An amp, amplifies the guitar signal!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Nope.

An amp, amplifies the guitar signal!

well yeah, plug the guitar into an amp and plug that amp into a cab.
Couldn't you do it with some extra wires?
Nope, at the very least you need a power amplifier. But you can use a dist pedal as a preamp i guess.

The wattage coming from a pedal itself is far from enough to drive a cab.

EDIT: Yes, technically though you can of course plug the pedal in the cab, but the sound coming out would be extremely low or not audible.
Last edited by anubiz03 at Dec 13, 2008,
As I said, you need a power amplifier at the very least. That ain't a pedal, it's half of the components of an amp head.
If I read your post properly (others seemed to have read the last few words rather than the full sentence),

You want to use a Solid State combo (with a distortion pedal infront) to power a cab? If the SS combo has a line out for a cab, then yes, you can.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
some combos have an external speaker out, so yes it could be possible if your amp has one
it would work, but unless it's a really nice solid state amp you should probably just use the money for the cab on a good tube combo.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
it would work, but unless it's a really nice solid state amp you should probably just use the money for the cab on a good tube combo.

Cough dimebag Darrell cough
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
cough name one other famous guitarist cough

cough cough did Dimebag do it this way cough cough?
even if your combo doesnt have a line out, just take the backplate out and take the red and black wire off of the speaker. Wire these to a 6.1mm jack and your good to go really
But no. It wont improve your sound much. It will give you a fuller sound, and less of a "boxy" sound small speakers tend to provide, but really, buy yourself a nice tube amp instead. Those are available in many price ranges and will be a much better upgrade
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
that small solid state will need a speaker out jack.

if its a small practice amp, its unlikely to have one. but you can find speaker outs on 65 watt combos and maybe even 30 watt combos.

better than that tho.. maybe go for an epi valve JR head? i like the way those sound with distortion pedals, give it a whirl, maybe you'll like it too.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Thanks for the responses guys but I'm not even looking into buying me something, I'm just intrested if it would even work
Quote by Kivarenn82
that small solid state will need a speaker out jack.

if its a small practice amp, its unlikely to have one. but you can find speaker outs on 65 watt combos and maybe even 30 watt combos.

better than that tho.. maybe go for an epi valve JR head? i like the way those sound with distortion pedals, give it a whirl, maybe you'll like it too.

No, he can just solder a jack on to the wires going to the speaker.

+1 for the vjr great litlle amp.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
cough cough did Dimebag do it this way cough cough?

as far as i know he's one of the few, if not the only, famous guitarist to use a solid state amp.
WAYNE STATIC OMGZZ

Sorry I had to say it
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
WAYNE STATIC OMGZZ

Sorry I had to say it

?? Uses Marshall heads.

Back on topic: you guys are forgetting impedance... if he hooked that pedal up to the cabinet alone it'd damage the pedal due to mismatched impedance...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
as far as i know he's one of the few, if not the only, famous guitarist to use a solid state amp.

I thought his tone sounded a bit more like my Spider than the tube amps that I've played...
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
?? Uses Marshall heads.

Back on topic: you guys are forgetting impedance... if he hooked that pedal up to the cabinet alone it'd damage the pedal due to mismatched impedance...

But but but, thats not was hes asking. Read the post and see that hell run the pedal through a ss combo The title is misleading though
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
?? Uses Marshall heads.

He uses the MG head

But, back to the problem at hand. TS, the real question here, is why do you want to run your amp through a cab? If it's for more volume then a cab won't help. A cab will give you a bit more volume, barely enough to notice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
He uses the MG head

But, back to the problem at hand. TS, the real question here, is why do you want to run your amp through a cab? If it's for more volume then a cab won't help. A cab will give you a bit more volume, barely enough to notice.

But gets rid of that nasty boxy sound of <10" speakers overall better tone. But doubt the amp will be worth the upgrade
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
But gets rid of that nasty boxy sound of <10" speakers overall better tone. But doubt the amp will be worth the upgrade

A cheap distortion pedal through a cheap practice amp is gonna sound like dogsh!t no matter what cab it's run through. It won't sound like boxy dogsh!t, but dogsh!t nonetheless.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You can run a distortion pedal to a power amplifier (Sound System amp) into a cab. But that'll sound bad.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Thanks for the responses guys but I'm not even looking into buying me something, I'm just intrested if it would even work

Just for you guys who still believe TS is actually going to carry out this idea.
Quote by Kevin Saale
A cheap distortion pedal through a cheap practice amp is gonna sound like dogsh!t no matter what cab it's run through. It won't sound like boxy dogsh!t, but dogsh!t nonetheless.

true true
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla