When playing distorted I can't get the other strings to stop ringing. Whenever I try to palm mute anything other than the low E or low A, it either stops the string from playing or I can't play fast enough.

People have said to start slow and build up speed, but I'm unsure of how to do it in the first place.
use your fingers. if you are using your index and ring finger, use your index to mute the strings
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Use your palm to mute the low strings your not playing and the index finger for the higher strings.

Find a mod named freepower in the advanced technique section. He has a good video on muting technique.
If you're playing barre chords, you can slightly lift up the fingers on your left hand, which will mute all the strings. If you're having problems with open chords, this is something we've all gone through and you just have to learn how to use your palm, the knuckle of your thumb or a fingertip to mute a ringing string. It just takes time and practice.
touch em lightly with any part of those things on the end of your wrists thats convenient. all things are hard before they are easy.
It's for shred mostly, not really chords. I pick with my thumb and index finger, and I'm already running into problems with my other fingers accidentally hitting the strings. Ugh practice time.
I've been playing for about 4 months. I say 4 months because that's why i bought the guitar, but I've only really sat down to play it (5 + hours a day) for the past week.

So I like to consider myself a total newbie who's got under a week of experience.
I think you've already figured out the answer: Practice, practice and more practice.
It's just annoying when I'm trying to play my scales as fast as I can and all I hear is excess ringing coming from either strings I have already played or other strings I'm accidentally hitting, not with the pick but my other fingers. I'll look for that vid. Thanks.
Quote by gardon
I've been playing for about 4 months. I say 4 months because that's why i bought the guitar, but I've only really sat down to play it (5 + hours a day) for the past week.

So I like to consider myself a total newbie who's got under a week of experience.

The thing to remember with the guitar, is that it's not an easy instrument to play. It takes a lot of work to get good. The cool thing is, if you keep at it, you will get good. Experts seem to vary their opinions on practice time, but you should be playing at least 30 minutes each day and probably no more than 2 or 3 hours. Some experts say that anything more than 4 hours per day is wasted. I know some guys who practice 10 and 12 hours per day when they're actively gigging. As you play, you'll find that you occasionally stagnate and can't seem to progress any further. Keep plugging away and eventually you'll push through the hump. Good luck!
Quote by gardon
It's just annoying when I'm trying to play my scales as fast as I can and all I hear is excess ringing coming from either strings I have already played or other strings I'm accidentally hitting, not with the pick but my other fingers. I'll look for that vid. Thanks.

I'm going to tell you the same thing my instructor once told me - SLOW DOWN!!! You've only been playing a week. Right now, you want to be focussing on technique and learning the right way to play. Slow down and practice on hitting the right string(s). Work on your mute technique. After working slowly on a piece and getting it right, reward yourself by playing it a little faster. This is called pushing yourself - you want to do it, because it helps you learn. However, if you play too fast right away and mess it up, it won't help you learn and you'll pick up plenty of bad habits, which are very hard to break. So slow down and learn the piece or technique right, then speed it up a little. As you learn to play it at the faster speed, add some more speed and keep challenging yourself. Eventually, you'll be up to the speed to desire.
Quote by mikey son
Use your palm to mute the low strings your not playing and the index finger for the higher strings.

Find a mod named freepower in the advanced technique section. He has a good video on muting technique.

thus the name "palm mute"
you put your palm over the strings, where the bridge is.
let your pinky hang down to temporarily cut the treble strings. or just put your palm lower
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by stratdud39
thus the name "palm mute"
you put your palm over the strings, where the bridge is.

Yes and has the OP gone and seen that vid. it will help you OP. IT WILL HELP
i actually found that amp settings too high can cause alot of messy sounding muted strings.

are you sure you dont have too much distortion till the point its muddy?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I watched all of those videos and then all the rest that freepower put out. When he shreds he doesn't seem to mute the remaining strings with his left hand index finger (how could you if you're going that fast?) So is the only real way to mute the strings with your palm?

My biggest problem is with my Jackson sl1 soloist. The volume knob is right in the damn middle of the guitar body, forcing me to move my hand farther from the bridge in order to play. Perhaps it's my guitar that's hindering my performance?

Here's a pic:

Quote by gardon
I watched all of those videos and then all the rest that freepower put out. When he shreds he doesn't seem to mute the remaining strings with his left hand index finger (how could you if you're going that fast?) So is the only real way to mute the strings with your palm?

My biggest problem is with my Jackson sl1 soloist. The volume knob is right in the damn middle of the guitar body, forcing me to move my hand farther from the bridge in order to play. Perhaps it's my guitar that's hindering my performance?

Well, it's not the guitar, first of all.

Secondly, I use a lot of odd little legato tricks that require I use the tip of my index finger, so I often don't use/look like I use that portion of muting, but I can assure you not only do I do it whenever I get the chance, but that it's possible to do it playing WAY faster than me.