Well, I'm am writing/arranging a guitar and bass jazz/metal (TSO) Christmas album. I'm currently working on a song, and can't get a resolution just right. It's got a jazz guitar rhythm, a lead guitar, and bass. The chord progression goes like this:
|Fmaj7|C13b9|Fmaj|C13b9 F#dim7|(phrase)|Fmaj9|etc|(chord changes)
The last measure of the lead/melody plays a C, C#, then begins the next measure with an E.

I THINK I'm happy with the F#dim7, but I'm not 100% sure. Can you guys think of any other chords that would resolve well to the Fmaj9? Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Dec 14, 2008,
The more I listen to it, the more I like the F#. It's more the rhythm that's killing me now. It's in 3/4 time (yes, I know time signatures aren't fractions!) and I want it to end with 2 dotted quarter notes. But for some reason, it makes the two eighth notes afterward sound rushed. I'm not sure why (it may just be power tab editor though.)

Edit: Wow, I never noticed that dimished 7ths were the same no matter how they were inverted. I new that augmented chords were, but not these. Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Dec 14, 2008,
PTE clips the end of everything it plays, but play the piece and see how it sounds. Change the rhythm if you have to. It's okay to do that; ask Dream Theater.