Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by chrisdam
except volume

Which is at 10
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It depends WHAT tone you want. If you want an Angus Young studio tone.

You need a JTM45.

These are the settings on my JTM45 for AC/DC tone. But unless you have a JTM45, these settings are absolutely meaningless. On 90% of amps this setting would give you a weak, buzzy, fizzy tone. Also, I use a Gibson les paul with PAFs, Angus used a Gibson SG with t-tops so my guitar sounds darker and warmer whereas his sounds brighter, cleaner with an edgier top end. So my settings have to compensate a little.

Presence - 7
Treble - 8
Middle - 7
Bass - 2
Volume 1 - 6 (possibly higher depending on what kind of pickups you have)
Volume 2 - 2 (the channels bridged)

Volume on 10 is for Deep Purple or Black Sabbath. Neither Angus or Malcolm have particularly saturated tone.

Live I'm pretty sure he used a bunch of different amps depending on the venue, Marshall JTM45s, JTM50s, 1987s, 1959s, JCM800s. I'm not really certain on exact models, I'm sure there are AC/DC fans who know more than me on the subject matter. I do believe Malcolm Young used Marshall superbasses. though.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 14, 2008,
The basic guts of his tone are a british voiced tube amp, plenty of midrange and treble, not a lot of gain, craploads of volume and hit those strings HARD. A massive part of Angus's tone comes from the way he attacks the strings.

For the guitar an SG has a little more bite and a little less smoothness than a Les Paul, if you have a Les Paul or similar and want to roughen it up a bit then bump the treble up a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah Treble and mids waaay up there throw maybe a TS or SD1 to boost it a little. Not very much bass like put it at 2-4 then crank that sucker REALLY loud painfully loud I mean like turn it to 11 then get a wrench and turn it some more.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
no boost for AC/DC tone, neither Angus or Malcolm used a lot of gain, it's a very clean sound with some grit for chording and Angus's lead tone is just a very fat sustaining clean with a bit of hair on it, but mostly just from the natural compression and sustain from an overdriven JTM45. Putting a boost in front of a JTM45 would get you something like Van Halen. Not AC/DC.
I meant strictly as a clean boost for leads
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I meant strictly as a clean boost for leads

clean boost + already driving amp = harder driving amp no way to save that one
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by al112987
no boost for AC/DC tone, neither Angus or Malcolm used a lot of gain, it's a very clean sound with some grit for chording and Angus's lead tone is just a very fat sustaining clean with a bit of hair on it, but mostly just from the natural compression and sustain from an overdriven JTM45. Putting a boost in front of a JTM45 would get you something like Van Halen. Not AC/DC.

I'd say angus' lead tones are nowhere near close to "clean with a bit of hair on it". If your point is not to use a boost, I agree, but really the jtm cranked sure gives you a good portion of saturaion Nothing like vh or 80's stuff surely, but anywhere close to clean it ain't
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
No, actually the JTM45 lead tone has very little actual grit on it. It's hard to explain in words, it's not "grainy" sounding is what I mean. Also, I'm not talking about a JTM45 turned to 10, I mean a JTM45 turned to around 6 or 7 at most for AC/DC tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 14, 2008,