I've been playing electric for a while now, but only with a Korg PX4 & headphones. I've decided to get a combo amp in 2009- probably a Fender Hot Rod.

This, of course, means I'll also be looking for pedals that mimic those I like on my Korg. 2 I'm looking for in particular are "ringers" or "bubbles."

Ringers are great for "sci-fi" effects, whereas Bubbles creates kind of an underwater bubbling sound that breaks up your signal- ever so slightly- in a random way. (Tony Iommi once mentioned he liked bubble effects for certain textures.)

Anybody have any suggestions about which pedals might duplicate those effects?

For that matter, what are some of the better pedals out there?
I haven't heard of those effects either... but it sounds like the "bubbles" effect could be a chorus pedal and the "ringers" effect could be a phaser.
It's just a guess though.
Call me Wes.
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The ringer could be based off a Moog Ring Modulator!!! yay for me!!! and the bubbles are almost definitely chorus.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
well technically the korg px4 does have a line out (the headphone out seems to also be a line out) so you could still use it. i have some ideas as to what the others could be, but i think id rather ask if you could just look up the effect name. im looking at the specs on korgs site, and the only thing close to what you said is RING or RINGUP/RINGDOWN, which are ring modulators. if you could find the actual name of the effect, that would be insanely cooler than us guessing what bubbles means.
First of all, thank you for your responses! Now to answer your questions.

So the Korg doesn't have a Line out so that you can keep it.

It does have a line out, but I'd prefer to have a pedal to use with the amp. Korgs are nice to practice with, but it would be a pain to have to keep taking the thing on and off to adjust its settings when I don't want to use its effects. (I usually hang it off of the back of my belt when I use it, much like a wireless hookup.).

Why the HRD? What kind of music do you play?

I tried out several combos in store, and felt I wanted something that was 1) high quality and 2) not loaded down with built-in effects. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that an amp that puts its $$$ in basic circuitry is going to sound better than one that was more heavily invested in built in stuff.

In short, I guess you could say I was looking for the best clean sound I could get, so I could dirty it up myself later!

So after trying out Vox, Marshall, Line 6, Randall, Fender, and others, it just seemed to me that the Fender Hot Rod was the cleanest of the bunch.

As for what I play?

I won't lie- I have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)- so I have a small collection covering classicals, accoustic/electrics, and electrics.

My electrics are a Dean Evo Special Select, a Dean 25th Anniversary Time Capsule Cadillac (3 pickup), a Kamerer "Butterbean" single-cutaway hollowbody prototype (pictured as the "Large Single Cut Hollowbody on this page http://kamererguitars.com/electric_price.php ) and a blue Kamerer double cutaway hollowbody similar to this one ( http://kamererguitars.com/detail.php?recordID=77 ).

On them, I play a mixed bag of classical, jazz, blues, classic rock (from surf/spy on up to the '70's), metal, pop and prog. In short, a little bit of everything.

However, a little more than half of what I play is filtered through my love of Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning (NST)- C/G/D/A/E/G. The lower 4 strings are tuned like a Cello- my first instrument, so its a bit more intuitive to me than standard guitar tuning. In addition, I've found many of the chord shapes are easier to deal with. The tuning's range means I can hit most of the same lows as the guys in the modern metal bands while simultaneously hitting nearly mandolin-esque highs. Its a lot of fun, a very flexible tuning.

(For the record, I've had no instruction in NST, its all been self-discovery.)

And just so you don't think I'm bragging, my biggest fans have 4 feet and furry tails- my 2 dogs.

Re: Ringer

On both of my Korgs, its just a preset called "RINGER." There is also an effect parameter called RING which "produces bell-like sounds" according to the owner's manual. RINGUP/RINGDOWN are apparently modified versions of RING which responds to picking strength.

It sounds like a Ring modulator would be what I'm looking for- is Moog the only/best manufacturer?

Re: Bubble

On both of my Korgs, its just a preset called "BUBBLE." Unlike Ringer, there is no additional info as to what effects might be involved.

When I tried out my Google-Fu after posting this query, the closest I came up with is:
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus ( http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/electro_harmonix.html )
The Electro-Harmonix Small Clone is an analog chorus effect for electric guitar. It's the same model as used by Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. It has a very distinctive tone and sound. It's very simple to use but has a very undeniable sound. The single chorus rate knob controls the speed of the chorus effect. It varies from slow warm washes to fast underwater bubble like sounds. It also has a depth switch that adds more chorus effect. It produces doubling, chiming and 12 string type of sounds as well as Leslie-type of sounds. It has a solid nickel case and requires a 9VDC battery or AC wall wart to operate.

(emphasis mine)

I have no idea what else "bubbles" might be called.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2008,
well if the preset is called RING, then its a ringmodulator. i still have no idea why they would call something bubbles though. it sounds like its a chorus though. the korg site seems like it has chorus settings though, so i dont know why yours would call it bubble. though it could be a subtle phaser, which is a more swooshing sound, and some phasers do break up slightly if you push them. unless its a combination of effects to get that sound, which i wouldnt count out.

i would go try out a couple chorus pedals like the small clone and the ehx clone theory, as well as the boss chorus pedals to see if they get the sound you are looking for. also check out the mxr phase 90, its one of those phasers that can be kinda sublte and break up a bit.

i still have no idea why they would call something bubbles

Because it really does sound a lot like a bunch of bubbles traveling through a liquid- there's a "fizz" or burble to it.

The Korgs do have a setting called "CHORUS" that is very different from "BUBBLE."

The best way I can describe the sound I get on Korg's "BUBBLE" setting is that it is similar to the twittering tail end of Black Sabbath's instrumental, E5150, which leads into the song Mob Rules. However, despite Iommi's suggestion that he uses it, I think that the example in that instance is from Geoff Nicholls' Keyboards. There is a similar but more subtle pulsation in the body of the song that could be use of that effect- far more subtle than I'm aiming for.

I've heard similar effects with the lead-in and incidental sound effects from both Pop-Up Video (an old TV video shows that shows up on VH-1 occasionally) and Liquid Television (an old animation show from MTV).
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2008,
Not usually one for thread necromancy, but I thought this update kinda mattered.

Good News: In the process of trying out some amps at my FLMS, I played the "BUBBLE" setting for the guy who was helping me. As it turned out, he recognized the effect, and will be helping me find that sound.

Bad News: its not a single effect, but a combination of a couple of pedals (one of which is a chorus).

When I finish paying off my Fender HRD, I'll get to purchasing the effects in question and post the combo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!