I went to my local musci store today, Long&McQuade.

I've always thought that Jackson/Ibanez were the perfect guitars for me, and that the only reason the Jackson/Ibanez' at the store felt awkward were because of bad setup. Although they are badly set up (The ones on display, anyways).

Anyways, I couldn't really find anything too good. I looked over, and I noticed a small Fender section (Only something like 15 fenders).

I tried out the '52 vintage Telecaster, and I didn't like it too much. Felt wrong in my hands. I tried out a Highway 1 Stratocaster. I like it, but the Bridge pickup was too twangy, even with the Tone set at 1 and the amp bass set at 12 (Fender amp, with a fat button. Goes up to 12. <3 Spinal Tap). I put it back, I tried another strat. American Standard, and it sounded fairly good. Only bad thing was the finish was so smooth, it slid! I went back, and I noticed one with Hotrails in it. It was a Billy Corgan signature. I tried it, and man that thing was amazing. First of all, like the other two fenders, the neck felt AMAZING in my hands. Far better than anything else I've played. I set the Bridge tone to 1, and the neck to 10. My god, that thing sounded great. Only strange thing is, I seem to be alergic to the material it's bridge is made out of? I have a dark pink spot from when I was playing it. There's a David Gilmour strat at the store that I'm definately going to ask to try when I go there next weekend.

tl;dr version: I discovered Fenders, love the necks, love the sound. My only question is, can I use a Fender (SSS with a stacked humbucker in the bridge, or HSS) to play Metal, and Blues?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Cool, i tried to get into Fenders but none of them felt right, then I picked up a Les Paul.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by ortrigger
You could use an HSS for metal. I'm not sure a stacked bucker could do it though.

Any HSS fenders you can reccomend? The only one I can remember seeing is the FMT strat, and that one is like 1,500 dollars.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Sounds like you tryed my amp (a beautiful Blues Jr). Im sure the HSS could play metal, just ask the boys from Iron Maiden. If you wanted metal tones Id look for a different amp though (assuming you were playing a blues jr)
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by V.U.K
There's a David Gilmour strat at the store that I'm definately going to ask to try when I go there next weekend.

WHERE?!?! Location needed ASAP!!!!!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
qoute:I looked over, and I noticed a small Fender section (Only something like 15 fenders).

I wish there was a music store near me that had 15 guitars! As most of them might have 10. If your lucky. And there's 3 music stores all within 100 yards of each other.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Sounds like you tryed my amp (a beautiful Blues Jr). Im sure the HSS could play metal, just ask the boys from Iron Maiden. If you wanted metal tones Id look for a different amp though (assuming you were playing a blues jr)

I know, but I definately will be getting a Blues Jr. for what it's made for. it sounds AMAZING for cleans

Is there any way I can change the fender headstock? I don't like it.

Would it be possible to cut of the circular part to make it a straight edge?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

I've seen used Fender HSS strats for really good prices on craigslist. you could try there. and watch ebay maybe too. IMO, craigslist is better cuz you can try before you buy.
Yeah the blues jr is a beautiful amp, i just got the limited edition NOS lacquered tweed one with the jensen in it. I dunno about the headstock, i cant imagine people not liking it, I love the look of it. I guess theres nothing stopping you cutting the circle bit off, but be very careful, thats a big investment to be recklessly sawing into. And you got to thing of down the road to, if you hack it up and tear off part of the head stock, then the resale value is probly gunna be very low. Just a thought.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: