Hi,

I was wondering if I was to take parts of music from a concerto or something by an artist such as Beethoven would it be classed as infringement of copyright?

I live in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Nope. It's perfectly legal to quote the works, though if you sample a recording of it, you may need permission from whoever played on the recording.
Quote by blue_strat
Nope. It's perfectly legal to quote the works, though if you sample a recording of it, you may need permission from whoever played on the recording.

It's more to put into original pieces.

I just find it sad that there are so many good pieces of music out there that may be lost in history in the next 20/30 years because a large part of this generation seems to completely disregard anything that isn't made in the last 10 years let alone 400 years so i'd like to bring a bit of it back but don't want to get in trouble in the process
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Quote by Gwynnell
I just find it sad that there are so many good pieces of music out there that may be lost in history in the next 20/30 years because a large part of this generation seems to completely disregard anything that isn't made in the last 10 years let alone 400 years so i'd like to bring a bit of it back but don't want to get in trouble in the process

Mozart at least became way more popular in the '80s than beforehand, partly due to the film Amadeus.
might depend on how much of it you take.

trey anastasio took some theme from a classical peice for the bridge of the song Guelah Papyrus but that's not for too long
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
i recall matt bellamy of Muse being heavily influenced by classical music and ended up using some notable melodies occasionally.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Who's gonna sue you?

People may frown on it...but seriously...Who's gonna sue?
It's a blurry subject..Music is only supposed to be protected for a
limited amount of time. ( I think 75 yrs or something like that...dont quote me)
But Court cases can be unpredictable and extremely contradictory to the laws.

And last of all...Who's gonna sue you?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 14, 2008,
Quote by Gwynnell

That's every single generation, there's always a group the enjoys serious music and a larger populartion that couldn't care less. It's still a noble goal to expose peeople to it, but you're going to have a damn hard time not being cheesy in the process. and you're probably not going to like much of the music that is more than 400 years old, reniassance music and gregorian chant?
I think Classical music sounds awesome on guitar with a high gain heavy
metal rig....especially with some reverb, chorus and delay.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Make up your own classical part and be creativity. There will alway be something in the back of your mind say that this is not yours. It is more worth it knowing your creativity made this song.
Cheers for your advice guys.

I'll bare it all in mind.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Music becomes public domain 50 years after the owner of the copyright dies. A lot of people are getting pretty excited because in a few years, the complete works of Elvis Presley will no longer be copyrighted. However, as was noted above, you can only use the melody/lyrics. The actual recorded performance is still under copyright.
Koslack, Elvis died about 30 years ago... also, I don't think he wrote any of his own songs.
Quote by Philbigtime
Koslack, Elvis died about 30 years ago...

I was just about to say that, there's still like 18-19 years left :p
The law used to be 50 years after the death of the composer. Not all countries, but many have extended that to somewhere between 70-80 years. I'm almost certain the US has extended it to 70 years. Now is that law retroactive? I don't know, but I would guess so. That would make Buddy Holly's work no longer available as public domain at the end of 2009. But instead... 2029.

Now, about classical music. This can be fairly tricky. The melodies and lyrics for most of these composers (died before 1938-ish) public domain. However, if the piece has been *arranged* by another person, and you use his/her arrangement, you could be still in violation of copyright.

This generally applies, though, when you see a musician get up (an orchestra, solo piano player, whatever) with a piece of sheet music that they have obviously photocopied from Hal Leonard Publishing or something.

If it was written in your own hand, you'd be fine, I'm pretty sure. But you would have to go to a version of the original source to ensure that things have not been simplified for the purposes of a particular arrangement. (as is often done in beginning and intermediate band repertoire, or for something written for one set of instruments is re-arranged to include/exclude different combinations of instruments....)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In the first few Bodom albums, Alexi plays some classical in some songs. It's public domain anyway. You should be safe.
Quote by Gwynnell

What sucks is that it is hard to find really good instrumental celtic music. OLD celtic music.
Quote by koslack
Some of Elvis' stuff is already public domain in Europe.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5454532/

Or maybe not....

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/node/5906

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.