yes I searched around...

So I'm looking at making a Steve Harris style bass off of parts I get on ebay etc.

His signature model has a fretboard radius of 7.25 which is smaller than any necks I have found either on ebay or warmoth, allparts etc. I play a Schecter now so I have no experience with Fenders as of yet but would I be better off getting a jazz bass neck or a p bass neck to better emulate that style of bass.

also anyone know the radius of the fretboard on my schecter C4?

thanks
Steve Harris plays an early 70s Precision.

The 7.25 radius is just a vintage radius used by Fender for ages. The radius is just the amount of curvature in the fretboard. Something with a radius of 0 is flat.

Most modern basses have a 9.25 radius, which makes it rounder. It also, in many people's eyes, makes playability easier.

I'm not sure if Steve Harris signature had a modern or vintage nut width, but Steve's bass is 1.75 at the nut meaning that its an inch and three quarters from treble side to bass side. Modern P-basses are slightly slimmer at 1.65 and most Jazz basses come in around at 1.5 for a narrower neck.

Your best bet would be to get an ash precision body, Seymour Duncan SPB-3s, a full sized maple neck with medium jumbo fretwire, and some quality electronics.
Quote by GeneralElectric
Steve Harris plays an early 70s Precision.

The 7.25 radius is just a vintage radius used by Fender for ages. The radius is just the amount of curvature in the fretboard. Something with a radius of 0 is flat.

Most modern basses have a 9.25 radius, which makes it rounder. It also, in many people's eyes, makes playability easier.

I'm not sure if Steve Harris signature had a modern or vintage nut width, but Steve's bass is 1.75 at the nut meaning that its an inch and three quarters from treble side to bass side. Modern P-basses are slightly slimmer at 1.65 and most Jazz basses come in around at 1.5 for a narrower neck.

Your best bet would be to get an ash precision body, Seymour Duncan SPB-3s, a full sized maple neck with medium jumbo fretwire, and some quality electronics.

No, a larger radius means the fretboard is flatter. Steve Harris' fretboard would be more curved than a fretboard with a radius of 9.25
A 0 radius would be no neck. An infinity radius would be a flat neck. Modern Fenders have a 9.5" radius, which is my favourite, and companies with more modern designs have 12" radiuses and above. Warwick broadnecks have a 47" radius.

I have a '51 P reissue with a 7.25" radius with small frets. The only "difference" is that since the fingerboard is more curvy, the notes will choke out sooner with lower action. That means you just have to have the action a bit higher than you would on a 9.5" radius bass, which is higher than a 12" radius bass, etc. Basses with small fingerboard radii tend to have thicker necks, and ones with bigger radii have thinner necks, and these go well with eachother.

If his sig is indeed 1.75" (and I think it's 1.5"), the 7.25" radius doesn't really feel any different.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
so far on ebay I've only found alder bodies for about $150 for the new 2008 bodies? that a good idea? I'm gonna get a badass II bridge, 1/4 pounders, etc. I'll start a thread in the GB&C when I get some stuff and then I'll find out also what pots I need and stuff too... Thanks, I'll probably try to pick up a Jazz bass neck then from warmoth or mighty mite or allparts? anything wrong with any of those companies? all licensed fender replacements right?
Warmoth makes some insanely heavy necks that are expensive and have poor fretwork. Mightymite, in my opinion, feels cheap. I recommend allparts.

My apologies on the radius info, I guess I had it backwards. Goes to show you shouldn't post at 1 am :p

For electronics I recommend CTS pots and switchcraft jacks and quality wiring.
guys i dont want to make another thread and since you are talking about replacent necks, how do warmoth necks compare to newer fender MIAs necks?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
No graphite neck support, therefore an inferior neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
No graphite neck support, therefore an inferior neck.

doesnt warmoth offers steel bars that are supposed to be stronger than graphite?, just wondering, not trying to stand for warmoth
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
THAT I'm not sure, but as a guy who has a steel reinforced Warwick and a graphite reinforced Jazz, the graphite does a better job at keeping necks stiff. They both do well, but the graphite does better.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
THAT I'm not sure, but as a guy who has a steel reinforced Warwick and a graphite reinforced Jazz, the graphite does a better job at keeping necks stiff. They both do well, but the graphite does better.

the reason Warmoth doesn't use it because it costs too much and they no doubt tried to cut it too thin.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
That and the whole "patented" thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102