I play an Ibanez RG321, need to ditch the stock p-ups.

I play mostly metal (More of a Metallica sound, rather than down tuned stuff) classic rock (<3 Zep) and clean stuff.

I prefer a warmer clean tone over a treble-y tone.

I've heard good things about DiMarzio D-Activators, would a set of these be good?

Also, I would prefer passive over active.

Input appreciated.
Last edited by fartripper67 at Dec 13, 2008,
I would take DiMarzio Super Distortions for that kind of stuff over the D-Activators simply because the D-Activators are SOO damn hot IMHO.

Super distortions clean up well too, but I don't know about the D-Activators in that department.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
DiMarzio PAF Pros are great pickups, but the real question is what amp are you using?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
DiMarzio PAF Pros are great pickups, but the real question is what amp are you using?

You started off well, and ended...not-so-well.

I know that you're going to tell him that his amp matters more than his pickups when it comes to his tone, but he's not asking for a new amp.

He's asking for new pickups for whatever reason (too muddy, can't get any EQ setting to sound good, whatever). I replaced the pickups on my Kramer Striker because the stock rails pickups were just too muddy on any amp that I tried them all, and from what I've read, the stock Ibanez pickups are pretty similar in that regard.

I'm sorry that I'm kind of ranting on you, but I'm really getting sick of UG not answering peoples' questions, and telling them that they have to change something they might not want to change on their rig.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
You started off well, and ended...not-so-well.

I know that you're going to tell him that his amp matters more than his pickups when it comes to his tone, but he's not asking for a new amp.

He's asking for new pickups for whatever reason (too muddy, can't get any EQ setting to sound good, whatever). I replaced the pickups on my Kramer Striker because the stock rails pickups were just too muddy on any amp that I tried them all, and from what I've read, the stock Ibanez pickups are pretty similar in that regard.

I'm sorry that I'm kind of ranting on you, but I'm really getting sick of UG not answering peoples' questions, and telling them that they have to change something they might not want to change on their rig.

Yeah, but there's no sense in changing pickups when you're using a Spider or something. Just covering bases, man.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Yeah, but there's no sense in changing pickups when you're using a Spider or something. Just covering bases, man.

I gotcha, it's just that I've seen so many of these pickup threads turn into "GET THIS AMP NAO OR BE BAD FOEVA LOLWUT", it's disgusting.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by fartripper67
Amp is an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 bass amp.

You don't need a pickup change if you are using a bass amp as a guitar amp.

Get a new amp.

/thread.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I gotcha, it's just that I've seen so many of these pickup threads turn into "GET THIS AMP NAO OR BE BAD FOEVA LOLWUT", it's disgusting.

Not really. It's a pretty big deal. A lot of people change their pickups hoping for a big change, when in fact, the weak link in their chain is their amp. He's using a bass amp for his guitar - and he's wondering why he doesn't like his tone?

And for the record, I think Super Distortions aren't that great for modern metal or thrash metal. I'd use them for hair metal and 80's metal stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not really. It's a pretty big deal. A lot of people change their pickups hoping for a big change, when in fact, the weak link in their chain is their amp. He's using a bass amp for his guitar - and he's wondering why he doesn't like his tone?

And for the record, I think Super Distortions aren't that great for modern metal or thrash metal. I'd use them for hair metal and 80's metal stuff.

This is irrelevant, my best friend uses a bass amp with an American Fender Strat loaded with Hotrails, and he loves his tone. And for the record, TS never said he didn't like his tone, he just said he needed to ditch the stock pickups.

Believe me, I know the amp is most often the weak link in the chain - but I do know from experience that the amp alone will only solve so much.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
ya know, i had a line 6 uber metal hooked up to an ampeg ba-115, and my tone kicked ass!! also the amp can get you great cleans so give the guy a break. anyway, the seymour duncan jb/59 combo will do good for pretty much any type of music, especially w/ coil taps
Quote by Idiosyncracy
This is irrelevant, my best friend uses a bass amp with an American Fender Strat loaded with Hotrails, and he loves his tone.

Just because your friends like his tone doesn't make it irrelevant.

Quote by Idiosyncracy
And for the record, TS never said he didn't like his tone, he just said he needed to ditch the stock pickups.

Why would he want to change his pickups if he liked his tone?

Quote by Idiosyncracy
Believe me, I know the amp is most often the weak link in the chain - but I do know from experience that the amp alone will only solve so much.

And in my experience, changing pickups is for tweaking your tone. It doesn't radically change it, and it doesn't always make a significant difference.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
This is irrelevant, my best friend uses a bass amp with an American Fender Strat loaded with Hotrails, and he loves his tone. And for the record, TS never said he didn't like his tone, he just said he needed to ditch the stock pickups.

Well why change the pickups? Because he wants to? That is dumb. There must be a reason he wants to change his pickups, and that is probably because he thinks that pickups will help his tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
He's using a bass amp for his guitar - and he's wondering why he doesn't like his tone?

And how many guitarists use a Fender Bassman, or even an ampeg? Guitarists using bass amps aren't nearly as uncommon as you might thing, and the few I've plugged my guitar into sounded pretty damn good.
Quote by icronic
And how many guitarists use a Fender Bassman, or even an ampeg? Guitarists using bass amps aren't nearly as uncommon as you might thing, and the few I've plugged my guitar into sounded pretty damn good.

How many metal guitarists use bass amps for all their sound?

Bassmans are more suited for guitar, they were pretty much flawed bass amps.

Most of the ampegs guitar players use are guitar amps. I've never heard of a guitarist using an ampeg bass amp for guitar, but I could be wrong.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Gibson burstbucker pro, great for any style, has great cleans and nice distortion and reduced feedback, too much distortion doesn't sound that great in my opinion anyways.
Quote by icronic
I know what a Bassman was, and instantly knew that your going to be your next point.
But a Bassman is a very different beast compared to using a SS Ashdown amp...

Kev covered it pretty well, too.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I know what a Bassman was, and instantly knew that your going to be your next point.
But a Bassman is a very different beast compared to using a SS Ashdown amp...

Kev covered it pretty well, too.

I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Idiosyncracy

i'm 50:50 on this... it really depends on how bad the stock pickups are (ibanez stock pickups are pretty crappy, granted), and how bad the amp is.

in this case, both are pretty bad.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
ya know, i had a line 6 uber metal hooked up to an ampeg ba-115, and my tone kicked ass!! also the amp can get you great cleans so give the guy a break. anyway, the seymour duncan jb/59 combo will do good for pretty much any type of music, especially w/ coil taps

Did anybody else notice this?

Bass amps aren't necessarily bad for guitar, but you seriously need something different if you're playing metal. A bass amp can fake some stuff, but most definitely not metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments