Page 1 of 2
I was looking at a Blues Jr, but apparently that doesn't have enough headroom to be heard over a band, so what are my options?
Looking for a bluesy, Mayer-ish tone.
around $400.
I'd look into a used Fender HRD.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you're going for a bluesy tone then a BJr has enough power if you crank it up a bit. You just won't get crystal clear cleans.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
at $400, you'll have to go used no matter what right?

The HRD is hella loud, so gigging with it is no problem. You might end up being too loud. I'm not an expert in blues but it may come down to what type of blues music and how loud your band/drummer is? And the venue size etc etc.
the bjr doesnt have enough headroom?
If your drummer is louder than the bjr's headroom he is insanely loud. really though, even if this is the case, why do you need crystal clear cleans for blues? Go try one out and i bet youll find that the 15 watts are MORE than enough for getting cleans way over you drummer. I get near cleans with my 5watt head over our drummer. Hes not that loud, but really, 15 watts, esp from a very cleanish amp like the fender, youll get loads of headroom.
Whoever told you 15 watts aint enough, do not know what theyre talking about

And for the blues junior, its a great amp. really great for the price. Go try it out.
AND beware of the hot rod. the 40 watts are really too loud to be played at full throttle in most contexts. You really want that powertube saturation for blues
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
blues deluxe has craploads of headroom

i struggle to keep up with a 300w bass amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
a guy i used to jam with had a blues JR, his amp kept up VERY well with the drummer and my 400 watt bass halfstack.

i wasn't cranking my amp by any means, but yea it all sounded good.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i played a pretty large gig with a big band (full horn section and everything) last week with my blues junior, i had the master on about 5 and i couldn´t crank it anymore as i would have drowned all the others....
the BJ is a great amp, really great for blues...i just think i´ll swap my speaker and it will be perfect!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Got a blues Jr. and its insanely loud, you can get nice cleans but I'm not really into that so I put the boost on at all times to get a little dirtier clean (sorta live chili peppers)....with a band though, if you put the master all the way up you'll never get the volume past 4 (which is the way to do cleans...vice versa for dirty)...blues deluxe was a little too loud, if you put it on 1 your blown away, but still a great amp
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
The Fender Blues Junior is incredibly loud for its size. In a bedroom/studio setting, I rarely put it past 3 on Master when cranking the volume. My only concern would be if you're trying to get clean sounds above a drummer. I would say that putting the master on 12 and the volume on 4-5 would still produce nice cleans at a very high volume, more than likely high enough to be heard well over the drummer.
You could probably make the Blues jr. just about perfect with a replacement for a more efficient speaker - it's pretty loud as is; i've never needed more than 15w but the speaker would seal the deal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Maybe some different tubes to give it a little more hr. My friend used my 30w tube in a gig (I drummed) and I lay into the kit pretty hard. He kept it at maybe 4-5. With some upgrades you should be able to keep the amp fairly clean, if not completely
Quote by Highwaytohell
Blues Jr. or a used Peavey Classic 30

+1 the used classic 30 is a good option
Quote by henis
+1 the used classic 30 is a good option

Would I be better off with an upgraded speaker and tubes on a BJ or a stock Classic 30?
Both will be great but are a little different. The BJ is American voiced and has a lot less gain. The Classic 30 has a lot more gain and is very British voiced. The Blues Junior will get a more classic blues tone, especially when you crank it, you'll get a nice gritty slightly dirty tone. It's all preference
+1 for the Classic 30. Good bit more headroom. British design yields a thicker clean tone as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by cratskomodo
What effect would upgrading to a 60W speaker do?

More headroom, so the speaker doesn't break up as soon on the volume dial.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by cratskomodo
What effect would upgrading to a 60W speaker do?
It's not the wattage rating, it's the sensitivity you want to look at. EG my G12H has 100db sensitivity and 30w power handling, whereas the Greenback has 25w and 96db sensitivity and the Alnico Blue has 15w and 100db sensitivity. Look for something 100db if you want a noticeable volume increase.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well I should ask, which speaker and which new set of tubes would increase the headroom on a Blues jr?
Tubes won't do much, having them modded for proper bias will. Any speaker with 100db sensitivity like carrot said.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Any 12" 100db speakers you'd like to recommend?
All the Jensen's and Celestion's I've looked at so far are like 96 and 97...

EDIT: Is there a 100db speaker that's cheaper than the Celestion Vintage 30?
Last edited by cratskomodo at Dec 15, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Blues Jr. or a used Peavey Classic 30

For Blues, the Blues Jr kills the Classic 30.
Especially if we're talking cleans.

The Jr has more than enough headroom, I have a loud as hell drummer and I still get over him.

You might not be able to get 100% crystal clear cleans, but why would you want that for blues, anyways?
Quote by cratskomodo
Any 12" 100db speakers you'd like to recommend?
All the Jensen's and Celestion's I've looked at so far are like 96 and 97...

EDIT: Is there a 100db speaker that's cheaper than the Celestion Vintage 30?

free bump

^and some blues music has cleans
I don't know why people are suggesting the classic 30. It's a great Blues amp true, but there's absolutely no way that it'll stay clean to be heard over a drummer unless you've got it mic'd. It starts breaking up at 9:00 and anything past about 10:30 or 11 and you're going to be completely overdriven, and not in all that pleasant of a way. The Classic 30's drive channel is where the amp really shines.

Go with the Blues Jr.
Hmm, well I still think I'm going with the Blues Jr, but just in case I want options for a speaker upgrade if I feel i need more headroom.
Blues Junior sounds freaking brilliant for the price but I did find it a bit quiet.
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
Blues Jr is fine for gigging with the blues deluxe is just way too loud for most scenarios especially if you want the power tubes to saturate
Stick with the Blues Jr.
It's plenty loud, has great blues tone, and unbelievable reverb.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
if your going for a mayer like tone, a used blues deluxe or HRD will work better IMO. the blues jr is a great amp, but i have never been able to get a mayer like tone from it. (yes, im aware that he has actually played through that amp before. i should add he has used an HRD too.) its just not really voiced like most of the amps mayer uses, partly due to the power tubes.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
if your going for a mayer like tone, a used blues deluxe or HRD will work better IMO. the blues jr is a great amp, but i have never been able to get a mayer like tone from it. (yes, im aware that he has actually played through that amp before. i should add he has used an HRD too.) its just not really voiced like most of the amps mayer uses, partly due to the power tubes.

Would changing the power tubes make a difference?
Quote by cratskomodo
Would changing the power tubes make a difference?

it would need to be modded to receive the different type of power tubes. blues jr uses EL84s, while the others use very different type, the 6l6.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Ah, would it be worth it to mod a Blues Jr to receive 6L6's, or should i just get a Hot Rod Deluxe?
Page 1 of 2