Alright, guys. I'm working on a guitar for the old lady. She likes purple, and shiny crap. So I thought I'd do a glitter finish.

Any idea on what I could do? Also, what should I use to cover? I've sanded off the finish of this old Ibanez I had lying around, and if I'm not mistaken it's an agathis body. It's an Ibanez G10 (one of those old strat shaped things they made).

Thanks for the help guys.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
glitter finish? you might could find someone who does model cars to put some flake in some paint and get them to use that on it.

car modelers are the first other hobby i can think of that would have something similar to that.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
do a silver metallic base coat, then do some light purple coats over so the metallic shows through.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
just remember, glitter is like the herpes of the craft world. once you get that stuff on you, it never goes away.

in all seriousness though, id see if you can find a metallic purple type spray paint. i know they make them, as i used to work in a craft store and we had some. this stuff looks like it might be what you want. i honestly have no idea if that exact stuff would work, but its just sorta to show that this kinda thing is out there.
Oh good lord jof that really made me laught.
But to answer the post craft stores would prob have that type of glittery paint.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Well, I looked around in the only places one can in this town. The car places, and Home Hardware. The guys at CC said that they would only do cars, and the paint they have is expensive as hell anyway. I also had no luck at Home Hardware, so I'm gonna have to order on the net, or make my own.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
What facilities do you have available to you? (Spray gear, somewhere to do it)

What budget do you have?

How serious are you about having a good finish?

If you want a decent, sparkly as hell finish, then I recommend the following.

Strip the guitar down, seal it, prime it and lay down 2 coats (2 x 3 passes) of a suitable purple, probably metallic.

Now lay down a couple of thick coats of clear lacquer.

A soon as you have done that, blow some large Purple flakes over it until they stop sticking.

Apply more clear and more flakes till you have what you want.

Then apply lost of clear coats to bury the flakes.

Once you have sufficient build up, you can let the top coats harden fully, then wet sand it and buff it.

Obviously, you need to observe correct drying and flash times, as well as the other rules for painting.

Use whatever primer you want etc, but I only use House Of Kolor paints etc, because they are the best.

HOK Paint and lacquers are best applied with a spray gun.

To apply large flakes, mixed in with clear lacquer, will need a huge tip on the spray gun so use one of THESE or make one of your own, or just find some way to get them on without piling them on.

If you use HOK flakes, they are the same colour all of the way through, which means if you do accidently sand the corner off of one, because it is poking through the clear, it wont show up as a white speck.

This but purple!

Fender used to use pink paisley wall paper on guitars. Could you not get some glittery wrapping paper and glue it to the front of the guitar and do a small burst to cover the edges? Clear coat the whole thing
Quote by supergerbil
Fender used to use pink paisley wall paper on guitars. Could you not get some glittery wrapping paper and glue it to the front of the guitar and do a small burst to cover the edges? Clear coat the whole thing

Good GOD I hope not!...
^Why? Material finishes look great and I love original pink paisleys...
Quote by supergerbil
^Why? Material finishes look great and I love original pink paisleys...

Yeah, material may be, but you said "Glittery wrapping paper" dude, ewww!

Besides, it wont stretch like material, so want conform to curves well.