Ok here is my situation. Been playing for about a full year now and i know that ain't anywhere near where most good guitarist are but im trying. i have alot of problems and i was trying to gain some info on them.

1. I have a problem keeping with one song, not that i get frustrated but the main thing is i want to play everything at once.

2. I can't figure out how to work the tone knobs on the guitar. I mean i know how to turn them but it only sounds a little different to me. Same with that amp(spider sixII) I can't get a handle on what sound i want. I can get clean working well now and chorus but i don't even get what the difference between distortion and overdrive is.

3. Im a little confused about music theory. I learned most of it but am missing something here like.

is Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor scales actually modes too?
like:

I-Ionian-Major. WWHWWWH
ii.-Dorian- . WHWWWHW
iii.-Phrygian- . HWWWHWW
IV.-Lydian- . WWWHWWH
V.-Mixolydian- . WWHWWHW
iv.-Aeolian-natural minor. WHWWHWW (also Desc. Mel. Minor?)
iiv-Locrian- HWWHWWW

(Do these fit in there somewhere?)
Harmonic Minor: W H W W H WH H
melodic minor: W H W W W W H.

4. Having trouble with barre chords. Do you learn them in the same way with chord progression? as in you eventually learn to 'shape' the chords is?

5. If you take a Ionian in the key of A and A is the root of it all does that make B a dorian part of it? or am i confuzzled?

6. How does Pentatonic go into Modes? Does it fit at all?

If any of these questions can be answered it would be most appeciated.

Ps. Youtube depresses me something awful. The bane of all guitarist.
Wow.

Talk about a mouthful.

Dude, you suck because you're trying to figure it all out at once. Take it one step at a time. Manage your practicing into a little warm-up, a little song learning, and a little theory.

Modes will make sense once you've figured out everything before that, so don't try to swallow it all at once, you'll just burn yourself out.

And you'll find all the answers to your questions in the Electric Guitar forum and in the columns and lessons here on UG.

Good luck man.
my honest advice: just play.

technicalitys trouble many but in my opinion the best play from the heart. you sound like you're forcing the issue WAYYY too much. if theres one thing i've learned from playing guitar/writing its that the best comes naturally and forced material just seems inadequate and unsatisfying
XboxLive Gamertag: xhybr1dth30ryx

Quote by Zugunruhe
Thats a very insightful post, guy with Mario dry humping Peach as his avatar.

Quote by DownbëloW
ah, UG, just like myspace, but no pictures.
the good old days...
1. don't get what you're saying there

2. the guitar tone knobs won't make much difference to an untrained ear, so don't sweat it.

3. modes of the A major scale all have the same notes as the A major scale. Unless you're playing modal music, you won't use the sounds of the other scales besides the major/minor ones. Don't worry about this theory at this stage, just make sure you know your major and minor scales up and down the neck.
Also, the harmonic minor and melodic minor scales aren't modes of the major scale, they're completely different scales altogether. They also have their own respective modes, but you won't have to worry about that right now.

4. Barre chords are a tough thing for most people to get at first, but the key thing is practice. You have to force yourself to play them, even though they'll sound crappy. Eventually they'll start sounding better and better. Once you learn the two main shapes, you can simply move those shapes up and down the neck to change chords.

5. B dorian is simply the A major scale started on the B note instead of the A note. It'll be hard for you to tell the difference when simply playing it, because everything you play will want to resolve to A major. In fact, unless you're stepping outside the box, the chords you're playing it over will likely mean you're simply playing the A major scale. Since they both have the same notes, the only thing that separates them is how they resolve. Think of it this way. A minor and C major have the same notes, but there's a big difference between playing in A minor or C major. The difference is how it resolves. However, with modes, it's a problem to really feel like you're playing in anything other than a major key or a minor key, because those sounds are the strongest when you play around with the chords in a scale.

6. Pentatonics are just like your major scale modes, except they take out a couple of notes. (the 4 and 7 in the major pentatonic, and the 2 and the 6 in the minor pentatonic). If you learn the pentatonic scales and their shapes all over the neck, you'll see that they're just like the major scale modes with a few notes taken out.
You need to relax and practice what you know.

Practice it over and over again and when you have mastered it, and I mean MASTERED it, move on to the next thing. Step by step.

All of the problems you mention will be solved by consistent practicing and good old simple time. The more time you spend playing the guitar, the more attuned your ear will become to the differences the tone knob offers to the guitar.

The more you study music theory (without biting off more than you can chew) and applying it to the guitar in a practical sense of playing around with the scales (I recommend starting with the major and the minor scales and once you have mastered those and switching between them effortlessly all over the fretboard and THEN moving into the modes) you will begin to see the relationship between all of those scales, the subtle differences between them and the characteristics of each. The harmonic and melodic minors don't necesarily fit into the modes but you must understand that the modes are not the end all, be all of musical scales. These scales offer the minor scale different flavors that can be practically used in your playing but are actually considered to be completely different scales with their own modes.
Technically you can construct modes from each of the minor scales as well as from the major scales. You will pick all of that up with time.

The one important thing I can say about chords and barre chords is this: while it is helpful to think about them in terms of "blocks" or "shapes" to get the way you shape your hand needs to go into to form the chord into your muscle memory, it is essential, I repeat essential, to understand that each individual note within the chord affects the over all sound of the chord. The more you begin to write your own chord progressions the more this will become obvious. A good chord progression is not about where the chords as a whole go, but where the individual notes within the chord go.

The Dorian scale of an A Ionian scale would be the B Dorian. This means that the Dorian scale you are thinking about, whilst being a part of the A Ionian scale, is actually a scale in the key of B, for all intents and purposes. Technically, it is a part of the key of A major, but it helps me to think of it as a scale in the key of B. It is also important to keep in mind that A Ionian and B Dorian are the same exact scale just starting at different points or notes.

The pentatonics are versions of these scales that have all the "non-essential" or color-tones removed from the scale. They are, essentially, safe versions of the scales. It is not that they fit within the modes, it is that they actually ARE these scales; they just have 2 notes removed.

Major (Ionian) Scale - Root, Major 2nd, Major 3rd, Perfect 4th, Perfect 5th, Major 6th, Major 7th, Octave.

Major Pentatonic Scale - Root, Major 2nd, Major 3rd, Perfect 5th, Major 6th, Major 7th, Octave.

Understanding of all of these things will only come with time and practice.
three things:

1.does the Modes work like this?

I D P L M A L
I- A B C D E F G
D- B C D E F G A
P- C D E F G A B
L- D E F G A B C
M- E F G A B C D
A- F G A B C D E
L- G A B C D E F

Looking at this you would say that the first line would equal
I=A -move to next scale-B
D=B C
P=C D
L=D E
M=E F
A=F G
L=G A
and if that is true what happens to the inbetweens? # and b?

2. How do you rid yourself of 'anchoring?'

3. Is there some people no matter how they try just are not able to play right? Not me personally just putting that out there.

Side note: I got ADHD and learn faster than most but im easily distracted.
Quote by Xaxu
three things:

1.does the Modes work like this?

I D P L M A L
I- A B C D E F G
D- B C D E F G A
P- C D E F G A B
L- D E F G A B C
M- E F G A B C D
A- F G A B C D E
L- G A B C D E F

Looking at this you would say that the first line would equal
I=A -move to next scale-B
D=B C
P=C D
L=D E
M=E F
A=F G
L=G A
and if that is true what happens to the inbetweens? # and b?

2. How do you rid yourself of 'anchoring?'

3. Is there some people no matter how they try just are not able to play right? Not me personally just putting that out there.

Side note: I got ADHD and learn faster than most but im easily distracted.

First of all, the key of A major is

A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, A

Second of all, I don't really know what you are trying to say with that "graph," but in the key of A major,

Dorian starts on B = B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, A, B
Phrygian starts on C# = C#, D, E, F#, G#, A, B, C#
Lydian starts on D = D, E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D
Mixolydian starts on E = E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D, E
Aeolian starts on F# = F#, G#, A, B, C#, D, E, F#
and Locrian starts on G# = G#, A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#

Each of the different modes has its on Wholestep Halfstep pattern, perhaps learning that would help?

2. I don't know why you would consider 'anchoring' something you want to get rid of. If you watch people like Hendrix and Clapton play they use both "anchoring" and "floating." It is good to have both down so well you don't even think about switching between the two, it just happens naturally.

The best way to practice without anchoring is by playing scales or chromatic scales while focusing on your right hand and forcing it to not attach itself to the body of the guitar. It will probably be akward at first but the more you do it the more natural it will become.

3. It is my honest belief that everyone and anyone can achieve what they set their mind to. I believe that there might be styles of music that a certain person is better suited to based on their subconscious structure and their likes and dislikes in music but I do not think that a person is physically incapable of playing "right." I also don't really think that there is a "playing right."

All of these rules of music that we spend so much time learning are pretty abstract and, frankly, a bit absurd. There are NO real rules in music. Anything goes as long as it sounds good.
Quote by Gibson_God11

technicalitys trouble many but in my opinion the best play from the heart. you sound like you're forcing the issue WAYYY too much. if theres one thing i've learned from playing guitar/writing its that the best comes naturally and forced material just seems inadequate and unsatisfying

This. It's how I do it.
Quote by Gibson_God11

BUUUUUH! Wrong.

Go learn some theory.

Will reply to TS in a sec..
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Xaxu

1. I have a problem keeping with one song, not that i get frustrated but the main thing is i want to play everything at once.

This isn't so important. It all helps with dexterity and stuff, but if you ever want to play for people, you should learn the whole thing.
Quote by Xaxu

2. I can't figure out how to work the tone knobs on the guitar. I mean i know how to turn them but it only sounds a little different to me. Same with that amp(spider sixII) I can't get a handle on what sound i want. I can get clean working well now and chorus but i don't even get what the difference between distortion and overdrive is.

Tone knobs should make a big difference. The difference is less noticable on the bridge pickup so try a different pickup. If you can't tell on the other pickupsm you're ear migt need a little bit more training or maybe the pots (electronics) are the wrong value. This happened on the bridge tone of my Epiphone G-310. A 5 dollar replacement pot fixed it. Distortion and overdrive are pretty much the same thing. Don't worry about it too much.
Quote by Xaxu

3. Im a little confused about music theory. I learned most of it but am missing something here like.

is Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor scales actually modes too?
like:

No. Dorian and phyrigian and stuff are modes of the MAJOR scale. Harmonic minor and melodic minor have their own modes. I'm not too familiar with minor scales though... I believe one of them is just the major scale with a flat third (none of the major modes have only a flattened third. Dorian has a flattened third AND a flattened seventh, which is probably the closest).
Quote by Xaxu

4. Having trouble with barre chords. Do you learn them in the same way with chord progression? as in you eventually learn to 'shape' the chords is?

Well...there are 4 basic barre chord shapes (root 6 major, root 6 minor, root 5 major, root 5 minor). They stay the for any note unlike open chords.
Quote by Xaxu

5. If you take a Ionian in the key of A and A is the root of it all does that make B a dorian part of it? or am i confuzzled?

Yes. What you should do is write out the A major scale, then write the modes in order underneath the notes. A major (or ionian) is A B C# D E F# G#. So you can have B dorian, C phyrigian, C# Lydian, D Mixolydian etc etc.
Quote by Xaxu

6. How does Pentatonic go into Modes? Does it fit at all?

No. Pentatonic only has 5 notes (hence pent). The other modes all have 7.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Forget about modes for now. You're just confusing yourself.

Do you know how to recognize different intervals (perfect fifth, major third etc) on paper and your guitar? Do you know all keys off by heart? Do you know which keys are enharmonic? Do you know the major scale's intervals? Can you harmonize it?

Imo, you should answer those questions, in that order. Until you start getting a grip with that, modes are just out of your league. Not trying to put you down or anything, it's just true. You jumped right in at the deep end of the pool without learning how to tread water in the shallow end first.

Quote by Gibson_God11

Well, this is kinda what I do. I have learnt a little theory and am still trying to learn more, but this way works. I find the songs I write that sounds best are songs that are a mix between knowing some theory and playing from the heart too.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*