Hi.
Having just purchased the carl martin red repeat after alot of trying óf diferent units, I kindof wonder whether I made a mistake or not. The two units I compared the most were the red repeat and the mxr carbon copy. I found that the digital carl martin sounded warmer on shorter delay times, as I will be using the most, whereas the mxr seemed to be very bright and only warmed up with higer settings. The carl also seemed a bit more transparent, only adding a bit of warmth, but not changing the general tone, which i found to not be the case with the mxr The salesman could not give me an explanation for this.
I can see that most people here seem to prefer the mxr and I wonder if I was doing something wrong. I really like the sound of the carl martin, but you know how it is, one has to make sure one is not missing out on something

Oh and just tried the danelectro reel echo the other day. Seemed very fun, but didnot expect much from it as my experience with danelectro is not the greatest BUT it sounded surprisingly good, and huge array of possibilities, though it was very noisy, anyone have experience with this unit? http://www.thomann.de/be/danelectro_dte1_reel_echo_bodeneffektgeraet.htm
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 14, 2008,
It's all up to preference. There's no "right" and "wrong," only what sounds good to you offers you what you need/want. Congrats on ur purchase... seems like ur enjoying it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
thanks man I sure am. But wanna make sure I didnt eliminate the mxr(and analogue units in general) under the wrong circumstances

Can it be that analogue units tend to color the tone more, and seem colder and brighter on shoter settings, and actually are best suited for longer trails?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by chrisdam
thanks man I sure am. But wanna make sure I didnt eliminate the mxr(and analogue units in general) under the wrong circumstances

Can it be that analogue units tend to color the tone more, and seem colder and brighter on shoter settings, and actually are best suited for longer trails?

Actually, analogue delays are better suited for short timings and provide an "organic" decaying in sound quality as it trails off. Digital delays work better for longer settings and can be used with tap tempo.

Or at least that's how most ppl would perceive it as. Like i said, it's all in whatever it is that works for you.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
allright thanks man
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx: