I's Starting a traditonal punk band, meaning we will mostly sound like The Ramones and sex pistols. I talking simple bass riffs. Power chords threw out with only three chord changes and shouting out the lyrics. I was wanting in tips, tricks, ideas, theory, or any other **** you wish to say about having a punk band.
Quote by <vlad>
yea umm dont start a punk band...

Shut the **** up.

Punk like The Ramones doesn't have anything else but what you said.

The only required thing is to rock hard, and have fun.

I am in a punk band but we more melodic punk.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 13, 2008,
1. No solos (unless theyre short and simple)
2. Minor chords are your friends
3. Use all variations of the "power chord"
4.Don't be afraid to go out of key in your songs, your audience wont notice, and it will spice up your songs (and give you bonus theory points if you go from one eky to another)
5. Put all energy into speed and your lyrics. Punk is mor about the message behind the music than the actual music itself.
6. Try not to be a copycat of your band mates. One mohawk is enough.
7. Bass riffs can be complicated, use this to your advantage.
8 Your drummer only needs: snare, bass, hi-hat, crash. Toms are not essential, but can be added for variety
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Well it is actually hard to say because the Ramones and Sex Pistols were vastly different.

Ramones sound:
Be happy.
Write really, really catchy melodies.
Play a little bit faster than you have the technical ability for.
Write about cars and girls and fun stuff.

Sex Pistols sound:
Be angry and bitch about society.
Play slightly more mid-tempo but still be on the brink of falling apart all the time.
Write songs about hating the older generation and lyrics generally aimed at pissing them off.
Be a ****.
Well I think that you should be able to draw influences from a variety of the great punk bands such as The Ramones, Sex Pistols like you mentioned. But also, check out Dead Kennedys, The Clash, Black Flag, The Dead Boys and Dead Milk Men.
Awesome bands.
Also, don't be afraid to dip into grunge for some ideas for solos like Soundgarden and Nirvana have relatively simple solos on some of their songs.

Most important, like the others have mentioned, have fun! The great thing about punk is all the energy they (the bands) put into it, especially live. Just get into the music. Don't play in a punk band if you're doing it just to be "non-conformist", that comes along if you really are non-conformist. Do it because you love the music you play and because you want to get your message across!

Best of luck to ya!
Well.. eh.. Punk. That revolution is kinda over.. Y'know Punk was a "Riot" against Rock'n'Roll, right? <.< It was pretty much not supposed to sound good.. Just to piss off..

*sigh*
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
Well.. eh.. Punk. That revolution is kinda over.. Y'know Punk was a "Riot" against Rock'n'Roll, right? <.< It was pretty much not supposed to sound good.. Just to piss off..

*sigh*

Punks still always been there, and if it was a reflex against increasingly pompous mainstream rock (not rock n' roll) then what better time than now in a era of Muse, the killers and bloc party.
dont listen to what anyone is saying. there is no theory to punk! do whatever you want!!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

5. Put all energy into speed and your lyrics. Punk is mor about the message behind the music than the actual music itself.

most important thing ever. couldn't have said it better myself. just jump around on stage with guitars blaring and have a message. who cares what you sound like, you want to convey a message. that's what punk is
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Tophue
dont listen to what anyone is saying. there is no theory to punk! do whatever you want!!!

That is it excactly...

Do whatever you want. Rock hard and fast.. Do it your way.

Keep it as simple as possible... Don't listen to people who say punks talentless/s**t or anything else along the lines of that...
Pretend we're dead..
Quote by petho

Do it your way.

This. ^

I was around when punk took of for the first time back in the 70s and that was always the original punk ethos, be original, be different, but be yourself.
Of course eventualy like most other genres parts of punk started becoming uniform like everyone wearing leather and studs and bondage clothing and having spiky hair and bands all started sounding the same.

Try and go for a vocalist who sounds totaly different to anyone you've ever heard, as long as they are in time and fairly close to being in key they should be OK, but you're really looking for something unique.
Think about Johnny Rotten, Joey Ramone, Pete Shelley, Jello Biafra, even Bob Geldof, Pelle Almqvist from The Hives is another good example.
These singers all stand out because they have such unique voices.
They may not have what many would consider a particularly good voice and quite a lot would even describe many of them as having a caricature of a voice, but it simply doesn't matter.
The idea is to go at it with wild abandon and see what happens and somewhere in there will be the raw nerve, the fury of the music, the primal sound that just takes control of a crowd and makes it jump up and down. If you can capture that moment, that spark, that feeling, then emphasise on it, then you'll be OK.
Hey Im starting a punk band too, except mine is like old saves the day plus ska core. ANyway I would recomend the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). Don't use too many chords and don't change too fast, the cathiness is going to come from taking those three chords and distinguishing them fro oneanother. Don't be afraid to add half-steps and CLash like leads.
Erm, I'm gonna stick my neck out here and disagreee with eveyone who says:

1. Do this...
2.Never do that...

Etc.

Personally, I think that you play punk however you want to. It is a non-conformist music, so why do exactly the same as every other punk band does? Sure, use them as influences and don't discount things that makes their music good. But a the same time, don't be afraid to use things that you're stereotypical punk band won't use, eg. solos or whatever. Just because someone else hasn't used it doesn't mean you should close your mind to it, this is vital to getting you're own sound.

Good luck!
Quote by Tophue

im kinda with this guy, except that you should probably have a belief in something political, like Anti-Flag, etc.

Also, try acting real bad-ass on stage
Write simple songs. Play them as fast as possible.

Take well know songs from outside your genre, play them as fast as possible.

Play even faster.

Bonus points for disregarding social norms and rejecting authority.
get multiple tats preferable two whole sleeves and at least one of them must be the anarchist symbol
As long as you have something to say, you'll make it.
Oh, and dont do all that dropped tuning ****.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.