Page 1 of 2
After looking at some pictures and videos of my band, we generally sound pretty good and tight, but our appearance just doesnt look that great. Now before I start, dont get the idea that we are some preppy little pop band going for a certain image and putting looks b4 music. we generally wear jeans and a tshirt, and this usually works for your general bar room gigs. but for larger venues and nightclubs, I think we would get a better response if we wore something a little different, maybe not as sloppy. Is this a good idea, and what are some general things that we should look for as far as this?
Quote by Shinsen88
What kind of music do you play?

This.

If you are playing jazz you will look like a complete idiot coming on stage wearing corpse paint. The story is slightly different if you are in a black metal band.

Edit: I assume it's some kind of rock. Depends on your target audience really, which will vary according to what kind of rock you are playing.
Just pick a certain concept, i generally where jeans, or these awesome sweat pants i bought, and just a t-shirt, just have fun with it, do what you want, and if the audience see's that your having fun and just joking around it might make them like you more.

wear a bathing suit and water wingies, hell what ever you want to do.
Quote by Regression
This.

If you are playing jazz you will look like a complete idiot coming on stage wearing corpse paint. The story is slightly different if you are in a black metal band.

Edit: I assume it's some kind of rock. Depends on your target audience really, which will vary according to what kind of rock you are playing.

our covers are any kind of rock ranging from bob seger to a7x. our originals are basically alternative, kind of like linkin park i guess
http://www.myspace.com/burningdownoceans
Just do what feels natural. This is not the type of stuff that forum input is good for.
Make sure everyone has a diffrent style that reflects their personal style, and make that this style is appropriate to the music you're playing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I've taken some s*** for this in the past, but image is important, and can often be the difference between being weekend warriors and moving up the post to a successful, steadily gigging band.

That said, this isn't a fashion forum. Your best bet is to look at well-known bands that you like and cover, and note what they wear, from head to toe. Don't copy them by rote, but take note of how their dress is slightly interchangeable, even if they all have their own personalities, as well as their genre. Then act according to your genre and what's comfortable for you to wear.

Jimi Hendrix was one of the most flamboyant stage dressers ever, but it was his personality: it fit his psychedelic/breaking down doors rock style in the '60s, and he was comfortable being himself when he wore it, so it worked for him. Having a stage "costume" makes your band more recognizable. Slash always wears a top hat, ZZ Top (except the drummer) have long beards, MCR (go ahead and flame, but the example stands) wear black uniforms. People remember and identify bands this way. But if it wasn't who they were, no one would care either way. Keep that in mind.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
i'd say just wear something similar, like my band all wears black t shirts. Then just rock the **** out.. appearance isn't what you wear, it's how you move on stage.

then again, i'm in a punk band, so we don't really care about anything!
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
gas station attendant outfits. blue dickies pants and blue dickies button up shirts. have everybodys nametag be the name of the band.
**** image, be yourselves and let the music speak for you. it's cleche but ****ing true. i've seen one too many bands go down cuz they were more concerned with "image" than music.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by zipper-mouth
**** image, be yourselves and let the music speak for you. it's cleche but ****ing true. i've seen one too many bands go down cuz they were more concerned with "image" than music.

i guess u didnt even read the second sentence in the original post
Quote by guns_rosesldb
our covers are any kind of rock ranging from bob seger to a7x. our originals are basically alternative, kind of like linkin park i guess
http://www.myspace.com/burningdownoceans

my band personally do not have a unified image but we dont have one guy dressing in a suit and another looking like gene simmons.

our covers are right along with you however our originals are a little more bluesy and most of us just have a blue collar image thing going on, however there is way to look decadent without looking sloppy which is what Guns n Roses did all those years and its kinda the look we have
Image is vital if you want to take it up a notch. It needs to be stressed that music is a business, and yes, image is another way to sell more product. Still, it should be an extension of your bands personality, and not forced. A good image seems like it's not an actual image (unless you go over the top with it, like KISS or the Residents).
So just think to yourself 'what do I want to look like, and what does my music make me feel like?'Your image should be an amalgamation of the answers to those 2 questions.
It all depends on how you want to come across on stage and how much you want to get noticed.

There's the 'It's all about the music' jeans and t-shirt approach, which can either be worn in a unifying way (all the same colour jeans and t-shirts) or in a more individualistic way. To many people, the unified way will at least look more professional but to others a more individualistic approach would create more scope.
This of course goes the same for a more flashy look, the latest fashion in whatever genre you're involved in, you can either be unified or individualistic, but to be individualistic in many genres can be difficult. If every member of a metal band for instance individualy decide to wear black, they'll still look unified. So in order to be uniquely individual, you will often have to wear clothes from outside the fashion circles within the genre you are a part of.

'Entertainment' is the name of the business we are in, and it follows that a visual spectacle, such as in the form of Kiss or Slipknot is all part of the entertainment and simply adds to the gig. But it takes a cirtain type of person to pull that off correctly. You need to have a very outgoing personality to feel comfortable dressing like that, and that really is the most important thing about what to wear, you must be comfortable with it or it will affect your performance.
Cover all your bases and pick up some tuxedo t-shirts. Your welcome.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by zipper-mouth

Completely disagree. Your image has an important part as who you are as a band and as a person. Let the music speak the emotions, but you gotta let your image speak about your individuality. Your image can speak loads to people that have never even heard you play before and give them a clue about what they are in for, especially bands that are unknown.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

were old school **it like a loose, white leather wastecoat with a giant ****ing v cut and big collar lol
Life is like a box of choclates, ya' never know whats coming next.
Quote by STPilots17
Completely disagree. Your image has an important part as who you are as a band and as a person. Let the music speak the emotions, but you gotta let your image speak about your individuality. Your image can speak loads to people that have never even heard you play before and give them a clue about what they are in for, especially bands that are unknown.

Well, if image speaks for your individuality, then you dont have to worry about image. It should just be there by itself. If youre trying to change your it, then youre not trying to let it show your induviduality.
Quote by AmplifySilence
Well, if image speaks for your individuality, then you dont have to worry about image. It should just be there by itself. If youre trying to change your it, then youre not trying to let it show your induviduality.

remember that a live show is just as much about visual entertainment as it is listening to the music. youve gotta do something to set yourself apart from the thousands of other bands out there. this isnt like putting a priest in a blue mohawk and a leather its more about finding something you can wear and be comfortable in that people will believe. however image isnt just about the clothes you wear, its about how you carry yourself too, youve gotta carry yourself humbly enough so people can relate and connect with you but also cocky enough for them to believe they could never do what your doing up there. it also looks more professional in my opinion but to each his own, but the days of music speaking for itself is over. music videos completely changed that youve gotta have something extra
Quote by dmiwshicldply
remember that a live show is just as much about visual entertainment as it is listening to the music. youve gotta do something to set yourself apart from the thousands of other bands out there. this isnt like putting a priest in a blue mohawk and a leather its more about finding something you can wear and be comfortable in that people will believe. however image isnt just about the clothes you wear, its about how you carry yourself too, youve gotta carry yourself humbly enough so people can relate and connect with you but also cocky enough for them to believe they could never do what your doing up there. it also looks more professional in my opinion but to each his own, but the days of music speaking for itself is over. music videos completely changed that youve gotta have something extra

Hmmmmm.
*makes a note*
I wore ski goggles and a racoon hat when we performed crazy train, before that when we did sweet child of mine i was leather jacket and jeans.
That band has thus disbanded and im in a band that is a little more serious,
so i stick to bright green tshirts these days
actually i just like bright green, we are playing tomorow, ill wear jeans and t shirt but probably a bright festive colour for our end of year assembly
Quote by dmiwshicldply

Yeah, youre right. But what i mean is to have that "something you can wear and be confortable in that people will believe," you have to kinda dress how you would dress, instead of going out to look for a crazy style to change your image. I mean, if your style is already a crazy one, then that should be the way you look on stage. But the point isnt to go changing your style.

But yeah, i agree. Music doesnt speak for itself anymore... But maybe it's better if it does. I dont know.
Quote by AmplifySilence
Yeah, youre right. But what i mean is to have that "something you can wear and be confortable in that people will believe," you have to kinda dress how you would dress, instead of going out to look for a crazy style to change your image. I mean, if your style is already a crazy one, then that should be the way you look on stage. But the point isnt to go changing your style.

But yeah, i agree. Music doesnt speak for itself anymore... But maybe it's better if it does. I dont know.

i dont doubt that it should speak for itself its sad that it doesnt. but im guilty of it too, i want my rock stars to look larger than life i mean look at my favorite bands.... Hendrix, Zeppelin, GnR they all have larger than life images and i personally think that the reason they made it (especially GnR) is a mixture of their talent and their image hell GnR will tell you thats what made it for them
We used to all wear cargo shorts and wife beaters, diddo for the female bassist. But that was 1999...

I once asked my bassist to wear her school uniform, but she declined.
Quote by Brokntragedy
spandex and hairspray.

/thread

this. Hair metal all the way!

edit: you guys are pretty good.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Last edited by Corruption at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by dmiwshicldply
i dont doubt that it should speak for itself its sad that it doesnt. but im guilty of it too, i want my rock stars to look larger than life i mean look at my favorite bands.... Hendrix, Zeppelin, GnR they all have larger than life images and i personally think that the reason they made it (especially GnR) is a mixture of their talent and their image hell GnR will tell you thats what made it for them

True... But that's why i like bands like Nirvana. They never tried to be 'larger than life', they just made their music... But i am a GnR fan too, so i guess im also guilty.
Quote by AmplifySilence
True... But that's why i like bands like Nirvana. They never tried to be 'larger than life', they just made their music... But i am a GnR fan too, so i guess im also guilty.

o yea def. i loved the grunge scene just because all the bands couldnt care less how they looked or if you liked em or not they played the music for themselves which should be the way everyone does but unfortunately that doesnt work anymore
Quote by dmiwshicldply
o yea def. i loved the grunge scene just because all the bands couldnt care less how they looked or if you liked em or not they played the music for themselves which should be the way everyone does but unfortunately that doesnt work anymore

Yeah man, me too. Couldnt agree more.
Well it's up to the band if they want their own image or not of course.

But, I enjoy the idea of having an image. Cause the bands I'm into, such as GNR, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc. They all have an 'image'. I mean I think it's cool if people don't want to dress up. But I just think it's kind of odd when the band kinda looks like the audience.

Most of all, the music is the MOST important thing! Although, I do think a little image is important too because it does attract a little attention, you know? Cause it IS a live show right? Like GNR had that 'badass' image, then their music also showed that too, but if you've never heard their music, you'd think they were, kind of rocker-punk-glam-rock dudes.

Hmm, but that's just my opinion though! So yeah whatever, just play a good live show.
Image is more about how you play than what you wear. If you stand there motionless looking disinterested then that's going to be the main aspect of you're image whether you're in jeans and T-shirt or in full glam attire.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
dont get the idea that we are some preppy little pop band going for a certain image and putting looks b4 music.

You mean like a7x do? needed to point out the inherent hypocrisy there.
Page 1 of 2