I'm looking for a guitar that will be good for jazz but will be able to play other style like blues rather well.

My budget is going to be 1000$ so fire away with suggestion.
Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Fender Strat, Gibson E-339. My guitar teacher even gets nice jazz & blues sounds from a SG, its all in how you play it.

edit: oops sorry about the E-339 i forgot your price range.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Yeah I current have a strat but if i'm going to be playing jazz alot I what to get a thick set of strings with wound G. And obviously that isn't the ideal set up for rock and blues. That's why I want a guitar that Can be set up good for jazz but also play other styles.
Never tried on of those for jazz, although I've read that Jaguars were orginally intended to have flat wound strings with a wound G so you may want to look into that, even a jaguar HH might suit what you want and i think it was like 800-850, or there's the hh special which I may buy, it doesn't have the tremelo but it has dual humbuckers
^ thats what my teacher uses, and jazz and blues is predominately what he plays
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I already have a US strat. I just want to put heavy guage strings on it for jazz which will make it harder to play rock blue etc. That's why i want a guitar for jazz seperatly but will be able to play stuff other jazz.
I know a professional jazz guitarist who regularly uses the Ibanez artcore series live.

Of course for $1000 you may be able to get a better built guitar from another company but keep in mind that cheap doesn't mean low quality.

Also I would look into a semi-hollow PRS SE of some kind.
I'd say Epi ES-335 or something like that.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I've ruled out the Jaguar HH. I looked at some reviews and demos. Alot of people said heard that the quality of some is really lacking and others aren't that bad. I've also heard the pickups aren't that great so I think I can rule t out.
Epiphone 335 with your choice of pickups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
I would say a tele would be one of the last jazz guitars that you would want. They're way too twangy, not smooth enough for jazz.

What kind of jazz are you playing btw? There's too many different types, fusion, are you comping?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
I would say a tele would be one of the last jazz guitars that you would want. They're way too twangy, not smooth enough for jazz.

What kind of jazz are you playing btw? There's too many different types, fusion, are you comping?

Don't rule out the tele so quickly. A lot of jazz artists use teles to get a certain sound. It may seem twangy until you put it in the hands of someone who doesn't play twangy.
Well that being said, it all depends on what kind of jazz you're playing, if you're comping for a big band or medium-small ensemble a tele is horrible. But if you're playing groove or funk jazz then it can work wonders, all of this of course depends on what kind of jazz you're playing. That's why saying "I need a jazz guitar" is pretty unhelpful.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by Guitar8000
I've ruled out the Jaguar HH. I looked at some reviews and demos. Alot of people said heard that the quality of some is really lacking and others aren't that bad. I've also heard the pickups aren't that great so I think I can rule t out.

The pups on the CIJ suck, on the MIM they're pretty good.
Quote by srvflood

Neck pickup... Gets a decent jazz tone quite quickly..

Bridge pickup with the tone control to zero; many peoples "go to" jazz tone. (That's a trad jazz tone btw; not a fusion thing)

I don't know how far $1000 goes these days; but the Ibanez artcore prestige thingie with the humbuckers and the wooden tail piece is pretty nice (can't remember the model no. unfortunately.) Or a second hand Benson model if you can find one (they sometimes go for around £500-ish here and are pretty swish.)

As you say blues too maybe a 335 styled thing.. The best I tried (including a few gibbos) was an old japanese tokai... So I'd reccommend those.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Guitar8000
I'm looking for a guitar that will be good for jazz but will be able to play other style like blues rather well.

My budget is going to be 1000$ so fire away with suggestion.

Gibson LP or equivalent copy. Why? because it is a jazz guitar
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Guitar8000

Play it for christ sake! you can't buy a guitar without playing it, I don't give a damn about reviews I mean yes they are helpful on occasion, but it's all about your opinion, and it sounds like your siding towards the thinline tele HH, have you played it though?

OH **** forgot I played a tele in jazz band last year, sounded go d awful
Last edited by jeremessmore at Dec 14, 2008,
I have an Ibanez Artcore AS103 custom. I have been going to college for music the last two years and it has worked well for all the different styles of jazz we have been playing. I am actually trying to sell mine right now since I will not be playing much jazz in the future. I am selling it for $650. New they are $800. In case you were interested...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Lespauljames
Gibson Explorer.
or epiphone explorer!

Get out.