Can someone please explain what this guy has done to receive such accolades?? What contribution has he made to the musical world that he is worthy of super stardom and being considered for raising from the dead as another thread is over run with his apparently still mourning fans are wishing for. I don't get it. His vocals were whiny and droned on and on. Whatever guitar he played was less than impressive and certainly nothing of note that I would remember. Maybe I'm just not getting something, but I am willing to listen to anyone who cares to try and change my outlook. He killed himself which shows his cowardice. I refuse to buy for one second this whole tortured artist BS. Anyway, I'm all ears.
Last edited by gregman1069 at Dec 13, 2008,
for one, he could spell his name correctly.

EDIT: ok, now time for the real reasons.

1. He single handedly created a genre. grunge. from this genre, other genres have evolved, like post-grunge and even alternative. he made the dirty popular and the clean boring. he took out hair metal and made the popular music hard, and the underground stuff and alternative stuff cool. and that is why he is so famous. I personally like his music and his guitar playing, but it's subjective; he was a better songwriter than guitar player though, you're right. it's just he writes so simplistic things that sound so amazing (to some people, anyway). And that is why he is remembered. Although I'm pretty sure this thread will be filled with Kurt-haters

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Dec 13, 2008,
He got pissed about people transposing the letters of his name, so he shot himself as a statement. He is now the patron saint of misspelled names and mumbling in the Catholoic church.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
His lyrics appeal to teenage angst. He died young. He really defined a musical movement. I know I for one think of Kurt when I think of grunge.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.

Everyone knows Courtney Love killed him.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
He wrote lyrics that were meaningful to an entire generation and got the entire Grunge genre on the map... That and he did it all while having chronic bronchitis, and severe stomach pains... I don't remember why he had them though.
he's a great artist because he died, just ask Dimebag & Hendrix
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Godsmack_IV
He played music which people enjoyed. Go ask the people in the Nirvana thread why they liked him.

This.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
All the facepalms in the world are not enough for you TS.

BTW
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
for one, he could spell his name correctly.

i concur!....or could he???
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
he MADE grunge music, died young, and could write lyrics like a super-duper somebytch!... and he could spell his name correctly...
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
he took way too many drugs
he sucked ass at guitar
made cool lyrics tho (but who listens to lyrics? guitar is where its at!)

overall, i hated nirvana cuz their music sucked other than the lyrics that i never even listend too.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by gregman1069
Maybe I'm just not getting something, but I am willing to listen to anyone who cares to try and change my outlook.

Oh well let me upload my pie charts....

go away.
*bends under the pressure of serious replies*

He wrote music that was the anti-hair music. The band wore flannel and jeans instead of leopard print spandex, the songs featured darker themes then "lets all get laid!", and the guitar playing was baritone and low-end instead of being all screech and powerchords with a thin guitar doing solos.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I never got it, either. The only thing I can see is this - in an era of excess in terms of musical ability (the 80's - early 90's), he played horsecrap for guitar and STILL changed the face of music, in the face of all that talent before him. He negated all the technical BS of the glam metal era, forged somthing new, and reminded us of beauty in simplicity.

Now, THAT is an epic move.
well he did basically kill metal and guitar solos during the 90's...bastard...
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate

He defined the music of his time, dude. He made music. People listened to and enjoyed it.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Quote by xFinnellx
he took way too many drugs
he sucked ass at guitar
made cool lyrics tho (but who listens to lyrics? guitar is where its at!)

overall, i hated nirvana cuz their music sucked other than the lyrics that i never even listend too.

You should be slapped several times.
Quote by wizards?
He wrote lyrics that were meaningful to an entire generation and got the entire Grunge genre on the map... That and he did it all while having chronic bronchitis, and severe stomach pains... I don't remember why he had them though.

and scoliosis. scoliosis= his spine was curved, causing severe pains. and the stomach pains caused him to try to self medicate with heroin, getting him addicted, leading to a long road of suffering. Did you know he died of a heroin overdose, not the gun wound to the head? when they did the autopsy he had over three times the lethal limit of heroin in his blood. being a junky, it would've taken about 2.5 times the lethal dose to kill him. So don't talk about his suicide/murder, we don't know what happened. leave it at that.