i've been hesitant to buy an OD pedal because i thought they were only for tube amps. i've read some reviews that seem to say otherwise. are they worth using with a solid state (not modeling) amp? please don't turn this into a SS versus tube thread
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Yes it's fine. An overdrive pedal does NOT overdrive your amp if that's what you were thinking. It simply emulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp. It won't sound the same as running it into a different amp (tube or not) but that does not mean it will sound bad at all. What amp do you have?
i have a Randall RG 75 watt with a Celestion 12.. it sounds great, but as with any solid state, i would like to get a warmer thicker tone out of it. a new amp is not really an option right now, and i'm pretty pleased with the way it sounds already but always looking to experiment with tone
Also, when boosting an amps gain channel with an overdrive pedal all you are doing is adding output to the preamp, increasing overall output, sustain and adding some character from the pedal. It works on both tube a SS amps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
thank you both for the info
OD on SS will sound good. now using it on amp OD, i'm not sure, i haven't tried that. but on SS clean, it should sound nice and warm and very useable!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
what if i put my amp's overdrive/lead channel on a low gain setting and use the pedal? will it be a disaster? or if i have to use it on the clean setting, will pairing it with an EQ pedal allow me to push it into more brutal tones? i'm considering a Boss SD-1 or Bad Monkey.. it's gonna be a gift, so i have a certain price limit.
Quote by lowtek
what if i put my amp's overdrive/lead channel on a low gain setting and use the pedal? will it be a disaster? or if i have to use it on the clean setting, will pairing it with an EQ pedal allow me to push it into more brutal tones? i'm considering a Boss SD-1 or Bad Monkey.. it's gonna be a gift, so i have a certain price limit.

Bad Monkey > SD-1 first of all.

Second, depending on how much gain the OD pedal puts out and how it's EQ'd it could sound really good or really bad. It will probably be pretty noisy though.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
get the bad monkey, way better. i loved mine.

and if you run it on a lower gain, i think it could sound good. but i'm not totally sure, just try it and see what happens. and an EQ won't make your tone brutal, but it can clear it up a LOT, and emphasize certain frequencies. making your tone much more personal and clear. making a tone more brutal would come from fattening it up with an OD (works well on tube amps) or pushing more gain.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i was messing around with an EMG 81 equipped LTD and a Raven SS amp with the MXR Wylde OD, and was able to get some really nice thick tones out of it, even combined with the amps distortion... it was nowhere near the best, but i think it sounded much better than other options... My thoughts would be to get a nice od that you will keep should you go to a tube amp where it will be even more helpful....

jsut dont buy it thinking you will make a bad amp sound like a ____
i mostly play metal.. and i know that a lot of you tone aficionados probably scoff at metal, and therefore will lose interest in my thread here, but i still like to be able to dial in a variety of tones. right now i am bypassing the preamp on my randall using a behringer v-amp2, which is perfect for practicing at low levels and getting a huge variety of tones. my randall on it's own sounds good, but i am hoping an OD will allow me to have more tonal control/variety than what i can do with the on-board stuff, and will hopefully sound more organic than the vamp. in defense of the v-amp2, it sounds so much better than the yamaha magicstomp i used to own or the digitech valve fx rack unit that my buddy has. anyway, the quest for tone never seems to end.. i guess that's what keeps this stuff interesting.
Quote by lowtek
i mostly play metal.. and i know that a lot of you tone aficionados probably scoff at metal, and therefore will lose interest in my thread here, but i still like to be able to dial in a variety of tones. right now i am bypassing the preamp on my randall using a behringer v-amp2, which is perfect for practicing at low levels and getting a huge variety of tones. my randall on it's own sounds good, but i am hoping an OD will allow me to have more tonal control/variety than what i can do with the on-board stuff, and will hopefully sound more organic than the vamp. in defense of the v-amp2, it sounds so much better than the yamaha magicstomp i used to own or the digitech valve fx rack unit that my buddy has. anyway, the quest for tone never seems to end.. i guess that's what keeps this stuff interesting.

i use a similiar set up skipping the preamp, i use a metal muff with an MXR 10-band eq afterwards to tighten it up... in that case, I would use a nice distortion with an EQ after it... try it out at a store
Quote by orionz06
jsut dont buy it thinking you will make a bad amp sound like a ____
not at all.. as i said, i like the sounds i get from my randall. i'm just looking to expand my tonal range and to thicken up the sound, plus i've got an EQ and a noise suppressor to help. i've given up on distortion pedals, i need something that is more transparent (not completely, but more) to work with.
I used to combine a Blues OD on my BOSS ME30 with a Behringer Distortion pedal... I used to get a great tone out of it, which was weird because the Behringer pedal sucked on its own, but it was pretty heavy, yet clear.

Now I use a BOSS SD1 through an SS and it sounds fine through both the clean channel and as a boost.
thank you all