Poll: Which stratocaster?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which stratocaster?
Clapton strat; God's axe, a modern Blackie.
3 25%
Jeff Beck strat; Hot pickups and stable tremolo.
2 17%
Mark Knopfler strat; Texas Specials, bascially a 62' strat.
1 8%
Eric Johnson strat; Basically a 1957 strat + custom pickups + rewired tone pot - string trees.
6 50%
Voters: 12.
Forewarning; effing long post, please bear with and don't "tl;dr" me.

NOTE::: New option added as an afterthought, not in the poll; American Standard strat. Just post saying this one if you think it.

Alright, I've narrowed my next guitar down to four guitars, all American Fender Stratocasters, all signature models. I'm not looking for recommendations of other guitars, I want opinions between these four so I don't get all indecisive like I did with my most recent acquisition, guitar-wise. Anyway, here are the four(I don't want opinions based on the guitarist that plays them, I want opinions based on their specs and my gear. Ie, don't pick the EC strat "because it's Slowhand's stage strat");

1. Eric Clapton strat - $1,600 - Pros; Maple, my preferred fretboard wood. 22 frets. Noiseless-ness. I love Eric's tone, and I have the main other element of it(class-AB tube amp), and decent blues hands. Mid and treble boosts. I heard Pete Townshend's when I went to see The Who, also coming through Fender tube amps; it was modified yes, but if I'm right the main mod was the piezo pickup, and the tone was incredible IMO. - Cons; Maple is hella expensive to refret. Noiseless apparently drains some tone, though I didn't hear it when I saw The Who. Though not as much as Steve Vai, I like my tremolos, and the six-point on this thing will detune easier than some of the other bridges I could get.

2. Jeff Beck strat - $1,600 - Pros; two-point trem, locking tuners, and a roller nut; it's basically as stable as a Floyd last I tried it. Noiseless pickups. Apparently according to some the Hot Noiseless pickups are as hot as EMG's. 22 frets. - Cons; Rosewood is one of the woods I'm less fond of. Locking tuners, are, according to some, difficult to restring, and I enjoy slide-wrap-wind-done restringing. I really don't need that much hotness most of the time.

3. Mark Knopfler strat - $1,600 - Pros; Basically a 1962 strat according to a lot of reviews I read. Texas Special's, which seem to have been one of Fender's biggest hits recently, as their used in guitars for everything from blues(SRV strat) to metal(Adrian Smith uses them in his strat's single-coil spots), plus I loved their tone when I tried a Roadhouse strat. The only amongst these with five stars on Musicians Friend(though I generally don't trust those reviews) - Cons; I'm not a huge Knopfler or Dire Straits fan. 21 frets. Less-stable six-point tremolo. Rosewood board.

4. Eric Johnson strat - $1,750 - Pros; Again, according to the reviews, basically a vintage strat(1957 this time), in a more affordable, modern shell. Maple board. No string trees. Second tone pot rewired from the mid pickup to the bridge pickup, good for me since I never use the middle pickup alone, but occasionally use the other two alone. Custom pickups are supposed to basically be a 1957 strat's pickups with an overwound bridge pickup. - Cons; Six-point bridge. 21 frets. Maple is damn expensive to get refretted. Most expensive of the guitars.

5(later addition, not in the poll, just post if you think it); American Standard. - Pros; Finish, fretboard and bridge are all to my liking. Cons - Not positive I liked the pickups when I tried them.

My setup is in my sig, but I occasionally add in a Boss DD-3 and/or CE-5, and sometimes I replace the TS9DX with a Russian Big Muff Pi. Add an MXR Phase 90 in if and when I actually work up the willingness to plunk down the $80 for it.

I have no idea who I play like, but my most recent influences have been Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, SRV, Brian May and Jimmy Page. I try to throw a bit of everything into my set from folk to nu-metal, but mainly I play older rock and some blues-rock.

So, with that in mind, which of these would you recommend me?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by lefthandman9876
get a normal one and save yourself the money

the differance is minimal.

Hmm...okay, American Standard added. Not in the poll as I can't edit that though; just post if you think American Standard I guess.

Get your own strat, get your own tone. That's what they did.
Get a cheaper one. They're all fine, and if you can tell the difference between a cheaper one and a pricier one you would be able to answer your own question.
Actually - here's the answer. Get a cheaper strat PLUS a tele. They are actually not that bad.
Quote by lsw444
Get your own strat, get your own tone. That's what they did.
Get a cheaper one. They're all fine, and if you can tell the difference between a cheaper one and a pricier one you would be able to answer your own question.
Actually - here's the answer. Get a cheaper strat PLUS a tele. They are actually not that bad.

Hmm...well, I do kind of want a tele...alright, American Standard strat(I prefer a strat over a tele, though I like both) and MIM Standard tele(with a potential pickup change)?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, I do kind of want a tele...alright, American Standard strat(I prefer a strat over a tele, though I like both) and MIM Standard tele(with a potential pickup change)?

do this, mainly strat bit though, tele is just a plus
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
do this, mainly strat bit though, tele is just a plus

Alright then, in that case, American Standard or Deluxe? The deluxe has noiseless pickups and S-1 switching, but if the noiseless really drains some tone, I don't want to spend $200 for a strat with less tone.