so I wanted to play She Talks to Angels the other day. and read on a tab that you play in open e tuning. So I go to tune up G D and A strings. and as soon as I do I realize that its too much stress on the neck and I remember hearing that your not supposed to tune up a guitar becuase it puts to much stress on the neck. So I tune it back down and now when I play it doesn't sound as crisp. the guitar sounds off. I googled it and found out I could just tune down to open D and put a capo on 2nd fret. But what should I do now? cuz the neck is stretched out and I feel like an idiot cuz I paid like $600 for this guitar.
I have a Washburn 125th Edition Acoustic Guitar by the way. I love it and it sounds amazing. but since I tuned it up I can tell a difference in the sound quality. Is their a way I can fix this or is it F%#^ now.?
Natural humidity will eventually get it back to shape I think. Wood changes shape constantly depending on humidity and temperature especially. Over time it should go back to how it was, maybe not exact, but should. You could try tuning it half step down to let it bend back to how it was or something.

Edit: Could also put some lighter strings on for a while while it bends back to shape.
Your guitar is absolutely fine. Acoustic guitar necks are much stronger than you would imagine. Open E won't screw up your guitar that easily.

What's probably causing the sound to be less crisp is that your strings have stretched more than they normally would in standard tuning. Whenever I tune my guitar to different tunings than standard and then bring it back, it always sounds a little different than if I had just kept it in standard the whole time.

Don't worry about the neck. The truss rod is designed to handle that extra amount of tension.

Also, using open D and using a capo usually won't sound as good as open E. The sound won't be as clear as open E. At least that's how it is on my guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
wouldn't the bridge rip off before the tension messed up the neck?
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
hey thanks guys. I was just playing and I noticed that it won't stay in tune. I will play for awhile and have to retune it because the notes will be flat. Also, I'm getting some buzzing when playin on frets 1-3 on the low strings. Is this caused by the stretching of the strings or is the neck messed up? thanks
That song is actually pretty easy to play in Standard tuning as well. The harmonic hits are difficult to do though.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
More and more it sounds like its because your strings are stretched. I get some buzzing on my lower strings at around the 5th or 6th fret and stuff when i use a capo usually on the 2nd or 3rd (Approx), which is from having the strings on there for like... 5 months or something. I should probably change them soon >_>
Trust me. The neck won't be messed up that easily. It's more likely to be the strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.