13, 2008,
that was the reason it was smoking? i placed them in an alternate order, first the power tube, then pre amp, then power, then preamp?
It shouldn't smoke if you plugged them in while it was off, doesn't matter which ones you plug in first, whichever way is easiest as long as they're all filled. You do have it plugged into a cabinet, or if it's a combo, the combo speaker, right?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
crap i think i found out why it smokes, my stupid self put a preamp where the power was suppose to go.....
Quote by MatrixClaw
It shouldn't smoke if you plugged them in while it was off, doesn't matter which ones you plug in first, whichever way is easiest as long as they're all filled. You do have it plugged into a cabinet, or if it's a combo, the combo speaker, right?

yea its a combo, i dont have it hooked up to a cab, and yes I plugged the speaker into the 8 ohm socket