Hey, recently I've been listening to a lot of Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica, and I would really like to start playing that kind of metal.

But problem is, all the songs I've heard are WAY over my skill level.

What can I do to solve that?
you should start with easier songs from propably other bands. Yes i know it sucks you cant play the music you like. You can also try some bits and pieces from the songs that are easier. Also i think Sixpounder by C.O.B is a bit easier than many of their songs? Tho its in Drop C i guess so you have to do some tuning unless you usally play with that. Those bands play pretty hard stuff (or not sure about Sonata but im guessing it is hard).
Nothing you can do but practice until you are good enough to play what you want.
As jonne said, Sixpounder is an easier song by COB, also try Needled 24/7 and Are You Dead Yet?. For practicing lead work, Champagne Bath by Sonata Arctica isn't too hard and works great as an exercise but you're going to have to start off very slow
ohai little sig.
Practice is the only way to get better,that or ripping out Vai or Satch's heart and eating it to gain their power.

But seriously, you can try easier songs and progress that way or you can study specific parts of the songs you like and play them at a slower tempo to learn the techniques involved and get a grasp on what's going on in the song,then as you become accustomed to that tempo increase the speed and so on until you're playing it at the songs regular pace.

Above all the key is to practice,just choose the method that you like the most and that fits your style.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

They're easier than you think, you just gotta break everything down and master pieces at a time. I know Bed of razors isn't nearly as hard as it sounds, you just really gotta work at it and have a good attention span.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Thanks a lot

I'll take a look at Sixpounder and Champagne Bath then ^^
Quote by Jay2007
Thanks a lot

I'll take a look at Sixpounder and Champagne Bath then ^^

yeah man, pretty sure sixpounder was the first song i learnt from bodom. It's a good feel-good song y'know? Not amazingly difficult but sounds awesome.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w