i have an old kay acoustic guitar that i scored off ebay for £5, but i really like it so i set out converting it to left handed, i looked at conversion kits but they didnt fit the irregular bridge slot, i noticed the bridge hole almost perfectly fit a tunomatic, so i got to work with a steak knife (i was drunk) and removed a bit of the rosewood from the bridge, i then popped my TOM in there and tuned her up, seemed fine. untill i realised that the action was UBER high, i didnt check how much taller the TOM was than the old bridge, so does anyone know of anything like a TOM thats fully adjustable that is a nice low profile so i can stick it on my acoustic, intonate it up and get playable action

thanks
Try your wood working skills. Find a small block of wood and maybe a saw instead of a steak knife.
well thats no good to me now is it? and the wood isnt the problem its the bridge, i couldnt do anything with the old bridge as the intonation was horrid as it was the wrong way round, i need to fit an adjustable bridge, and they only way of doing that was by extending the bridge slot, i cant find an adjustable bridge thats low profile let alone one 5mm thick!
I was saying, make your own bridge. It's not that hard, just a little trial and error.
I'm impressed with anyone who will go after their guitar with household appliances...my last crazed effort involved a pancake spatula and clothes iron...

Pics might help.

Could you remove the rosewood all the way down to the face of the guitar? Would that give you enough clearance? Maybe just remove the bridge all together?
grr if i can be botherd

but its down all the way to the body wood, i JUST NEED A LOWER PROFILE ADJUSTABLE BRIDGE LIKE A TUNOMATIC

i dont have a problem with the wood or anything, just if someone can find me a tunomatic or somthing that is half as tall i will give them 9000+internets
Drill two holes in the body and fix the TOM down, without using its leg height, into a piece of wood underneath (inside the body).

That should give you a similar height to the original bridge, but with the advantage of intonation adjustment via the saddles.
cant afford it

and i could do that but the bracing crosses around there and it would just get fiddly, il probably ask the guitar shop again, even though it would be like ten times what i payed for the guitar (£5) to do this

I FUKKEN HATE BEING LEFT HANDED!
You can afford a fuzz factory, but not a left handed acoustic?
Quote by tlt31
You can afford a fuzz factory, but not a left handed acoustic?

thats far from the point, i have two left handed acoustics actually

i bought it because i had character, was £5! and sounded nice when i jammed on it playing it right handed

and if i cut the bracing out the way then the whole thing will break, its there for a reason moron
Moron? Really? People are willing to indulge you in your knife wielding manic efforts, and that's the thanks you give back?

You are the one attacking it with a steak knife, trying to cobble together some pos five pound guitar.

You said you couldn't screw the TOM down because some braces are in the way.

Well, step back and look at it objectively.

You have ruined the guitar already.

It isn't playable, cause you've hacked it up.

The intent of the statement was to remove enough brace to make clearance to screw down the TOM, in order to get better action.

If it's broke and unplayable, then you really don't have much more to lose by taking a chance and modifying the brace.

But, hey, you're the smart one, Julia Child.
Quote by fyrefly
Moron? Really? People are willing to indulge you in your knife wielding manic efforts, and that's the thanks you give back?

You are the one attacking it with a steak knife, trying to cobble together some pos five pound guitar.

The intent of the statement was to remove enough brace to make clearance to screw down the TOM, in order to get better action.

If it's broke and unplayable, then you really don't have much more to lose by taking a chance and modifying the brace.

Actually, he shouldn't need to cut the brace away. Behind the brace, will be a trapezoid shaped bit of wood, directly under where the string holes are.

If he can fiddle it, this will serve as a good anchoring point for the TOM and will be roughly where the intonation point is (if he moves the TOM forward a touch).

But as you say, he would seem to be Rain Man, so I am sure he can figure that out..
D...d...d...definitely.
Quote by fyrefly

actually today i fixed it and it works perfectly (this is copypasta of another forum i post on)

a steak knife
a VERY sharp craft knife
several screwdrivers
sandpaper
a drill
lots of other crap

and sorted it out

i grinded, chipped, steak knifed, and sort of whittled the wood away then drilled in the TOM, and it works PERFECTLY!!!!

the intonation is good, the brige holds nicely and it sounds GREAT! really crisp and bright with plenty of nice warm mids and subtle bass

in total this guitar cost me ?10 haha 5 for the guitar and another 5 for the strings, i had a TOM lying around hahah

heres are pics of my handywork (sorry my new camera has RIDICULOUSLY high resolution :P)

i just need to lower the action as the TOM is much higher than my old bridge, but thats ok as its a bolt on acoustic haha, il unscrew it and shim it tomorow im too tired now

so there you have it, i have not ruined the guitar actually :P