Page 1 of 2
I was listening to this kid on youtube's "cover" of Metro Station's "Shake It". *throws up flame shield* and I thought he sounded pretty good.

Then I noticed his amp. it was a line 6 Spider III 75 watt.

It made my ValveKing sound like utter ****.

my question is: How is his less-than stellar SS sound better than my OK tube?

I'm thinking it's the VK's tubes and speaker, since I've heard they're ****.
care to post a link to the video ?

even though metro station can hardly be considered a band, i'd like to hear the tone.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
u will get two answers for this:
1. u suck at EQing
or
2. maybe Spiders aren't that bad as everyone makes them

as a proud Spider owner, i'd go with #2
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
post the link
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
meh, the backing track is hiding most of his tone. it's not the worst tone i've ever heard but definitely sounds pretty stale and over processed.
a lot of your tone comes from your fingers. meaning slash will still sound like slash on a first act guitar, hendrix on a squier, etc. maybe try to record yourself playing it so we could hear the difference?
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by kasso
a lot of your tone comes from your fingers. meaning slash will still sound like slash on a first act guitar, hendrix on a squier, etc. maybe try to record yourself playing it so we could hear the difference?

It will be done as soon as it's morning. It's rather late where I'm at now and my mom's asleep.

It will be done. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the replies by the way.
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
That song makes me want to shoot myself in the thigh to distract myself from listening.

Oprah calls that empowerment...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
That song makes me want to shoot myself in the thigh to distract myself from listening.

why, its not that bad. in fact its quite catchy.
Quote by Sakattack75
1. u suck at EQing
or

Ha.....I would def say its #1...lol
i go for the 2nd one. i have the spider 75 watt as well and it does come in handy if you set up the eq right on it. i do admit the factory presets are a little dodgy from time to time.
It's probably because he's not playing loud. I'm going to save myself from hearing the song, but the Spider DOES sound good when its not turned up. It's when you play it past halfway on the master volume it sounds like dick.
Last edited by insanitybreed at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by insanitybreed
It's probably because he's not playing loud. I'm going to save myself from hearing the song, but the Spider DOES sound good when its not turned up. It's when you play it past halfway on the master volume it sounds like dick.

Well, that's all Solid State amps really.

Either way, that tone isn't that amazing. Sounds very compressed and lacks mid presence. If your tone is worse than that then I pity you, and get an EQ.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
His tone was pretty plain if you ask me, especially when he was playing the melody part.

You just need to EQ your Valveking better, when I got my Valveking I was wondering the same thing but once I EQed it well, it sounded great!
Quote by Sakattack75
1. u suck at EQing
or

Well you got lucky my bands guitarist has had 4 spider amps and all blew-up or just died one day 2 of those during shows. Yeah I'm never touching a spider.

Edit: I watched that video and looked at the coments......I laughted so hard when I say the one saying "Your so good".....aparently person has never seen a person play a real guitar and found power chords blow their minds.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Dec 14, 2008,
The Spider has ONE good amp sim and that is the INSANE channel. This sounds very much like it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by kasso

this is utter bull****. Tone comes from equipment, stop being all cliche.

If tone came from fingers we'd all be playing 99 dollar squier bullets and cheap behringer 120 watt SS combos.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by MrFlibble

Either way, that tone isn't that amazing. Sounds very compressed and lacks mid presence. If your tone is worse than that then I pity you, and get an EQ.

I'm not saying that the kid's tone is Jesus or anything, but it definately sounds better than mine. I'm going to give the Fish'N'Chips a whirl and see if it works.
Quote by hminh87
The Spider has ONE good amp sim and that is the INSANE channel. This sounds very much like it.

The crunch channel is much better than the metal and insane channels.

TS, why don't you just play instead of fiddling with your knobs all the time? Do you need some tips on EQing? Keep your knobs in the middle and cut/boost whatever frequencies you need?

Too much bass? Cut the bass.
Not enough mids? Add mids.
Not enough treble? add treble.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The crunch channel is much better than the metal and insane channels.

I do have a line 6 spider III 75, and i do plan to get a new amp in the near future because i actually want to utilize pedals, but there are a few good metal presets that i love. I dunno what band this one is but its SOI, and also the Slipknot preset is pretty sweet. Other than that, i hate the thing.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by l3p4rd

If tone came from fingers we'd all be playing 99 dollar squier bullets and cheap behringer 120 watt SS combos.

No.some tone does come from fingers. But good equipment is still gonna sound better than crap.

If the player doesnt make a difference in tone then why can two people pick up the same guitar played through the same amp with the same settings and tone be different? It may not be a night and day difference but the difference is there
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do you need some tips on EQing? Keep your knobs in the middle and cut/boost whatever frequencies you need?

Too much bass? Cut the bass.
Not enough mids? Add mids.
Not enough treble? add treble.

It's not necessarily a matter of EQing. I just think my tone sounds like absolute ****. Like it's super muddy. That's why I was blaming the speaker/tubes.
Quote by melton100
No.some tone does come from fingers. But good equipment is still gonna sound better than crap.

If the player doesnt make a difference in tone then why can two people pick up the same guitar played through the same amp with the same settings and tone be different? It may not be a night and day difference but the difference is there

This.

Tone is a mixture of equipment, but also fingers. People sound like themselves, even on different equipment, due to they're playing style. By this I mean, pick angle/attack, finger pressure, finger movement, 'habits' that are baked into their subconscious.

However, if you go deep, I think you could even determine tone by the amount of fat on said player's tummy or the shoes with which they are standing on the floor, which could be wood or stone. Just a few of many examples.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
It's not necessarily a matter of EQing. I just think my tone sounds like absolute ****. Like it's super muddy. That's why I was blaming the speaker/tubes.

isn't the valveking notorious for muddy speakers ? not sure how true that is but it seems like everyone on here with a valveking has swapped/wants to swap out the stock speaker.
Quote by l3p4rd

Nope, there was a video of Satch playing a cheap guitar through a cheap amp and he sounded surprisingly good. I'll try and find it.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Nope, there was a video of Satch playing a cheap guitar through a cheap amp and he sounded surprisingly good. I'll try and find it.

i remember that video, he was playing surfing with the alien on a cheap strat copy, right ?
yeah good stuff isn't going to make you better at guitar
i mean the kid is playing the song pretty solidly... eh. (i hate this song and this band but... you know)
umm he obviously tweaked his amp to get a good setting... which sounds ok quiet, i mean i'm sure it sounds a lot worse when it's cranked.

just... tweak your knobs, lol
Quote by mikeyElite
meh, the backing track is hiding most of his tone. it's not the worst tone i've ever heard but definitely sounds pretty stale and over processed.

This.

Seriously, you can barely make out what the guy's tone is like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mikeyElite

Yeah, this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by mikeyElite
i remember that video, he was playing surfing with the alien on a cheap strat copy, right ?

I've seen that video too. He still sounded like himself so that proves the point.

TS, from that youtube video you linked, the backing track made it almost impossible to discern the guy's tone and it sounded compressed anyway. Meh..
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
People dont seem to get this. Tone comes from your fingers, ever more so than the amp. If you dont have good technique, you'll sound even worse on a really nice amp. If you have a good technique, you'll sound good on any amp. If Eddie Van Halen and the kid in the video trade amps, is Eddie gonna sound bad, or even like the kid in the video? No. He's still going to sound unmistakeablt like Eddie Van Halen. Same with the kid, give him a modded out Marshall stack and he's still not going to sound much better than he is.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by Unherolike
Well you got lucky my bands guitarist has had 4 spider amps and all blew-up or just died one day 2 of those during shows. Yeah I'm never touching a spider.

Edit: I watched that video and looked at the coments......I laughted so hard when I say the one saying "Your so good".....aparently person has never seen a person play a real guitar and found power chords blow their minds.

why on earth would be buy three more after the first one blew up then continue to buy them after the others?
thats absolutely ridiculous
but off topic
he probably just found a good setting or he's being drowned out by the song. i cant watch that, im listening to between the buried and me. it would cause me to go into shock.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
hate that song.. it was my exes ringback tone, she actually tried to kill me when i cheated on her so every time i hear it i remember her.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
??
That was good tone?

??
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Am I the only one that defines style and tone under two different classes? A good clean style can make a bad tone sound passable enough, but the sustain and growl of the distortion will still suck. That sustain is what I call the tone.
Page 1 of 2