how do you guys write down your music? not create, but write down, or do you simply just remember them.
Powertab and Sibelius, depending on the "writing stage". I input everything into PT as I'm writing, as the interface is more userfriendly. Once the work is complete, I make a "master copy" in Sibelius.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i scribble really incomplete tabs out onto scrap pieces of paper. it leaves out a lot of detail, but, if it wasnt good enough to remember, then to hell with it.
Quote by Zida
if it wasnt good enough to remember, then to hell with it.
That's ridiculous. In 9th grade algebra class (normal algebra, no rings thank God), I thought of one of the coolest riffs ever. Then I had to solve an equation on the board and by the end of the period, I had forgotten the riff. PTE and GP5 wouldn't have helped me that day, but it does show why your way of thinking is silly.
I carry around a spiral with manuscript paper in it.
If I don't have that, I just doodle a little staff and write it in.
Or, if I'm feeling particularly lazy (or if I'm writing stuff for my bassist who can only read tab) I tab it out and transcribe it later.
Last edited by smackforall at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's ridiculous. In 9th grade algebra class (normal algebra, no rings thank God), I thought of one of the coolest riffs ever. Then I had to solve an equation on the board and by the end of the period, I had forgotten the riff. PTE and GP5 wouldn't have helped me that day, but it does show why your way of thinking is silly.

yeaaa i actually know what you mean, ive forgotten dozens of cool little things ive written because of that mentality... dunno why i shared it, it really isnt a good mentality xD
I record everything I play if it's guitar based, cause getting all my dynamics and little things down on gp would leave too much room for error.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I record everything I play if it's guitar based, cause getting all my dynamics and little things down on gp would leave too much room for error.
For the guitar leads and stuff, surely, but not for the vocal melodies and progressions, right?

I use paper and guitar-pro.

On my old computer I have a good 10 megabytes of small lines and ideas waiting to be turned into songs.
i compose all my songs in guitar pro, every single track. then use reason to emulate the instruments i cant play/dont have. then use cubase to record the rest!
"We carry death out of the village!"
i write mine out paper and TuxGuitar-thats if im composing a progression or melodies

as for Improvising and theres something i did or what ever and i want to keep it i record and save it label it as "improv#what ever" so then i can go back and try and mimic what i did

Quote by bangoodcharlote

lol screw the equation i would of keep that riff playing over and over

thats happened to me before at school
i remember Reading about Both Frank Zappa and Mozart
anyway i was Amazed how they could just grab a sheet of paper and then think up a complete composition and write it down with no instruments at hand

lol i spend like 3 periods trying to think up of a piece of music
and i was like "yeah this sounds great" i thought out these melodies and even put harmonies and all that..then finally guitar class comes up and i rush to grab some music sheets grabbed about 12 of them paid $3 for them sat down and...COMPLETELY FOR GOT WHAT WHERE I WAS GOING WITH IT!

lol i was trying so hard to think of it but the more small little pieces i could remember the rest was fading and then every one playing guitar around me wasn't helping
Clasick gutar a pice of paer and a pen if thats not by the hand i try to remember it and GP5
helps sometimes to